1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Exclamation 2 URLs Pointing towards the same page!!

Hi all ,

I am currently working on a web-site which is having two link, one local(.co.) and the other international(.com). i am working with the same KWs on both of them. but i was amazed to find that though the .co. one is having a high ranking/positon (almost 4th, 8th and 9th with different KWs) the .com one is not to be seen anywhere:-? !!!!!!!

Can anyone explain: ????????

Regards
    Fai-Hans
  3. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

How did you attach those two addresses to that site? Did you use a 301-style permanent redirect? From the .co.xx to the .com or vice versa?
    ...please help me w/ the real Redscowl Bluesingsky...how2 check backlinks...now postin' @ SEO Refugee ...
    <`)~ LOL now that I finally have a paypal account, I'm charging 19,- for SEO advice via PM. Seriously...
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Wit
    How did you attach those two addresses to that site? Did you use a 301-style permanent redirect? From the .co.xx to the .com or vice versa?

both the links are pointing to the same page. there is not redirecting used. they had been mapped to the same server. while the content and the backlinks are the same, there is not difference between the 2 sites except the URLs.

-Fai-hans
  7. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g

Google may be treating this as "duplicate content".

Often they show both URLs alternatively, so ranking the one for - say - one week and then the other. Also, people in other countries, and using other versions of Google, may be getting the other version of the site.

But unless there's a proper (301-style) redirect from the one URL pointing to the other URL, you're going to have to hunt for backlinks for both of them to get them to rank well...
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Wit
    Google may be treating this as "duplicate content".

Often they show both URLs alternatively, so ranking the one for - say - one week and then the other. Also, people in other countries, and using other versions of Google, may be getting the other version of the site.

But unless there's a proper (301-style) redirect from the one URL pointing to the other URL, you're going to have to hunt for backlinks for both of them to get them to rank well...
    i had been tracking both of them since the last 6 months are the results are still the same. when i tried other things the ranking raised amazingly for other KWs for .co.xx but not for .com. i am also in touch with my friend across 34 countries and their comments matches with my research, means they too are getting the .co.xx site while searching. both of them are having good backlinks from sites with a good PR, so i dnt think tht shd be a problem.

comments???
  11. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g

Care to share the URL?

Mess it up a little if you like (for the search engines - later), like so: www * ex@mple * com

PM (just for once ) if you're hesitant...
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I've never done this personally but I thought only one domain name would rank well if you had multiple names all pointing to one server. Does the suffix make any difference?

I'm sure that if you had domain.com mydomain.com and bigdomain.com all pointing to one place you could never get listed for all three, the one that got listed would probably be the one with the most BLs. Would it be different if you had mydomain.co.uk mydomain.com mydomain.de etc. where the suffix was changed? How would you produce your IBLs say the home page for example?
  15. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g

You just choose one to optimise, and put up a REAL 301 redirect (using your .htaccess file - I don't trust Control Panels) from the other domain to that one.

It doesn't matter if you change the domain name ("mydomain") or the tld (".com"). Another domain will always be another domain.

Think of the www. problem - isn't that silly? Why would search engines consider a domain with and without the preceding www. as being different? But still, they do....
  17. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Wit
    You just choose one to optimise, and put up a REAL 301 redirect (using your .htaccess file - I don't trust Control Panels) from the other domain to that one.

It doesn't matter if you change the domain name ("mydomain") or the tld (".com"). Another domain will always be another domain.

Think of the www. problem - isn't that silly? Why would search engines consider a domain with and without the preceding www. as being different? But still, they do....
    what i this is it could be a difference of the suffixes (.com) & (.co.xx). but the wonder is that its ranking for the same keyword at the same position both in google.com and in the local google. i think a good ranking in .com shd provide a higher rank in local (.co.xx).

Donna/Wit/others whom dont know yet, you ppe being a aces in this, can u come out with some commentary on the suffex issues (.com)(.co.xx)(.net) etc., and also about the redirecting and mapping issues.

waiting you responses

Regards
    Fai_hans
  19. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Thanks that sounds like I imagined, I get the feeling that trying to get the same website well listed for too different domain names would mean a lot more work with BLs and I guess you still have a duplicate content issue so you may never achieve you goal.
  21. No Profile Picture

Exclamation Is it really BLs matter????

Now read this.

the .com site is having more backlinks from many good PR sites with a PR of more than 6 whereas the .co.xx site merely have 18 links out of which most are from the local site which are not into the same business. this was a link due to development of site, like Designed and Developed by.........

Now the picture is smthing different to what i was guessing. if the BLs really makes a dif then .com should rank way ahead of .co.xx

comments please