1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

2 Countries, 2 Websites and Double Content

Hello,

we have a website for US, URL is us.companyname.com. Now we have launched a second domain name pr.companyname.com for our subsidary in Puerto Rico.
    Both sites use the same website template and have the same content (products, services etc.). Only small things like contact information etc. are different.
    Also both sites are hosted on the same server.
    As a result the PuertoRico site is ranked very good in google, but the us site is "behind the scenes" since 3 weeks.

My questions:
    • Reason maybe is (most likely) the duplicate content + same domain + same server.
      Is another reason possible?
    • Why was the US site penalized and not the PR site? (US site page-rank 5-4, PR site 2-3).
    • What should we do now?
      Move one site to another server? New domain? Exclude the PR site from indexing (our marketing manager in PR would be happy about that)?
    Beste Regards
    HM
  3. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Chances are that your situation will be reversed shortly... So your P.Rico site will get coverage on the serps, whereas your US site will be dropped temporarily. It happens a lot to sites with pages with similar/duplicate content... Google tries to be "fair" and lists each of the duplicate pages alternatively, dropping the other(s). They don't pay attention to pagerank etc. in that case...

To get both sites to rank, provide different content AND change bits of your html code... Most important is to have different titles (and meta tags if you use them), but toss the rest around as well if you can.

You can check copyscape.com to see if search engines are expected to consider your pages similar/duplicate...
  5. No Profile Picture

Hello,

Originally Posted by Wit
    To get both sites to rank, provide different content AND change bits of your html code
    yes, but this is our problem, because these hundreds of "application descriptions" and product information are the same in every country.
    And it is to much work to change these pages completely for Puerto Rico.
    HTML-code: we're using a CMS, so this is also a problem. But I'll talk to our programmer.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

As these are big sites with same content, It is not easy to build two seperate sites. I would work on one big site with all the content and small seperate site with other domain, IP and content.
  9. No Profile Picture

If you have a large site where it is possible to identify clusters of pages that target the same keywords, maybe you can disallow indexing of half the pages in site A and disallow the other half in site B.
  11. No Profile Picture

Hello,

thanks for all your answers.
    I also tought about excluding the double pages with a robots.txt, but this is also not possible with our CMS.

What I do not understand yet is why the US site was punished and not the Puerto Rico site. Because PR is newer?

Best Regards

13. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Just get a diffrent B class in your IP
    Maybe C class is also ok but.. dunno ask around
    Unique IP is the answer
    changing the domain from us.company to whatever.uk
    or whatever.us should be cool.
    Anyways i'm cold.
  15. No Profile Picture

Hello,

I now know that the PR site is online sine March or April, and US much longer.

Is it possible that these double pages have this negative effect now (and not earlier)?
    Or could there also be another reason of this punishment (technically both pages are equal; no spam-methods were/are used)?

P.S.: Domain name change is not possible
    Last edited by hmueller; Nov 24th, 2004 at 06:22 AM. Reason: added a sentence
  17. No Profile Picture

Arrow

Hello,

if we wolud set up an new domain name for one of the site, how should the redirection be done?
    --> user should be redirected to the new site, when he clicks the old domain name. But how to deal with the search engines??

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo