1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

WAS on 1st pg. for certain search terms NOW I'm GONE!

I worked at getting my website to the first page of google for a certain search term for 3 months. It was listed around #7 which I was perfectly happy with, but I ADDED a new image on my home page the other day and a new phrase and also an article I wrote and linked from the home page to the article page and VIOLA the site now dissappeared from the rankings for that search term altogether. I'm SO upset. Why would this happen?
    Maryann
  3. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by k9_dog
    I worked at getting my website to the first page of google for a certain search term for 3 months. It was listed around #7 which I was perfectly happy with, but I ADDED a new image on my home page the other day and a new phrase and also an article I wrote and linked from the home page to the article page and VIOLA the site now dissappeared from the rankings for that search term altogether. I'm SO upset. Why would this happen?
    Maryann
    So you believe -- had you not ADDED a new image on your home page, a new phrase and an article you would still be #7?

It doesn't work that way... had you did nothing you would have likely suffered the same fate...

get more links using the term you wish to rank for.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Like fathom said ... your fate would be the same even if you have not done these changes
    I think last week Google has rolled out a new algorithm or at least there was a major SERP update, so just wait until things settle down
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Since starting around July 4th I have seen a lot of changes in the SERPS on my site. It has been a roller coaster but things look like they may be steadying down for me, I don't have exactly what I wanted but am happy. Give it a little time here and don't try to do anything while this update is going on. I have had pages disappear and reappear before. I started tweaking my site once during a major update and really messed things up.
  9. No Profile Picture

I'm maintaining my site myself. I'm not THAT versed in a lot of this stuff. My pages were fine around the 4th. It's only around this week did it all disappear.

I can see "googlebot" searching through my robots.txt file. Dumb question, Is the .txt file an actual FILE or an actual .txt file or just CODE on my pages? Isn't it just where i put my <meta name> ?
    Maryann
  11. Moderator
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

The robots.txt file is an actual txt(text) file with instruction to google and other bots to not index certain parts of a site. It is uploaded to your root.
    -DONíT BUY Keyword Elite V2 till you read this review- Please Digg!
    -SeoChat SEO FAQ - Read the FAQ. It may answer your question.
    -Ultimate Guide to Link Building - What you always wanted to know!
  13. No Profile Picture

re:

Originally Posted by k9_dog
    Maryann
    I worked on my keyword term for 4 years and finally made number one slot then after the google update my site now shows on the second page sob sob and a site that was actually beating me didnt have a title or description hardly any content and had a lower page rank than mine??? cant understand it.
    Cheers
    mrix
  15. from the horses mouth
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by mrix
    a site that was actually beating me didnt have a title or description hardly any content and had a lower page rank than mine??? cant understand it.
    Thats because there are hundreds of factors that affect your SERPs not just 4 ;)

Comments on this post

• pteam agrees : right on. Sorry out of green for you.