Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

#1 SEO company any good?

Hi, I hope you can help.

I know a little bit about SEO. Basically you need lots of links and mentioning keywords in important places throughout your site.

I have seen a company who are independently voted the UKs #1 SEO company (don't know if I can mention their name), but when I look at their client testimonies one is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and when I checked to see the kind of links they were getting they all looked blatently bought. Other sites from their testimonies are the same. Is this normal? Does that not get you penalised?

I am happy to go with them if it is normal among SEO companies and is no risk. They seem to have got this company good positions.

I look forward to your replies. Here is a list of some of their links - is this normal/good? :

XXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxxx
    Post edited so as not to be another 'WhiteHatSEOMtg'/'seogod'
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Oh, and great forum by the way!
    Last edited by ProSolutions; Oct 14th, 2010 at 05:09 PM.
  3. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by ProSolutions
    Is this normal? Does that not get you penalised?
    Both questions are rather vague.

What's normal in SEO is that Google suggests "make a great website" and you'll be top in results.

Anyone can be #1... but not everyone can be #1... and Google only wants the "ANYONE" not the "EVERYONE"

Anyone can be a Wikipedia... not everyone will be.

Anyone can be a YouTube... not everyone will be.

SEOs cannot possibly make you into a Wikipedia without the budget to hire 10s of 1,000s if experts... and SEO customers don't normally shell out millions in remuneration...

So the normal way of SEOs is to try and build a competitive edge that is much more manageable and more cost effective and admittedly with some additional risk... but risk is also manageable as well.

Can it get penalized? Sure thing.

Will it... generally NO! Not unless you (someone) reports it to Google and Google takes notice of that report.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by fathom
    Both questions are rather vague.

What's normal in SEO is that Google suggests "make a great website" and you'll be top in results.

Anyone can be #1... but not everyone can be #1... and Google only wants the "ANYONE" not the "EVERYONE"

Anyone can be a Wikipedia... not everyone will be.

Anyone can be a YouTube... not everyone will be.

SEOs cannot possibly make you into a Wikipedia without the budget to hire 10s of 1,000s if experts... and SEO customers don't normally shell out millions in remuneration...

So the normal way of SEOs is to try and build a competitive edge that is much more manageable and more cost effective and admittedly with some additional risk... but risk is also manageable as well.

Can it get penalized? Sure thing.

Will it... generally NO! Not unless you (someone) reports it to Google and Google takes notice of that report.
    Thankyou Fathom

How often do you think websites get reported to google and google takes notice? This is rather obvious bought links, would it not be likely to be penalised?
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hello ProSolutions,

How do you know they are paid links? Do you have proof? Maybe the guy has lots of friends.

If Google did determine the links are paid, I would assume the links would just get devalued.

If you could get penalized for having paid links, then should I buy links to all of my competitors?

Imagine that you created Google, how are you going to determine a paid link? I canít see any way to tell, especially if you have diversity in your links.
  9. rod@missionop.com

Thankyou Fathom

How often do you think websites get reported to google and google takes notice? This is rather obvious bought links, would it not be likely to be penalised?
    The part that isn't obvious is "did it do anything"?

Just because someone invented and/or invested in a link scheme... no one reports a link scheme they can't find or rather that didn't help push the customer of the SEO to top results.

No one (generally) goes out of there way to find link schemes (not even Google)... most often (not always but most often) they get reported because someone was #1 and now they are not and they investigate the reason why they aren't and they have an invested interest in getting that position back.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by fathom
    The part that isn't obvious is "did it do anything"?

Just because someone invented and/or invested in a link scheme... no one reports a link scheme they can't find or rather that didn't help push the customer of the SEO to top results.

No one (generally) goes out of there way to find link schemes (not even Google)... most often (not always but most often) they get reported because someone was #1 and now they are not and they investigate the reason why they aren't and they have an invested interest in getting that position back.
    Ok that makes sense.

@ seogod
    Have you looked at them?!?!?!? I think they have been bought!

Going by what I think I know now, I would not not buy links for your competitors because it might help them and probably won't hurt them.
  13. Digital Marketing

There is SEO without risk. Build a great web site, and promote it within Google's guidelines.
    Last edited by KernelPanic; Sep 16th, 2010 at 12:10 PM.
  15. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Ok that makes sense.

@ seogod

Going by what I think I know now, I would not not buy links for your competitors because it might help them and probably won't hurt them.
    Yes, i looked at some of the links.

Go report them to google. I bet nothing happens.
  17. rod@missionop.com

Ok that makes sense.

@ seogod

Everyone is smart enough to say... "buying links are harmful... so if you rank #100 and you want to rank #1 buy links for everyone in position #1 to #99; report them and then you'll be the new #1"

Those same smart people aren't stupid enough to ever try it though... all they want is for the dumb people to take their advice and try it and give them free links and because the links are freely given (they aren't paid links anymore)... there's the difference!
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

@ seogod
    I don't want to be petty like that, especially if I'm going to do the same. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones and all that.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    There is SEO without risk. Build a great web site, and promote it within Google's guidelines.
    Are you serious or poking fun at google?

Do you ever buy links for your website or your client websites?
  23. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Actually, even this would involve a measure of risk - what if you spend all your time on your website, and it doesn't rank?

Would that not be a risk of your precious time?

EVERYTHING online involves some form of risk. Some things may be less risky than others, but there is always some risk involved.

Comments on this post

• fathom agrees : Ya obviously the more money you have to throw at something the less risky risk seems to be!
  25. rod@missionop.com

Are you implying its an SEO's job to build a GREAT website for the customer freely or they should only work with websites that are GREAT already or only help website owners that have GREAT BIG MASSIVE BUDGETS?

I seem to recall there are only 1,000 Fortunate 1000 companies... for everyone else there is Adwords! Correct? Isn't that how it really works? e.g. with no risk SEO!

My point... your targeted customer isn't asking how to invest there $100,000 budget in risk free "within Google's guidelines" here... are they?

So your CAVEAT to this thread is "you'd better be able to pay for the high costs of risk free, if you don't have a GREAT WEBSITE that's already viral in nature.
  27. Digital Marketing

Are you serious or poking fun at google?

Do you ever buy links for your website or your client websites?
    no, aside from Business.com
  29. 魔鬼是我的背部
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

i know only one self proclaimed number 1 seo company in UK. r u taking about d i s....... t i......... l l e d ? I can bet their reputation management software won't be able to track this conversation. All the so called no.1 SEOs in the world are too busy on twitter to do any SEO for anyone. However their not so famous school drop out account managers are there to handle your SEO. That's why never hire a 'No.1 SEO Company'.

Regarding risk there is no such thing as risk free seo. Regarding paid links, there is no such thing as free links. Even when you hire a seo, you are paying for the links.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: