Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Guy
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Itís Official: Google Now Counts Site Speed As A Ranking Factor

I'll also post the full article in the Google News section.

Cheers to all that knew this was coming and have been speeding up site speed in the meantime :cheers:

Google Counts Site Speed as Ranking Factor
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Lightbulb uh oh

Very interesting, I better benchmark my site now. Who knows of a good site to do this?
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Guy

Originally Posted by fireworks_wi
    Very interesting, I better benchmark my site now. Who knows of a good site to do this?
    There's a bunch of tools out there for that. Here's Google's: http://code.google.com/speed/page-speed/download.html <-- You need firebug with FF for this one btw

And you can also check the message boards here: http://code.google.com/speed/page-speed/

Comments on this post

• Jesus Nofollow agrees
    Last edited by davidthemavin; Apr 9th, 2010 at 07:57 PM.
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Guy

Looks like since it's already been implemented fully for US searches fathom could have very well been 100% wrong here:

Originally Posted by fathom January 28th, 2010, 06:03 PM
    It is absolutely 100% not a ranking factor.

Google has suggested it would like to use it as a ranking factor but admits it won't be an overly important factor.

Indirectly user behavioral analysis e.g. bounce rate which usually increases with slow loads is much more likely.
    And it looks like I was right, and everyone else in this thread was wrong, it's 2010 and it's official ;-)

http://forums.seochat.com/google-opt...ar-302408.html
    Last edited by davidthemavin; Apr 9th, 2010 at 08:09 PM.
  9. No Profile Picture
    SEO Guy

Large factor? You decide: http://googlewebmastercentral.blogsp...h-ranking.html

Have a great weekend!
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The Webmaster load-time graph has been there a while.

I had made the comment here a while back that if Google puts tools and metrics in Webmaster, then they think it's important.

Nice to see they officially acknowledged the ranking factor.

Sounds like it is a measurement to down-rank the very worst offenders. I'd want to avoid being in the bottom 20% for good measure (as well as for visitor experience).

Ed
  13. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

This is as pointless as the old adage... "what's better on gas mileage... windows up and AC on or windows down and AC off?"

In test, after test, after test the results conflict... because it's too close to call.

I'm sure at ranked position #1000 you can demonstrate how "speed" impacts on results and moves you up to #990... but it won't change a thing in the top 10 unless the query is something totally worthless for conversions like kmjwdrlkrkjop3jkhuhgugh. (show results for a single money term)

When you start making millions on speed let me know... but it ain't worth a buffalo nickle for anything worth a dime.

Comments on this post

• devil's_brother agrees : Speed is 100500th factor. Search engines are about relevance. Speed is good, but it is not races after all.
    • prasunsen agrees
  15. Contributing User

Having good loading speed is a usability concern at first place. With or without effect on SEO you should take care to have the site loading in reasonable time as no one is going to wait a minute to see it.

But should you unload useful content, picture or script on the site because of speed? Hell, no.
  17. Contributing User

Originally Posted by fathom
    This is as pointless as the old adage... "what's better on gas mileage... windows up and AC on or windows down and AC off?"

In test, after test, after test the results conflict... because it's too close to call.

I'm sure at ranked position #1000 you can demonstrate how "speed" impacts on results and moves you up to #990... but it won't change a thing in the top 10 unless the query is something totally worthless for conversions like kmjwdrlkrkjop3jkhuhgugh. (show results for a single money term)

When you start making millions on speed let me know... but it ain't worth a buffalo nickle for anything worth a dime.
    Well everything is good to optimize for. It's not the single thing that is going to get you in the TOP serps, it's all the collective things you do for your site. So I don't see a problem with site speed being on the SEO checklist.
  19. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Originally Posted by coreyman
    ... I don't see a problem with site speed being on the SEO checklist.
    I basically agree with one refinement... Site load speed should be on the designer's checklist, webmaster checklist, SEO checklist... The load speed of a site and any flash or massive pages should be on somebody's checklist. This... primarily because a slow site/page will encourage a high bounce rate.
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  21. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Originally Posted by http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2010/04/using-site-speed-in-web-search-ranking.html
    While site speed is a new signal, it doesn't carry as much weight as the relevance of a page. Currently, fewer than 1% of search queries are affected by the site speed signal in our implementation and the signal for site speed only applies for visitors searching in English on Google.com at this point. We launched this change a few weeks back after rigorous testing. If you haven't seen much change to your site rankings, then this site speed change possibly did not impact your site.
    Fewer than 1% of queries are affected..... So does that mean that #9 & #10 have switched places, or that page 4 just got wiped clean...... And again, only in 1% of searches.....

I would say "not a large factor" - and rather negligible. If your site doesn't turn people away by taking too long, you have nothing to worry about.

Comments on this post

• chr1ssy agrees : jsteele hit it. OP-it's a factor... as common sense is... if site is slow... visitors may leave more.
  23. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Very interesting. I'll have to read it fully at another time.

While we are on the topic, what are some of you doing to increase page speed? Figured I'd open the floor...
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." Chinese Proverb
  25. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

did the testing via the G tool, and our client's sites all are fine....and as stated here by the folks who know -- it matters not a whit.

imho, it's like a vaidated code site...matters not to G....so the results are immaterial...

;)

Jim
    Jim Rudnick
    MCSD
    Canadian SEO

Twitter: @JVRudnick

read. learn. hypothesize. test. analyze...then rank!

27. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

How do you check the speed and what is a good speed rate?
  29. No Profile Picture
    SEO Guy

Originally Posted by fathom

Study after study show that the majority of the top pages in the serps have good load time. Take that, added with the new announcement that it is a factor however you want.
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page: