1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

[ask]are wordtracker free keyword effective?

dear all master, i want to ask you a question, are wordtracker free keyword effective?. because i get first page google with keyword 'tips for staying cool'.[blogspot blog]. this is the data of free wordtracker keyword page :
    but, the visitor to the site still 0.

(sorry for my bad english)
  3. Philip@SearchBenefit.com
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

This is interesting and very strange. The figure is definitely inaccurate. I just checked Wordtracker (I am a subscriber) and it does report the search volume that you mention.

"Tips for staying cool" is searched for on Google roughly 1000 times a month. You can check for yourself here: https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal -- which I suggest should be your primary keyword research tool. 1000/mo is a ballpark figure, not exact. But if your site is not close to the very top of the search, you'll get only a few clickthorughs from such a volume.

I have never seen Wordtracker give such a high volume figure for any keyword. Wordtracker gives search volumes for a whole year now, but their data comes only from the metracrawlers (chiefly Dogpile and Metacrawler), so their logged search volumes are usually much lower than Google's.

Sometimes Google gives hugely excessive search volumes for certain keywords. I believe this is due to click fraud. On the other hand, Wordtracker prides itself on being able to filter out click fraud data. Yes in this case it seems the search volume is artificially inflated (unless it's a simple bug). In general, I have usually found Wordtracker's data to be plausible.

Do you have any other examples like this from Wortracker? I think I might drop a line to their support about this: I'll let you know what they think.

P.S.
    Plus, the Google KW Tool result of 1,000/mo is global, whereas the Wordtracker figure is for the US only. When I change the search setting in Wortracker from the "US" to the "UK", I get: "There are no results for your search please try another keyword" -- much closer to home.
    Last edited by PhilipSEO; Dec 5th, 2009 at 02:36 PM. Reason: added a p.s.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

As far as I know Google Adwords Keyword suggest does the same.

I won't give the same cases, and can't find a good example quickly but I'll explain the concept.

Take a query like "star dance" or "feel america". The first one gets many variations like "dancing with the stars" or "dancing star". The second many variations like ""how america feels about..." "I feel about america". All these queries add to search volume with a little stemming and replacing. Many a times Google will suggest the same volume for "keyword1 keyword2" and "keyword2 keyword 1".

But not that many people search for "star dance" or "feel america". And if they search for it, there is high competition from better structured SEO, or the stuff people really were searching for. "stars dance" -> "dancing with the stars". Or an opinion piece about what Obame feels America should do about terrorism in the New York Times is your direct competition.

Use these tools as suggestions not as prescriptive fact and don't stop thinking about the searching user and relevancy of your site/pages.
    Last edited by Jesus Nofollow; Dec 5th, 2009 at 03:14 PM.

Following these recommendations should increase the likelihood that your site will show up consistently in the search results.
  7. Philip@SearchBenefit.com
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by Jesus Nofollow
    As far as I know Google Adwords Keyword suggest does the same.
    Yep, that's very true. I don't know if stemming comes into this, but I have long suspected that Google's top-search-volume words are all "broad" matches whereas the more granular ones are phrase or exact matches. But my point was that Wortracker prides itself on not doing that -- just giving you the logged data stats. Yes in this case it seems that something else is happening. A part of the reason I have fount Wortracker useful is precisely a correction to this Google behavior. I find Google's KW data tool indispensable, but I think its data more accurate for the more granular search phrases.

Here's one search phrase I have found puzzling in the Google tool (I came across it when doing AdWords work for a client of mine that is a big email services company)

business smtp
    US search volume: Not enough data
    Global search volume: 5,400/mo
    Search volume trends: No data
    (These stas haven't changed for over half a year)

I had hopes for that keyword and entered it into AdWords for my client. It's very relevant to a specific service they offer, so the quality score is high, the price bidding low.. and there have been 50 impressions in half a year! This is more or less consistent with Wortracket's data but very far from Google's.
    Last edited by PhilipSEO; Dec 5th, 2009 at 04:01 PM.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Best way is to jump into the PPC and do a test for couple of days to see whether keywords actually bring leads/sales or not. If any particular keyword brings only clicks then it is of no use.