1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

How do you organize your Adwords Campaigns?

I am looking at restructuring my Adwords campaigns. This involves 1500 or so keywords not counting hundreds of negatives.

Given only two levels of hierarchy I am not sure how to organize my campaigns for the easiest possible management.

So what do other people do?
    Do you break out your top volume keywords into their own group?
    Do you use the keyword insert option to reword ads or do you try to write (and manage) lots of individual ads?
    Roughly speaking how many keywords do you typically end up with in a single group?
    Do you find you use more campaign level negatives, or adgroup level?

How to you name your campaigns and ad groups to keep them understandable (and easy to filter) for management?

Yes I know every business will be different and I have some idea what direction I am going in but I figured I would see what others have to say.
  3. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I organize by website and then by keyword.

I have lots of groups with one to three very closely related keywords.

I also have a few groups that shotgun for an enormous number of keywords. When good ones are identified they get their own group. Bummers are deleted.

Do you use the keyword insert option to reword ads or do you try to write (and manage) lots of individual ads?
    I use this for the shotgun groups.

I usually write six to ten ads when I set up an ad group. Then I let them run for a while. When I return I keep ad groups with best performance and delete the rest.

Roughly speaking how many keywords do you typically end up with in a single group?
    One to three - and I use exact match or phrase match.

Yes and Yes. I am all about negative keywords. They save you from wasting your money by attracting bad clicks. They help improve your quality score. Adding negative keywords increases your profit.

How to you name your campaigns and ad groups to keep them understandable (and easy to filter) for management?
    I use keywords or a generic term for shotgun add groups.

Comments on this post

• realityhack agrees : Thanks for sharing EGOL. I have to agree on negative keywords... I am blown away when people don't know about them.
    • PhilipSEO agrees : good advice
    • seogoat agrees
    Last edited by EGOL; Nov 28th, 2012 at 10:58 AM.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

really very good... by egol again
  7. No Profile Picture

First, I choose keywords through the use of the keyword tool in Adwords, checked the competition at the same time the global and local monthly searches, I only pick those keywords with high volume of local monthly searches. Then if the keywords didn’t work for my ads, that’s the time I use the keyword ideas

Use it if some of my chosen keywords don’t work for my campaign

around 20 keywords (I’m still in the process of experimenting, been two weeks since I started my campaign and I’m still learning)

haven’t tried modifying negative keywords yet

How do you name your campaigns and ad groups to keep them understandable (and easy to filter) for management?
    Name of my website – then using the initial of the location I target
    Example: Website - BR
  9. No Profile Picture
    ppcguy.net
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

I just drop all the keywords in a Excel sheet, duplicate the keywords into the ad group column, keep them organized with one keyword per ad group. Then BLAM, upload them to Adwords. It's quicker than organizing the keywords and having more than one per ad group. Make sure you have split tests going on. Run them to get some data, and cut what doesn't work...

Yes.

Yes this can also be used to stretch the headline

usually 1, it depends how organized or lazy I feel at the time. Though having more than one usually ends up with lower click through rates in my experience...

I use negative keyword lists at campaign level usually. Depends what you need.
    Last edited by seogoat; Feb 3rd, 2013 at 11:00 AM.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

SEO Goat,
    You run 1 keyword per adgrpoup? That would leave me with thousands of ad groups. How do you navigate that mess? How do you keep track of negative keywords so you don't compete with your own terms?
  13. No Profile Picture
    ppcguy.net
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Yes by using 1 per ad group you can more accurately test each keyword to the ad. If I block a term with a negative and the ad group is still present that doesn't really matter, it will just won't show.

I even sometimes go as far as creating a new ad group for each keyword match type variation.

[golf]
    "golf"
    golf

Mind you I have also created a great mess like this. It's kind of a balance between keeping the targeting granular but also still manageable. So with tiny accounts with few keywords there would be no problem with having an ad group for each match type but the larger it gets the more you may want to have larger groups of keywords but I would personally avoid going too large.

Your best thing is to test what we said and see what you prefer or what works best for you in a particular account.

You can navigate it all quite quick with an excel sheet and adwords editor. Mind you the template is pain to make, if you send me a PM I can send you the template to build it all up quickly with excel. Let me know?
    Last edited by seogoat; Feb 4th, 2013 at 03:13 PM.
  15. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Very Helpfull.. tanks