1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

UK and US spelling - Question

Hi guys,

I was doing some Keyword research for the UK (settings on United Kingdom - English) and I've noticed than
    American spelling came out more often for some words than the British one - which is quite strange.

For example, I had more Search Volume for keywords containing the word "Odor" (US spelling) than "Odour" (UK spelling).

I don't really care about the spelling as I'm not doing this for a PPC campaign, I'm just curious about why is there more search volume with the US spelling in the UK? Did the keyword planner mix-up both countries?

Thanks!
    Last edited by pachalegroschat; May 20th, 2016 at 08:26 AM.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Good question, and interesting observation. Out of curiosity, are you US or UK based? I'm just wondering if the searcher's physical location has anything to do with the data being returned.

I've had mixed experiences using the location settings and personally only use what i see there as guidelines and not hard-data.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm based in the UK that's why it's even stranger!

I know it's not hard-data but it still gives us a global idea of the trends and the client doesn't really like to see US spelling when it's supposed to be a UK keyword research which complicates things haha
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by pachalegroschat
    I'm based in the UK that's why it's even stranger!

I know it's not hard-data but it still gives us a global idea of the trends and the client doesn't really like to see US spelling when it's supposed to be a UK keyword research which complicates things haha
    Strange indeed, and i definitely understand why your clients don't want to see it!

I build a lot of sites in the auto glass industry and my US customers want to have sites optimized for "Windshield" related terms as opposed to "Windscreen"

If you even do find out more on this i'd love to hear
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Sure and if you find something first, let me know as well
  11. Founder, SEOChat.com :)
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

I don't see this. If I type in odor and odour, for the US I see 12,100 and 1,000, respectively. When I switch to the UK, I see 1,300 and 1,900 (so, "odour" British spelling getting more volume in the UK)
  13. SeoRaptor
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Don't know about the UK but in France we can see a rise in queries for terms spelled incorrectly. People just can't write without errors anymore.
    If you add to this that most autocorrects are configured by default to American English (at least in France and Italy), the rise of American programs, etc... then you might find one of the causes for searches for American terms in UK queries
    Owner of Bennetonable - "My opinions are my own - Feel free to disagree & think above the fold."
    Need a quick analysis > Free SEO grader Beta
  15. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Because America!
  17. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Ahhh, the sweet odor of freedom!
    Attached Images
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

In Canada people grow up using both forms of many words. Google seems to reflect this, my best guess here anyway, is it's accurately reporting what terms are used to perform searches and matching them with terms used in creating content. For some word pairs it's showing different numbers of search results, but also sometimes recognizes an equivalence. Good example: center and centre. On google.ca we get different total numbers of search results for the two terms, but the same local businesses listed. A medical facility that calls itself a medical centre will come up exactly the same on a search for either centre or center. Not sure this helps answer the question exactly but it's Google, as always, trying to return what it thinks you're looking for and probably taking a number of things into consideration.