Thread: Trademarks ?

    #1
  1. ;-)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,325
    Rep Power
    18

    Trademarks ?


    ok never seen this b4 but today i got a email from google saying:

    Thank you for advertising with Google AdWords. After reviewing your account, I have found that one or more of your ads or keywords does not meet our guidelines. The results are outlined in the report below.

    Action taken: Disapproved

    Issue(s): Keyword trademark term

    ~~~~~~~~~

    SUGGESTIONS:

    -> Ad Text: Please remove the following trademark term from your

    ad: "A BRAND".

    -> Keywords: We have disapproved the trademark term "A BRAND" and/or

    variations of this keyword in your Google AdWords campaign.




    Anyone know what to do regarding this.... We sell that brand so why cant we advertise that we sell that brand ?
    any ideas or experiences. ?

    I typed in that brand today and loads of other companies are listed for the "Brand " k/w...

    please help....
  2. #2
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    New York, USA
    Posts
    2,636
    Rep Power
    18
    You are not allowed to use the "brand" in the ad copy at Google. They do not allow this in their AdWords program. You can however bid on a brand, but you can not include it in your ad copy.

    Lawsuits and stuff.
  4. #3
  5. ;-)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,325
    Rep Power
    18
    Originally Posted by rustybrick
    You are not allowed to use the "brand" in the ad copy at Google. They do not allow this in their AdWords program. You can however bid on a brand, but you can not include it in your ad copy.

    Lawsuits and stuff.
    thats fair enough but its says in the TOS that we can still bid on the keywords... however these have been disabled ?

    any ideas ?

    5 pages of ads on the one k/w and google has removed them all.... many didn't mention the brand in the text... just bidded on k/w
  6. #4
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    New York, USA
    Posts
    2,636
    Rep Power
    18
    Google might not allow bidding on specific brands but its not against their TOS. Try bidding on Google, it won't allow it. But they don't allow the brand in the copy based on the TOS, they do allow bidding on them. Some they don't but that is not a default.
  8. #5
  9. ;-)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,325
    Rep Power
    18
    Originally Posted by rustybrick
    Google might not allow bidding on specific brands but its not against their TOS. Try bidding on Google, it won't allow it. But they don't allow the brand in the copy based on the TOS, they do allow bidding on them. Some they don't but that is not a default.
    The Thing is the company don't own the trademark as the company is called after a town ... i.e. london but somehow google have stopped the bidding on that keyword "london" I understand the bit about the trademark in the content but blocking the bidding, why ?

    I am happy with it at present cos we are no6 for that k/w and when the ads came off our traffic doubled for that k/w it was amazing to watch...

    Any thoughts ?
  10. #6
  11. No Profile Picture
    Posts: 20, 574 (I wish!)
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    764
    Rep Power
    15
    Originally Posted by gabs
    The Thing is the company don't own the trademark as the company is called after a town ... i.e. london but somehow google have stopped the bidding on that keyword "london" I understand the bit about the trademark in the content but blocking the bidding, why ?

    I am happy with it at present cos we are no6 for that k/w and when the ads came off our traffic doubled for that k/w it was amazing to watch...

    Any thoughts ?
    Googles loss not yours..


    Dan

    p.s. its funny about the Lawsuits and stuff, they like personally violating companies IP but wont let their advertisers do it..

Similar Threads

  1. Google will no long block advertising of trademarks.
    By Howard Metzenberg in forum Search Engine Optimization
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Apr 11th, 2004, 07:05 PM
  2. Google Sued Over Search Advertising Practices
    By Vrian SInth in forum Search Engine Optimization
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Feb 7th, 2004, 06:24 AM
  3. Google asks U.S. court for ruling on trademarks
    By Vrian SInth in forum Search Engine Optimization
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Dec 9th, 2003, 05:31 PM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo