1. Permanently Banned
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Should I only have 1 Ad?

I imagine most of us don't have an infinite marketing budget and need to set daily budgets for our campaigns. Every day my budget is met (or often exceed, funny that Google never comes in under budget eh!), so with that in mind, the obvious strategy is to separate my products into their own AdGroups; so Gloves have their own AdGroup, Shoes have their own AdGroup, etc etc.

For each AdGroup I run a bunch of ads and keywords for a couple of months. At the end of that period I see which Ad has the lowest CPA, delete all the rest. Then look at which keyword has the lowest Avg. CPC and pause the rest. If I'm not hitting my daily budget then I can add more of the best performing keywords until I am hitting the budget.

That way, as far as I can see, I'm getting the biggest bang for my buck; I'm displaying the ad that converts the best, and using the keyword that costs me the least amount of money, so I get more clicks for my outlay.

Is that a sane/sensible strategy? Or is there a massive pitfall that I'm not seeing?

Thanks,

BBB
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

That's the strategy that I would be using, however I would just make sure that each ad has actually had enough traffic to make sure the data is solid.
    Always happy to help in private message. | Learn about my latest project Can You Get Automated Pages To Rank In Google?
    Useful Links: Useful SEO Tools | GTmetrix | FileOptimizer | Cloudflare
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

To me that approach is a bit too blunt.

What if one of your campaigns was really successful in a particular region or with mobile users or with those who use a Safari browser.

Better to refine the ad than bin it. But to know that you need to dig around in your Analytics and you need to understand statistical significance - as Tom put it "make sure you have enough traffic to make sure the data is solid".
  7. Professional SEO

The daily budget is really a 'monthly' budget. If its $100 a day, it will come in right at $3100 for a month with 31 days. So some days, it has to play catch up. What may surprise you, is if you pause your ads a week and then turn them back on, it will then make up for the week lost and still come in at $3100.

But I hope you are focusing on other things than ads. I like to have a couple that are performing well, and one particularly optimized for mobile - which has really gained in market share.

I don't pause any keywords that are performing well. Their CTR will go up and down over time.

But Negative Keywords are very important and can really take up a huge amount of your ad budget, with your ads showing for totally irrelevant keywords.
  9. Permanently Banned

Thanks for your feedback. I've read your comments and I've been thinking about this and the obvious flaw in my plan is an Ad might only perform the best because of a certain keyword or keywords, so if I only run the best CTR or CPA Ad and then pause all but the best performing keywords, then it doesn't mean I'll continue to get the same CTR or CPA that it used to get.

So what about this; lets say I have a bunch of Ads to test for "Mens Gloves"; for each Ad I was want to run, I create a separate Ad Group, and each Ad Group has the same keywords and negative keywords. Same principle as before; I run them all for a couple of months, see which Ad Group performs the best and go for that one, and pause / delete the rest. Then slowly whittle down the keywords so that my budget is still being met and my CTR / CPA doesn't drop.

Obviously it's a lot more admin, but in theory, is that a better plan?
  11. Permanently Banned

Or.... vice-versa; I create a separate Ad Group for each Keyword, but run all of my Ads in that Ad Group
  13. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

If it's makin you money stick with it, if not revaluate.
  15. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    If it's makin you money stick with it, if not revaluate.
    But what if it could make you more money?

The approach is still very wasteful and you're going to miss endless opportunities. Imagine this:

You have keyword A and ad A, Keyword B and ad B. You run them both for a couple of months and conclude neither are profitable so in your current system you would bin them.

But what if Keyword A and ad A were highly profitable between 9am and 1pm but massive loss makers during other hours of the day. What if Keyword B and ad B were real money makers with West Coast internet users but lost boatloads of cash elsewhere?

The cost is in the analysis though. I recently turned a clients ads from loss making to profit making by limiting the ads to 8am - 4pm weekdays. But that wasn't a lucky guess, it was heavy analysis of a years worth of data.
  17. Professional SEO

Originally Posted by big-bad-burrow
    Or.... vice-versa; I create a separate Ad Group for each Keyword, but run all of my Ads in that Ad Group
    You mean that you are separating keywords in Ad Groups, that belong to the same campaign?

I can tell you this. Once Google talked me into combining two ad groups - movers and moving. They said it was redundant and that the algo associated
    both keywords as identical. The result was that my CTR totally crashed and I had to spend a couple of days mopping up the mess.
    A later rep confirmed that it was a mistake to have done that..
    Inside of an ad group, chosen keywords and ad content, really need to be keyword specific.
  19. Professional SEO

I am not sure about your plan to keep the best performing campaign and delete the others. I find that ad group results change, that for a few weeks, one might perform the best, then another group overtakes it later on..

Of course, your CTR is very dependent on bidding and location of your ads.
  21. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

The OP was banned for some reason, no need to ask em any questions.
    locking this thread.
  23. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    The OP was banned for some reason, no need to ask em any questions.
    locking this thread.
    They're not actually banned, that's just a user title. If you look at their profile in the control panel you can see they're in the user group "Full Access"

Thread unlocked.
  25. Professional SEO

Originally Posted by ThomasHarvey
    They're not actually banned, that's just a user title. If you look at their profile in the control panel you can see they're in the user group "Full Access"

Thread unlocked.
    Haha, it was confusing to me too because I saw that on his avatar while he continued to make posts..
  27. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

LOL I am more interested in why he would put Permanently Banned than the adword question. I was trying to understand how a banned user was posting.
    Quite funny though
    Last edited by Chedders; Sep 15th, 2016 at 05:15 PM.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog
  29. Professional SEO

Originally Posted by Chedders
    LOL I am more interested in why he would put Permanently Banned than the adword question.
    Quite funny though
    Haha, funny guy..

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo