Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Quality Score Help

I am working with a company that has been trying to run their own campaigns for car accidents in Florida. Their campaign was doing really poorly and all keywords were getting a quality score of 1-3.

I suspended all their KW and Campaigns running and started a new one.

I have used key words in the ads (title, body and display URL) and optimized a new landing page with keywords in URL, Title, Meta, H1 and in the body.

Upon entering the kw, I only got a QS of 5.. which I thought was low. After a day of running, now all of my KW are 2-3. If anything I thought they would go up - not down.

For example.. the keyword: auto accident

Ad text:
    Florida Auto Accident
    Looking for a Florida Auto Accident
    Attorney, Call Today. Don't Wait.
    URL/Auto-Accident

On the landing page I have "auto accident" with about a 5% Keyword Density.

I have no idea why I am only getting a SQ of 2 with Auto Accident! It should at least be 5-10.

I have an overall CTR of 6.67%, so I am not sure if I just need to give it more time to increase the scores, though I am not sure how that will happen with the ads not showing for that keyword.

It is very confusing. I am looking for any suggestions you might have to help me get this up to a 6-7. This is a very important client for me and I want to do a good job.

I am guessing part fo the problem is the campaign history is awful with what they have been doing. Would I be better off setting up a brand new account?

Thanks,
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

As far as I can tell the part of the Quality Score algorithm that factors in CTR does so on some kind of relative scale.
    Obviously I have no inside information and do not know for sure but I have ads with CTRs that are good for my industry/terms but horrible for others and they get high QSs. If the average CTR for a first place ad on your terms is say 15% and you are getting 7% that would be a low ad quality while a 7% CTR on a term where first place had an average of 3% CTR would be high quality.

What match type are you using?

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees : CTR is probably it
    • seogoat agrees : believe it or not using the keyword too often can decrease CTR. See link at end of thread. Pretty cool stuff there.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by realityhack
    As far as I can tell the part of the Quality Score algorithm that factors in CTR does so on some kind of relative scale.
    Obviously I have no inside information and do not know for sure but I have ads with CTRs that are good for my industry/terms but horrible for others and they get high QSs. If the average CTR for a first place ad on your terms is say 15% and you are getting 7% that would be a low ad quality while a 7% CTR on a term where first place had an average of 3% CTR would be high quality.

What match type are you using?
    I did all three to start it off

auto accident
    "auto accident"
    [auto accident]

it is geo-targeted to North Florida.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Also, the landing page URL is

URL/CM/LandingPages/auto-accident-lawyer.asp

Would that be part of the problem?

I would prefer it to be URL/Auto-Accident-Lawyer but their CMS doesn't alow that.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by netviper
    Also, the landing page URL is

URL/CM/LandingPages/auto-accident-lawyer.asp

Would that be part of the problem?

I would prefer it to be URL/Auto-Accident-Lawyer but their CMS doesn't alow that.
    I would expect the URL text to be a minor factor at most. The guys at Google know full well that many legitimate companies have little control over the URL and that spammers and fly by night operators can easily stuff the crap out of it. I imagine that it is therefore a minor part of the QS algorithm.

Are the match types broken out into separate campaigns? what do the stats look like for each type?
    It could be you are diluting your CTR with a ton of hits for the broad match where people are looking for news or whatever and other people bidding against you are not. So their CTR is higher and therefore you get a poor QS.
    Check out the other ads too. Do they have better ad text than you do?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I would expect the URL text to be a minor factor at most. The guys at Google know full well that many legitimate companies have little control over the URL and that spammers and fly by night operators can easily stuff the crap out of it. I imagine that it is therefore a minor part of the QS algorithm.

Are the match types broken out into separate campaigns? what do the stats look like for each type?
    It could be you are diluting your CTR with a ton of hits for the broad match where people are looking for news or whatever and other people bidding against you are not. So their CTR is higher and therefore you get a poor QS.
    Check out the other ads too. Do they have better ad text than you do?
    They are in the same campaign. This is what they look like from yesterday.

[auto accident]
    Auto Accident Lawyer

Rarely shown due to low quality score

$75.00
    0 0 0.00% $0.00 $0.00 0 2/10

auto accident
    Auto Accident Lawyer

$75.00
    0 155 0.00% $0.00 $0.00 1.3 2/10

"auto accident"
    Auto Accident Lawyer

$75.00
    0 12 0.00% $0.00 $0.00 1.6 2/1
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It is hard to tell what I am looking at without labels for the various columns of figures.
    Is that 155 displays 0 clicks? Which number is the CTR?

This is just a guess but your issue may well be more with CTR (hence your ad wording or targeting) rather than with anything on you landing page.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It is hard to tell what I am looking at without labels for the various columns of figures.
    Is that 155 displays 0 clicks? Which number is the CTR?

This is just a guess but your issue may well be more with CTR (hence your ad wording or targeting) rather than with anything on you landing page.
    I understand they clicks are low. How are you supposed to get a higher CTR if google determines your ads have a low quality score right away and never show the ads?

Google Reviewed my account, and found no issue with the URL or Landing page, so it has to be clicks.

I am going to try several landing pages and only 6 or so KW in each. Make sense?
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

> I am going to try several landing pages and only 6 or so KW in each. Make sense?

Work on your ads and keyword relevancy. To me, your keywords are not relevant enough. Don't bid on "auto accident" or similar keywords, bid on "auto accident lawyer".
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I understand they clicks are low. How are you supposed to get a higher CTR if google determines your ads have a low quality score right away and never show the ads?
    There are 3 ways to get a higher CTR on an ad:
    1. Show the ad in a better position (#1 is not always the best but generally higher is better)
    2. Make the ad more compelling. A better written ad will get more clicks. Running multiple ads on each group can help you optimize this factor (though not if you get 0 clicks).
    3. Don't show your ad to people who are not going to click on it. This means both more targeted keywords (as mentioned by someone above) and negative keywords. Google's keyword suggestion tool can be a great resource for finding out who is seeing your ad that shouldn't be.

In my experience google 'plays' a little with new ads. They push them up and down in the order somewhat arbitrarily to see how they do before letting them settle in based on actual CTR. They understand that an ad with 2 displays and 0 clicks is not necessarily low CTR the same as one with 2 displays and 1 click is not necessarily the best ad ever.
    Also keep in mind that 'quality score' is only one factor. You can still bid through the roof for top placement. Once you fix everything else that can help you get your CTR up and then it will start costing less.
    Finally keep in mind that your competition might be bidding though the roof and you don't know it. Heck my competition is often bidding at points where I KNOW they are loosing money. I just let them waist it.

Google Reviewed my account, and found no issue with the URL or Landing page, so it has to be clicks.
    Good. You still might get a tad out of the landing page but I wouldn't bother till you get people landing on it.

I am going to try several landing pages and only 6 or so KW in each. Make sense?
    No. Not that you should never do that but given that in the last paragraph you said that "it has to be clicks" why would you put your effort into something that will have absolutely no impact on clicks at all?
    Fix the big problem, then do the tweeking. Breaking up your landing pages is like putting a bandage on a patients scrape while they are choking to death. Sure the bandage is a good idea but fix the choking first or the other won't matter.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Unhappy

Good. You still might get a tad out of the landing page but I wouldn't bother till you get people landing on it.

No. Not that you should never do that but given that in the last paragraph you said that "it has to be clicks" why would you put your effort into something that will have absolutely no impact on clicks at all?
    Fix the big problem, then do the tweeking. Breaking up your landing pages is like putting a bandage on a patients scrape while they are choking to death. Sure the bandage is a good idea but fix the choking first or the other won't matter.
    Well the thought was to make very tightly focused keywords, landing pages and ads to boost the quality score. In my attempt to do that, it ended up just competing against the other campaign, so that didn't really work. I also tried giving specific kw they own URL ie "florida auto accident lawyer" goes to a URL with that in the name, title and body and "florida auto accident lawyer" goes to a URL with that in the name, title and body.

That made no difference.

I called Google again and they basically said because the category is attorneys, it will be very difficult to ever get quality good quality scores. I guess many lawyers just bid high and don't care about QS so the keywords themselves get a low QS in the system.

I haven't given up, but everything that was 4-5 is now 2-3.

My total CTR is 1.38%, but the top performing are 2.5% plus. Maybe I should just delete everything except the top performing? That would really bring up my CTR for the account.

Thanks for all your help.
    Last edited by netviper; Dec 1st, 2009 at 01:51 PM.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

By far, the largest portion of QS is your CTR. It is also a relative number against all other advertisers. The mean QS seems to be 6 or 7. What this means is, if you have QS of 7, your ad is average compared to your competitors (average click rate).

You must create better ads and get your click rate up. That's how you are going to get your QS up. Nothing to do with how much you bid. All to do with how your ad quality (based on click rate) compares to others, not just now but historically.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

My total CTR is 1.38%, but the top performing are 2.5% plus. Maybe I should just delete everything except the top performing? That would really bring up my CTR for the account.
    Your total account CTR should not be an issue. The per ad group is. So if you have high and low performing keywords on the same ad you might break them out. The lower performing will be even worse but the higher might end up being decent.

As you said people may just be paying through the nose for those terms and you will have trouble compeating without doing the same thing.

Did you try any negative keywords?
    Did you create a completely separate ad and ad group when you tried the more focused terms?

You might also try bidding VERY aggressively for a week or two (depending upon volume and what you can afford) to see if bumping your ad up gets you enough relative CTR to make a difference (and see what the ROI might be bidding that high). Don't do it if you can't afford to loose 100% of your test budget though.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Lucid Marketing
    By far, the largest portion of QS is your CTR. It is also a relative number against all other advertisers. The mean QS seems to be 6 or 7. What this means is, if you have QS of 7, your ad is average compared to your competitors (average click rate).
    [Citation Needed]
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

From adwords.google.com/support/aw/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=10215:

While we continue to refine our Quality Score formulas for Google and the Search Network, the core components remain more or less the same:

* The historical clickthrough rate (CTR) of the keyword and the matched ad on Google; note that CTR on the Google Network only ever impacts Quality Score on the Google Network -- not on Google

It also only makes sense. You can't create something like QS without comparing to something else. Otherwise, what would be the point?

<snip>

Comments on this post

• realityhack : You have still not provided any evidence of 6 or 7 being the mean QS (and yes I checked your PDF)
    Last edited by ClickyB; Apr 28th, 2010 at 01:10 PM. Reason: removed self-promo/link
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: