1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

offensive link units

I've been using link units for about the last week now. Pleased with the results. Just today, the first link showing up on most of my pages is "sex arcade games". My site is a games site, but there is not an ounce of even R rated content on it. This angers me because I really make it a point to keep the website family friendly. At least when I click the link the resulting Google page says: Sorry! We couldn't find any ads related to your topic. Please enter another topic below.

I emailed Google, but is there a way for me to filter this out without their intervention? All I see is the competitive site filter. What about a keyword filter?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Google emailed me back after a few days and fixed the problem. Apparently there is no way to fix something like that on your own.

Comments on this post

• agrees : good to hear you got it sorted and thanks for the update
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by screamv
    I've been using link units for about the last week now. Pleased with the results. Just today, the first link showing up on most of my pages is "sex arcade games". My site is a games site, but there is not an ounce of even R rated content on it. This angers me because I really make it a point to keep the website family friendly. At least when I click the link the resulting Google page says: Sorry! We couldn't find any ads related to your topic. Please enter another topic below.

I emailed Google, but is there a way for me to filter this out without their intervention? All I see is the competitive site filter. What about a keyword filter?
    Strange that is...i thought it was prohibited to put ads on Adult Pages...so how would an Adult ad be relevant or any use to the user if on a U rated site?

Google is rich because it has a backdoor way of letting these Adult and Pharmacy websites advertise their sites, wait about a month before realising they exist (unless they get complaints) ..Google likes them cos regardless of what it is... if someone clicks on them Google gets the money!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by dws_Dan
    so how would an Adult ad be relevant or any use to the user if on a U rated site?
    Good question Dan.

The weird thing about this instance on my site is that the offensive material was not an ad unit, it was a link unit. As far as I know, and please correct me if I'm wrong, the anchor text in the link units is decided by Google. When you click the link unit link, you are taken to a Google page with AdWords relevant to the link unit on it. You don't get paid until someone clicks on those links. As I shared, when I clicked "sex arcade games", nothing showed up. That makes sense if they claim to not allow adult advertising from third parties, yet they apparently do not bother to filter the word "sex" from their link units...

Anyway, I still find the whole situation very odd, but hard for me to complain now that they fixed it, and the link units are performing so well.

Ryan