1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

New Website, Google says landing page is poor, can't figure out why

I recently started a new website for real estate. I put in all of my keywords and campaigns as I had done before. I launch the site and adwords and Google states my landing page is poor and won't show my ads. The landing page/homepage does have flash so I changed to to an internal page with more links and text that is meta tagged as well with no results. I've emailed support several times, they have responded but won't answer my question as to why this is happening. Google keeps attaching their link explaining why a site would receive a poor ranking on the landing page. I've read it several times and none of the reasons they state apply to my website. If appropriate here, I can post a link to the site/landing page and maybe someone can figure this out for me. The site is easy to navigate, has no pop-ups, does not ask for personal information (unless someone WISHES to contact us it asks for an email) has relevant content and is exclusive to the region and to many of the keywords I'm using.

Thank you in advance.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Navigation – There should not be any navigation menu on the landing pages. We need to prevent the visitors from leaving the page and wandering to other areas of the site. Providing navigation to other pages of the site can make the user click on any other link, move to another page and exit.

Call to action buttons – There should be a definite call to action button placed on a prominent position on the page [generally above the fold] with the message “Contact us now!” or “Request a quote now!” etc, which when clicked will point the user to the online contact form.

Contact form – The landing page itself should have an online contact form that would allow the user to contact the site. The contact form should be short and fetch only the bare minimum information that is needed, like Name, Email, and Contact No. Long contact forms having multiple fields are usually not advised on landing pages. Once we get the contact details, we can always fetch additional details later. The main goal is to establish a contact with the user and for that we should only request the minimum amount of information needed.

Content Format - The content of the landing pages should be absolutely targeted and concise. People generally don’t read landing pages but scan through them. For this reason it is advised to place important statements and text at a higher position on the page. The content should primarily highlight on the features and the benefits of availing services at the site. For example if the page is on “Tax Consultation Service”, then the page should have the importance of tax consultation first and then the feature of your service. Occasional coloring and bolding of important lines with a slightly higher font size works better for grabbing user attention.

Testimonials – The landing page should have client testimonials featured on them preferably within text boxes. This helps the user to make an informed decision.

Sample Work – If you can put sample of some of your product or service, that can create a good impact. In case of you are providing designing service, some good example of your work can help you to convert potential customers to real one. But remember, the sample should be visible from that page only; visitors should not leave for the landing page for that.

These are the main issues that should be taken care during landing page development. Google mainly looks into the content part to find out whether your landing page content in very much relevant with your targeted key terms or not. If you have targeted a niche terms and the landing page content is very generic, then Google might think that your page is not going to serve the proper thing to the niche visitors and they might warn you about your landing page.

Comments on this post

• realityhack : I completely disagree on Nav. That is flat out wrong. Much of the rest is optional and should be tested on a case by case basis not assumed.
    • Prof.stan : I may not get here what do you want to say about navigation menu this is wrong as I feel
  5. Contributing User

Originally Posted by kamleshgupta
    Hello Friends,

Can anybody please let me know how to add google search engine to the blog or websites.

Kindly do the needful.

Regards
    Kamlesh Gupta
    First of all your question is not at all clear. Are you talking about Google Custom Search?

Secondly this thread is all about on a totally different topic and your post is just a spoil sport kind of thing here.

You should start a new thread.
    I would like to request the mods to move this post from this thread.
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

The orginal landing page has most of this, but not all. The second landing page has all of this with the exception of testimonials. That's why I can't understand why google is rating it as "poor" and has essentialy shut me down from Adwords. Is it appropriate here to post a link so that people can see what I'm referring to?
    Last edited by goose512; May 21st, 2009 at 12:45 PM. Reason: remove quote
  9. Contributing User

realityhack and Prof.stan, well I always love to learn new things. And it would be great if people like you help me to figure out where I am wrong.

Can you guys please help me to find out where I am wrong in navigation part? Well you are agree with me. but whats your thoughts. I would like to know.

Also I will contact Kevin Lee (article on landing page at http://www.clickz.com/3506066) and Graham Charlton (article on landing page at http://econsultancy.com/blog/2650-12-ppc-landing-page-tips) and will tell them that they are also wrong.

Comments on this post

• Prof.stan agrees : Once time I need to by a TV by online I typed on Google online purchasing Philips TV in new Delhi and opened many sites but I bought from time of india because I was also looking comparisons with different TV features that LCD and flat TV
  11. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Originally Posted by goose512
    I recently started a new website for real estate. I put in all of my keywords and campaigns as I had done before. I launch the site and adwords and Google states my landing page is poor and won't show my ads. The landing page/homepage does have flash so I changed to to an internal page with more links and text that is meta tagged as well with no results. I've emailed support several times, they have responded but won't answer my question as to why this is happening. Google keeps attaching their link explaining why a site would receive a poor ranking on the landing page. I've read it several times and none of the reasons they state apply to my website. If appropriate here, I can post a link to the site/landing page and maybe someone can figure this out for me. The site is easy to navigate, has no pop-ups, does not ask for personal information (unless someone WISHES to contact us it asks for an email) has relevant content and is exclusive to the region and to many of the keywords I'm using.

Thank you in advance.

Is Google labeling the landing page as poor for all of your ad groups of for some of the ad groups.

You need to have a close relevance to the keywords in a particular ad group with the landing page you are using for that ad group.

Example:

Are the keywords you targeting in the <TITLE> element of the landing page?

Are they in the Header tags?

Are they in the content of the landing page?

Is the content of the landing page unique?

If the answer to the above is yes, then IMHO there is no reason why Google will term your landing page as a poor landing page.

Also you need to check whether there are any scripts running at the background increasing the loading time of the landing page.

Ideally your landing page should be an extension of your ad copy - there should be close relevance to what you say on the ad copy and the content on the landing page.

Review your landing page again and see if you need to change anything in it to make it more relevant to your ad copies/ keywords in the ad group.

SEO FAQs - You might find your answer here.
    SEOchat Forum Rules - Read Before You Post
  13. Super Moderator

realityhack disagrees: I completely disagree on Nav. That is flat out wrong. Much of the rest is optional and should be tested on a case by case basis not assumed.
    Prof.stan disagrees: I may not get here what do you want to say about navigation menu this is wrong as I feel
    The post made by new_seo above has more to do with optimizing the landing page for achieving higher conversions, optimizing cost of the campaign and increasing overall ROI

Regarding the navigation issue - he isn't wrong.

Each click on your ad costs money [depending on the CPC of the keyword you're bidding on]

So you need to make sure that the user landing on your landing page is kinda confined to the information you want to provide to him in order to help him make an informed decision [to buy or not to buy]

But whenever you put a navigation bar on the landing page pointing to other areas of your website - a visitor landing on the page [which already cost you money] might click on any link on the navigation bar...move away from the landing page and get lost within your website. However you are being charged for every visitor that lands by clicking on your ads. Hence that's wasted revenue.

So it is considered to be a good practice to not put any navigation on the landing page so that the users arriving at the page are not given much option/ choice to access other areas of the website which might get him lost and ultimately exit your website.

Of course, if you've lotsa moolah to play around with - you can not only keep a navigation menu but also your entire sitemap on your landing page - but that's a BAD MOVE

Comments on this post

• new_seo agrees : Sorry out of reputation poit for you
    • Prof.stan agrees : remaining parts >> and there was a navigation with that terms this is my individual thought I respect your thought also.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by pro_seo
    But whenever you put a navigation bar on the landing page pointing to other areas of your website - a visitor landing on the page [which already cost you money] might click on any link on the navigation bar...move away from the landing page and get lost within your website. However you are being charged for every visitor that lands by clicking on your ads. Hence that's wasted revenue.
    That may be the case for a few sites but for many it simply is not true. Consistency throughout the site is a huge trust factor and often makes a larger difference in conversion rate than trying to hide your general navigation from the landing page.
    People clicking on those other links are often looking for something that is not on the landing page.
    For many e-commerce sites visitors generally purchase more than one item. Removing nav. makes it difficult for the person to find the other products they want. When they do trust becomes an issue.
    Many sites sell things that can not be categorized into a single landing page so navigation is required to convert.
    What does your landing page look like for the term "Midland Radio"? Likely a lot of links deeper into the site for different categories, maybe a sale item, but not a single page divorced from the rest of your site.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

So it is considered to be a good practice to not put any navigation on the landing page so that the users arriving at the page are not given much option/ choice to access other areas of the website which might get him lost and ultimately exit your website.
    I have never purchased from such a site and I doubt I ever will. They inevitably look like a scam.
  19. Contributing User

realityhack, when people will have the option to go other pages - then there is a high possibility that the visitor will leave the site without any activities. Suppose you want people to register in your site for some reason and running a PPC campaign for that. Visitors are coming to your landing page where you have all the things that can convince him/her to register. But if through navigation visitor left your landing page then I don't think he/she will come back to that landing page to do the registration again. So you paid for a click and that gives you nothing in return.

Now if someone targeting "Midland Radio" in PPC, then I must say he/she is wasting money.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by new_seo
    Now if someone targeting "Midland Radio" in PPC, then I must say he/she is wasting money.
    A company that sells midland radios might disagree.

Looking at top companies online you will notice that they tend to have custom landing pages for particular terms but they KEEP their navigation intact to build trust and allow users to navigate to other pages they may be interested in.
    Clicking on the REI PPC ad for tents will deep link you to a page on tents, but it will not try to trap you on that page.
    The same is true of other major companies. They know keeping their NAV intact is important for building trust.

Now for affiliate type sites, or sites selling only one product, or perhaps for select industries things *might* be different. But I stand by my statement, trap me on a single landing page and it looks fishy to me. I am gone. Put me on a trustworthy looking site with clear navigation options, with the product I want and info I need right in front of me and I will likely buy. If I wander off I was not likely to buy anyway.
  23. Super Moderator

Originally Posted by realityhack
    That may be the case for a few sites but for many it simply is not true. Consistency throughout the site is a huge trust factor and often makes a larger difference in conversion rate than trying to hide your general navigation from the landing page.
    It isn't a matter or anything true of false.

Removing navigation from landing pages used in PPC campaigns is considered to be a good practice that makes sense and leads to better conversions.

What's false with that?

Did u ever test conversions with and without having navigation on your landing page?

People clicking on those other links are often looking for something that is not on the landing page.
    Then you need to re-check your ad copy buddy. If they are not finding what they are looking for on the landing page...then how come they had reached the landing page in the first place.

This indicates a poor match between the ad copy and the landing page [oranges in ad - apples in the landing page...huh?]

As I said earlier, a landing page should be an extension of your ad copy - it's a BIG failure on your part if visitors coming in to your landing page through ads [for which you're shelling out money] have to click on other links because "they aren't finding what you're offering" - and why's that? Because what you said and what they saw in the ads [that enticed them to click] is not the same when they reach the landing page.

For many e-commerce sites visitors generally purchase more than one item. Removing nav. makes it difficult for the person to find the other products they want. When they do trust becomes an issue.
    Landing pages [generally] are created separately focusing on one particular product or a couple of products. However, you may use your website homepage or a specific category page as your landing page - but it's just that it won't perform as well as it would have had it been a landing page specifically optimized for that product and it would also eat up a lot of your advertising budget on wasted clicks [wasted since they wander throughout your website and just shut down their browser]

Many sites sell things that can not be categorized into a single landing page so navigation is required to convert.
    What does your landing page look like for the term "Midland Radio"? Likely a lot of links deeper into the site for different categories, maybe a sale item, but not a single page divorced from the rest of your site.
    You need to understand first the basic motive of your PPC campaign - is it for making sales directly through the campaign or is it for branding purposes.

The example you're drawing is most likely for the later cause - since someone typing in Midland Radio already knows what they're looking for [I guess Midland Radio is a big name in communication products - correct me if I am wrong] so in that case a PPC campaign with Midland Radio as one of the keywords is not to directly influence sales but to reinforce their online branding [they'd be number 1 organically as well]

But, if Midland Radio is trying to promote one particular product such as Handheld All Hazards radio [http://www.midlandradio.com/At-Home.Z89/74-250C] then they gotto design a landing page targeted towards that very product highlighting its benefits and how it can help consumers.

This is because - when someone is searching in Google for Handheld All Hazards Alert Radio - they are not specifically looking for Midland Radio - but they're looking for the best product and the best deal they can get for handheld all hazards alert radio and that is the reason why Midlands Radio need to have a dedicated landing page for the product if they're trying to advertise through PPC programs.

On a sidenote - I searched for Wireless Broadband in Google India and I landed up on http://offers.connectindia.in/reliance_broadband/index.jsp?stid=4001&srid=2016&siid=1016&prid=11002 0&ciid=20001&agid=20001005&crid=5048

They don't put up a navigation on their landing page because they don't want me to click on the links and check out the thousands of products they offer - I searched for Wireless Broadband and they showed me what they can offer. I don't need to go anywhere else.

What's wrong or false with that?
  25. Super Moderator

Originally Posted by realityhack
    I have never purchased from such a site and I doubt I ever will. They inevitably look like a scam.
    No problem - they'll find another buyer anyways
  27. Super Moderator

Reality - If you're open to learning more about this then you might want to go through all these resources and read what they have to say about keeping/removing navigation from the landing pages

Landing page optimization, remove navigation

Hope this helps!

Comments on this post

• JVRudnick agrees : Oh yeah....nice direction pro_seo...HOPE it's followed.... ;-)
    • Prof.stan agrees : I don't think he is asking about this he is claiming one thing and I understand he is righ at some extent
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Reality - If you're open to learning more about this then you might want to go through all these resources and read what they have to say about keeping/removing navigation from the landing pages

Landing page optimization, remove navigation

Hope this helps!
    I have read a number of those. But I disagree with the blanket statement that was originally posted. Consistency is important for trustworthiness which in my experience is a larger conversion rate factor and companies selling more than a single item loose if they don't allow you to access their other products.

Let's say I search for Canon 5D. A very specific search. But would I buy from a site that put me on a page with ONLY the 5D and no other nav? no. B&H and Adorama are the largest players in that market. And they are going to show me their normal nav. Of COURSE they take me right to the correct camera selection, but it would look downscale and fishy if they took me to a landing page without their normal nav.

I am sure there are cases where such pages work. But I don't think it should be a blanket recommendation.