1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

How to Identify Click Fraud?

I have just started my adwords account up again and I am getting clicks. However I notice in my Analytics results Adword referrals are getting less Pages per visit than any other type of referring source. Google organic, as well as other "organic" hits get far more pages per click than adwords.

How can I tell if the clicks from Adwords are fraud and which are actual interested visitors who just found out what they saw is not what they wanted? I understand that it is quite normal for most visitors to just go to one page, however it seems there is a disperportionate amount of click and leave from adwords.

What should I be looking for in my analysis of hits that will tell me there is fraud going on?

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by anthonycr; Nov 5th, 2006 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Better title
  3. No Profile Picture

How to identify Click Fraud?

How to identify Click Fraud? should have been your topic.

How can I tell if the clicks from Adwords are fraud and which are actual interested visitors who just found out what they saw is not what they wanted? I understand that it is quite normal for most visitors to just go to one page, however it seems there is a disperportionate amount of click and leave from adwords.

What should I be looking for in my analysis of hits that will tell me there is fraud going on?
    Google's data on CTR, Conversion % etc., would give you an idea of what is happening. But ROI is the ultimate factor to be considered for identification of Click Fraud. Look out for the click patterns IPwise. Look out for the clicks which did not come to the landing pages.

D Sarathy.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by D Sarathy
    How to identify Click Fraud? should have been your topic.

Google's data on CTR, Conversion % etc., would give you an idea of what is happening. But ROI is the ultimate factor to be considered for identification of Click Fraud. Look out for the click patterns IPwise. Look out for the clicks which did not come to the landing pages.

D Sarathy.
    Thank you for having me clarify the title.

My adwords pages go to specific landing pages, mostly my home page, and one or two others. When you say "look out for the clicks which did not come to the landing pages" what do you mean by that? I would assume CTR would be going to more than one page since click frauders (is that a word?) would not waste time actually looking beyond the landing page clicked from the adwords link.

My site is small and I get very little ROI currently. That may be my site design or people just aren't interested in what I sell. I'm still trying to get adword to link to analytics (Or is it the other way around) but I haven't had time to devote to learning that aspect.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

First I would go to your analytics account and look at the index pages bounce rate.

Secondly I would analyze your log files and to see if you can identify a certain IP hitting more than normal.

Lastly I would add negative keywords as this is usually the case I have found.

GaryTheScubaGuy