1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

How much should you bid vs no competition for a keyword?

There's a keyword which there are no other ads for. The recommended bit is around half a dollar. But why can't I just bid 1 cent? What would be the consequences Also what is strange is that for local search (e.g. google.ca) this keyword is more expensive than global (google.com). But both cases have no competition (noone else have ads in top of the search for this keyword it seems). Should I still pay more for same keyword in the more local area?
  3. Professional SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Zayl
    But why can't I just bid 1 cent?
    You might want to look for a youtube video about this. I saw it a few years ago, a guy that just looks for keywords that are actually, 1 cent. He creates a huge document with hundreds of the keywords and uploads into his account. He showed that it worked.
  5. No Profile Picture

Sounds interesting I'm thinking for any keyword though. What happen if u bid 1 cent for a keyword which has suggested bid 12 cents? If nobody else has ads for the given keyword, why wouldnt bidding minimum possible be good?

Also what is strange is that for example the keyword "Meizu pro 6" (a smartphone) has a twice as cheap suggested bid if advertised in all locations than if just advertised within Canada. Do you know why it is so? This seems to be the case for many other smartphones as well. The more locally I wanna advertise them the more expensive it gets, isn't that contradictory?
  7. Professional SEO

Sounds interesting I'm thinking for any keyword though. What happen if u bid 1 cent for a keyword which has suggested bid 12 cents?
    The more locally I wanna advertise them the more expensive it gets, isn't that contradictory?
    I've not really paid any attention to suggested bids. They are often completely wrong anyway. So if you are the only bidder, you should be able to name your price...

But that is not necessarily surprising, that specific locations are more competitive in your market. My guess is that local cell retailers are vying for those keywords. And there is just less competition for Canada in general. A local retailer that wants walk in clients, is obviously not going to bid on keywords that aren't location specific.
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks for your reply. I'm new to PPC so it's confusing for me exactly how to bid. However it feels better to hear that suggested bid isnt that correct. If I do the same local google search I see no ads so that is why I think it may be no competition but still more expensive.
  11. Professional SEO

Thanks for your reply. I'm new to PPC so it's confusing for me exactly how to bid. However it feels better to hear that suggested bid isnt that correct. If I do the same local google search I see no ads so that is why I think it may be no competition but still more expensive.
    I researched it at one time, but decided it would take a lot of time to develop the skills, for a few reasons..

If you think about it, most markets that have searches performed, will develop paid advertisers. It's supply and demand. So any keyword that has no paid advertisers, will likely be rarely searched. Lets say the keywords come up in searches once or twice a year. That means you may need thousands of keywords to make it worthwhile.

But You may like that youtube video if you can find it. This guy seemed like he had figured it out.

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees : Thanks for helping out!
    Last edited by DirectHits; Sep 19th, 2016 at 01:36 PM.
  13. No Profile Picture

I'll try to look for it thanks By the way I found a good website spyfu dot com. If you type any keyword there it will give you info about click through rate, cost per click, amount of advertizers and so on.. Seems rly useful
  15. Professional SEO

I wrote my last post in haste and found it to be a little confusing - just edited it ;)

But here's another site: www.semrush.com

I find these sites to be a bit inaccurate, but still useful for general trends.

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees
  17. No Profile Picture

Aha yes I see. The point is that it could still be profitable to pay for many many low search volume keyword if you just bid the minimum? That's interesting too. I'll guess even if noone searches and u just pay per click it cant be too bad to pay for a keyword with few searches?

Thanks for the link to semrush.com I think alexa.com is supposed to be more accurate than most of these types of sites tho, cause its based on amazon who has more info than google. The downside is it requires monthly payment so havent gotten as far as to try it myself just yet.
  19. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I've actually spoken directly to Google about this (and have the chat transcript somewhere). I used to pay 1 cent per click and got thousands of visitors but all that has stopped.

I was told by Google Adwords that the minimum bid, when there is actually no competition, is what they think the bidding would be based on the number of searches that are carried out for that keyword. If you don't bid it, or something near it, they'll push your ad to the bottom of the page or even page 2 or 3.

Basically they treat your ad 'as if' there were other ads bidding.

Incidentally had exactly the same issue with .ca vs .com and exactly the same answer from Google. Welcome to Google's imaginary world!!!