1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

High Position Ads and High Organic Rankings

I question regarding when deciding when not to have a paid ad due to high organic rankings.

I'm overseeing SEO updates as well as Google Ads words campaigns for one of my company's ecommerce sites GateCrafters.com.

As an example the keyword "gate opener parts" we rank between 1-3 organically and have a 1st position PPC ad.

Now common sense would tell me that we don't need the PPC, due to our high organic rankings. Is there any benefit to having both high natural rankings and a high position add for the same keyword(s)?
  3. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

YES! Compare conversions. PPC likely converts better.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by fathom
    YES! Compare conversions. PPC likely converts better.
    That does make sense. I'm going to add this to my list of reports to watch.

Thanks again!
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I have also seen studies that indicate people respond differently to ads versus organic results. Some people tend to click ads; others tend to avoid them. So to some extent, your PPC ads and organic search placements are reaching different audiences.

Comments on this post

• fathom agrees
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by wygk
    I have also seen studies that indicate people respond differently to ads versus organic results. Some people tend to click ads; others tend to avoid them. So to some extent, your PPC ads and organic search placements are reaching different audiences.
    That does make sense. Do you happen to have any of these studies handy? I like reading documents like this to further my learning on PPC & SEO.
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by FearNothing321
    That does make sense. Do you happen to have any of these studies handy? I like reading documents like this to further my learning on PPC & SEO.
    Sorry, I don't. At one point I was getting a lot of marketing and training materials from both Google and Yahoo, and I think the studies I recall were discussed in both.

If you're looking for a good source of articles on how SEO and PPC work, I think the co-marketing and training materials put out by the big search engine companies are an often-overlooked gold mine.
  13. No Profile Picture

In the scenario that your website is in the ads and just after the ads comes your site, chances are that people will click the ad or the organic. But never they will click ONLY the organic link - from my experience for years.
    So, keep paying Google, is the only way to survive - unfortunately!
  15. Contributing User

Have in mind that, given your position, every additional marketing effort is providing more and more financial effect. In other words, if you were on 10th page of Google, nobody would care. You would get some sales but they would most likely be from some other sources (not Google). However, given that you have such a great position, every additional effort will convert as hell. For example, every time Coca-Cola makes a commercial, entire world knows about it. Same with Pepsi. But no one knows about the third guy. They are tossed under the rug. You are in a superb position to become a monopolist. Exploit it through additional exposure, traffic and everything else.