1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Global targeted Adwords Campaign - Is it a good start?

In general, 7 out of 10 campaigns created in Good Adwords, focuses all the countries. Though the intention of the advertiser is good but they do not get the results what they are supposed to get. When an Adwords Campaign is focused for all the countries :
    1. It demands a higher budget. The publisher thinks that his / her Ads would have better reach.
    2. Since the GDP of each country varies, it gets reflected in their spending and buying habits.
    3. Initially the majority of the ads get displayed in the countries with lesser GDP and when it comes to the important countries, the budget gets exhausted.
    4. As a result the campaign gets served to a larger audience group, who would not be in a position to buy the product.
    So the question is - Is it good to get started with global targeted Adwords Campaign?

D Sarathy.
    RankQuest.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by D Sarathy
    In general, 7 out of 10 campaigns created in Good Adwords, focuses all the countries. Though the intention of the advertiser is good but they do not get the results what they are supposed to get. When an Adwords Campaign is focused for all the countries :
    1. It demands a higher budget. The publisher thinks that his / her Ads would have better reach.
    2. Since the GDP of each country varies, it gets reflected in their spending and buying habits.
    3. Initially the majority of the ads get displayed in the countries with lesser GDP and when it comes to the important countries, the budget gets exhausted.
    4. As a result the campaign gets served to a larger audience group, who would not be in a position to buy the product.
    So the question is - Is it good to get started with global targeted Adwords Campaign?

D Sarathy.
    RankQuest.
    I wouldn't start so large. I would start by looking at their demographics and targeting that country, then building from there.

I run campaigns much like your clients, in many countries. Not for the same company, but with the same demographics.

Its impossible to start a campaign that covers the broad spectrum of language,(both proper and slang) as well as culture and other important factors.

The other option is to start them all out if the traffic needs to be there, but start the campaigns out very small. Don't chase the top 5% of their keywords. The traffic that can be derived from the 40-95% range (even the #4-6th) position will give you the opportunity to gather the important information you will need to build effective campaigns.

The approach I would take as far as your differences in budgets go is to create campaigns for each country, then drill them down from there. This will allow you to set different countries/regions on each campaign, as well as denominations.

I have run campaigns in many countries and sometimes for the same company and the same products. Your best outsourcing your keyword research as well as ad copy to a company within the country you are marketing to.

My last recommendation, (well, the last BIG issue to deal with) is that hopefully this client already has separate sites and content relative to the specific country they are going for, rather than using IP identifiers that show the different versions. While this may work in organics, IMHO I don't feel as though the algo currently being used on the Google PPC market is tuned well enough right now to deliver the same results across all the countries. Of course a difference in your competition will skew those results.

I sincerely hope that you have everything in place that you are going to need to make this a successful campaign. I have seen many individuals and companies go south taking this type of client on.

It will take 100's, if not 1000's of hours to get it right. Better prepare them for minimal traffic for the first 3 months, then followed by a residual increase.

If they already have current campaigns, keep the high CTR keywords, use the Adwords tool to pool them into one campign, and dump the rest. Whatever you do, if there are keywords with let's say 2-3% CTR or higher, keep them just for safe measure. Do not change any of the ad copy...even one letter on the ads that point to these keywords, as it will erase all history and you may as well start from scratch.

If your clients site isn't optimized in this way, offer to develop micro-sites. This has been an extremely successful approach for me.

Good Luck, and email me any other question you may have.

GaryTheScubaDiver
  5. No Profile Picture

micro-sites?

Hi GaryTheScubaGuy,
    Thanks for sharing your experience. It is indeed an elaborate post.
    But can you explain more about the point mentioned below?
    If your clients site isn't optimized in this way, offer to develop micro-sites. This has been an extremely successful approach for me.
    D Sarathy.
    RankQuest
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by D Sarathy

D Sarathy.
    RankQuest.
    i would target only my country. if you have a shipping department where your products are tangible than go local until your revenue from the channel can justify going wider in terms of areas you serve.