1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Adwords Quality Score Help Needed

Thank you for reading!

I need some assistance on getting my quality score up. I have spent days reading and can not seem to make it happen. I would be glad to pay an expert if needed.

I setup my account about a year ago and have the following stats.
    5642 clicks
    1,147,618 impressions
    0.49% CTR
    4.9 Average position

5 Months ago I started advertising for Business Plan and other variations of that keyword.
    3,090 clicks
    649,470 Impressions
    0.48% CTR
    5.9 AVG Position
    I have around 5 to 6 out of 10 for quality score.

My main keywords, "Business Plan" and [Business Plan] have a 3 out of 10 and it is costing me lots of money.
    Yesterday I setup a new Ad group just for those 2 keywords. My title has Business Plan in it, Each line of text has Business Plan in it and the URL shown has Plan in it. My landing page has Business Plan in the URL, Title, Keywords, Description, and 3 H1's. All my pages link to the landing page using Business Plan Landing as the text.

Before I started to advertise I had a 7/10 quality score. Once I had 1 impression it dropped to 3/10. Yesterday I had 0.76% CTR with an average position of 3.9.

One thing that I know is hurting my CTR is that I list what my price starts at and I am sure that causes people not to click. I think I have other issues besides the CTR. I have very low CTR's on other keywords; 0.30% and I still have a 5/10. On the 5/10 I do not have the keyword placed in as many places as I do Business Plan.

Thank you for your help.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

My first thought is maybe a bit of keyword overkill on the landing page. My second thought is, do you have a high bounce rate on the landing page?

I believe that Google looks to that as a quality indicator. When you first create an ad, Google compares the ad content to the landing page content to get a "first impression" of the landing page quality. After that it's going to count on user behavior to validate that "first impression". That's my understanding, anyway.

Do you have enough calls to action on the landing page? Not just to buy, but to find more information about your site, products and services. If people land on your site and then click something, Google figures they must have found something of interest even if they don't convert right away. If people mostly go right back to searching after clicking the ad Google figures there must not be much there of value, even if the user spent several minutes reading your content.

Of course, I could be wrong about if/how much this matters ... I'm sure somebody will let us know if that's the case

Also, in my experience giving prices in the ad text is a good thing. You'll lose some clicks, but those clicks weren't likely to convert anyway since they don't like your price, and the clicks you do get will be from people who are still interested after being aware of your pricing - which means they're that much closer to a purchasing decision.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thank You

I as well was wondering about the word being used too much. I found that the keyword density was around 6%.

I agree that having the price causes me to have a lower CTR but I would rather have the good leads.

Bounce rate 69%.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You mentioned you have a different keyword that gets 0.30% CTR and is at 5/10. How does the bounce rate for that landing page compare with the 69% that you're getting on the page in question? I'm assuming these two ads are for the same business/industry of course, otherwise it's not a very useful comparison.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hi, first time post here.

There are a lot of misconceptions about Adwords quality score.

First, the main and by far the largest component of QS is your click rate. Your CTR is very low at 0.5% (I assume this is for search only and not the content network).

Create better ads that people click on and your QS will increase.

Second, I don't know what you are selling but "business plan" is very vague. This would partly explain your low CTR and low QS.

Many will disagree with me and give their opinions why but I don't think in most cases that price should be mentioned in the ad.

Bounce rate has nothing to do with QS. I explain it more in a free download called Adwords FAQ that I have on my site (can't post links yet but check my profile) but QS is 60-65% click rate, about 25% keyword relevancy and the rest to other factors, the main one being how fast your page loads.