1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

AdWords Quality Score

I'm running different tests in my campaign and I came across something very interesting. I'm using the KW's: "my key word is the best" just for the sake of the example. These are my actual KW's.

For a few good weeks now ;m running the KW "+my +key +word". It was "Rarely shown due to low quality score" which was 2/10.

I ran a test and I entered the following "+my +key word" and the Quality Score jumped to 6/10.

I ran another test and I took a long tail one such as "+my +key +word +is +the +best" and the QS jumped to 9/10 !!! It has low search volume notification but still. And of course "+my +key +word +is +the +best +ever" gave me a perfect 10/10 QS (with low search volume). Dropping the word "+best" from this one dropped it to 8/10.

Now the kicker... the word "best" doesn't even show on my LP's OR the Ads.

I also discovered that changing the location of the words also influenced the QS!

"+my +key +word" got 5/10 while
    "+word +my +key" got 6/10.

My assumptions so far: according to these findings, Google's QS ranking system is NOT only about the LP and Ads. So far it looks like the more long tail you go, the higher your QS goes. But this theory goes down the second you take the same phrase and just change the actual location of the words.

This is very odd to me. How is it even possible? What Google is trying to here besides driving us crazy?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

long tail keywords always are more targeted and you/google can expect higher CTR, so starting QS for long tail keywords is usually higher.

I do not think if words order make very big impact to QS, you should check QS after 2-5 days, I guess you'll pretty match the same QS for these keywords.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm sorry but you're missing the point here. This is quite shocking to see that no one has anything to say about the subject and its results.

I'm not talking about CTR here at all. That's aside. I'm showing you guys a formula that has no logical (Adowrdi) explanation. QS should be higher for long tail but look again at the examples provided. We got a word that doesn't even SHOW in the ads or landing page and Google is ranking your QS based on it.

Also, do you see the conflict here? Google AdWords pushing us towards long tail all day long BUT you get less and less traffic with the longer longtail KW's.
  7. No Profile Picture

Quality score is hard to factor in. I have a couple ads running that are 9/10 and they are heavily searched and most are only two words. Tinkering is the best way to get them adjusted correctly. I do see what your saying Dedo.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It's a bit shocking for me how this thread didn't pick up more replies. I'm not sure if users here just bury their head in the sand or don't know better. I'm finding these findings disturbing to a certain extent.

Comments on this post

• fathom agrees : mass exit of quality posters
  11. No Profile Picture

Ad-word quality score is the score which is given by Google to every keyword based on three factors.
    1- Relevancy of keyword
    2- Quality of landing pages
    3- Quality of Ad copies