1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

AdWords - Account Level Quality Score

Hi guys,

I recently added a new campaign with new keywords and new text ads, to my account. I had these questions; How does Google attribute QS to new keywords in new campaigns with new ads? Does the QS of my older keywords affect the QS of the new ones?

I know that expected CTR, ad relevance and landing landing page experience are part of the algorythm for keywords QS. So, I decided to search for Account Level Quality Score. That's what I found. The account level quality score was supposed to be an average of your overall keywords quality score (Google denied the existance of such metric). Google reported in their whitepaper on quality score that "There is no such thing as ad group-level, campaign-level or account-level Quality Score.", but also reported that "Instead of measuring new keywords from scratch, we start with info about related ads and landing pages you already have.", which may indicate that your actual performance affect new keywords performance. In 2015, WordStream posted "Sorry, Google, Account-Level Quality Score Still Exists", an article unfortunately without actual research/proof..., saying that the account level quality score exist but is hidden.

I'm still monitoring KWs QS (I'm not deleting KWs based on QS, and if you're reading this and you're new to Adwords, I don't recommend this behavior), but I'm curious. I would like to know if you have recent information on this topic.

Thank you !
  3. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Hi NMC, great topic starter. Google says a lot of things, they say:
    Quality Score is an aggregated estimate of your overall performance in ad auctions, and is not used at auction time to determine Ad Rank.
    If that's the case why is QS and LPE not calculated until you get a number of clicks?

I honestly don't pay attention to why they do what they do. If I had underperforming keywords I would either remove them or make a new adgroup. Many of my adgroups contain 1 key phrase.

Comments on this post

• Not Matt Cutts agrees
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

If I had underperforming keywords I would either remove them or make a new adgroup. Many of my adgroups contain 1 key phrase.
    I do the same. I think it's actually good practice for underperforming keywords.
  7. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Don't forget add more site link extensions, you get 8 now