1. Data Analysis+KW Research
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question 4-pack Ads. Thoughts?

I've heard that CTR is increasing due to the fact that people pretty much have nowhere else to click other than ads, did anyone notice the change?
    Also, do you think average adwords price should be lower, if your ad is one out of 4 rather than 3.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

According to an article I've just read on searchengineland, this change would indeed increase the CTR but also raise the CPC. More CTR means more opportunities for advertisers and will attract the competitors as well. Now, let's see if the conversions will cover it or not.

Regarding SEO results, I think this change will impact them as - as you said - ads now occupy almost all the top of the page. Will this mean organic results will loose clicks?
  5. Data Analysis+KW Research

Already nothing but Ads for so many queries. How long till the first page is gone...
  7. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

It's a little depressing to me, personally. Sometimes I wonder if Google has really gotten "worse" over time, or if my perception of it has only changed because I started reading more about SEO and stuff. A lot of the forum posts and stuff that I read feel pretty pessimistic about the state of things and where it's all going. I'm sure more ads, more map space, etc will be good for some niches and not so much for others.

Local forum-goer Ann Smarty did a write-up of the 4-pack just today in conjunction with the team at IMN, the folks who own this forum. Disclosure - I work for 'em. But I thought I'd link it because it's a more optimistic piece compared to the other stuff I've read.

Comments on this post

• knuckles agrees
  9. Data Analysis+KW Research

Seems like Google's new policy is – Everyone should care about user experience, except Google. Because I really don't feel like scrolling through a bunch of ads to get to organic results, some people may find what they look for in ads, but I've had a habit of ignoring those since forever.
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

It's also interesting how Google prices these spots when there is no competition. I had a chat with a Google Ad rep about this years back because I wanted to have an ad for a keyword phrase that nobody else targeted and I'd managed to bid $0.01 in the past.

However Adwords said for the ad to activate I would need to bid $0.68 per click. I asked the rep why and he said Google, in the absence of other PPC bidders, has an inbuilt calculation about how much people should be bidding based on the number of times the phrase is searched.

So where there is no competition there, Google imagines the competition and ... pay up!

You'll often see searches which bring up no ads at the top but one or more at the bottom. All part of the Google fantasy!
  13. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by Doodled
    So where there is no competition there, Google imagines the competition and ... pay up!

You'll often see searches which bring up no ads at the top but one or more at the bottom. All part of the Google fantasy!
    Ha! Wow - I mean, smart business decision on Google's part, I guess. But those are some heavy brass cojones they've got!