1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Toying with starting an Adsense site

Hello there,

Ok I want to start an Adsense site I am thinking of doing reviews for outdoor gear and gadgets I feel I can create more in depth content that the leading magazines in my area. The reviews my rivals have are less than 400 words tops. My aim would be for 10 reviews to start with and an other 1 to 2 per month from then on. The word count for the reviews would amount to about 750 to 1000.

I would then share on Facebook, Twitter and Google plus for SEO.

I want the Ads near the bottom of the page as I am sure I am interesting enough to engage my reader.

I have a few USPs but I would rather keep those to myself.

Do you guys have any pointers on how to start up? and would 1000 pound a year be a realistic amount to earn via Adsense?

P.S this site will be for paying for Christmas presents basically.
  3. No Profile Picture

with single site you can earn even 100$ per month. make multiple sites with target keywords. where high paying cpc keywords are available in google search.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

First off...
    How much outdoor gear do you own?
    How often do you use it?
    How much can you get your hands on to test (friends, family, that guy you know who owns a store)?
    What is your experience level and what kind of experience is it (ex. 2-3 backpacking trips a year for 10 years)?

Don't shoot to out do some local mag. This is the internet. You will be competing with the best review sites on the net. And don't forget places like REI where users review things and experience ads up.

Finally... do you live and breath this stuff?

The reason I ask is that there are a lot of 'adsense' sites out there, many/most are horrible and essentially web spam. They convert much worse than adwords and advertisers know it. Eventually Google may do some housekeeping.
    If you want to really do something amazing, and have the energy and resources to keep doing it over and over week after week month after month because you friggin love this stuff... then you can create a great site that will attract visitors and get you revenue through adwords and/or amazon affiliation.

If you don't... please don't spam my web with low quality content. Every time I click on that crap I want to throttle someone.

Once you know if you are in for the long haul, get things up and running, figure out what to use for a back end (ex. drupal), write some articles, use good clear images, be prepared to spend time on that, consider short videos... once you have say 5 articles up so your site isn't empty and you have the hang of how long they take etc. THEN insert some ads, and start promoting (if you still want to commit to it). Once traffic is decent TEST ad positioning, don't assume.

The EEV Blog must take considerable time and effort but the guy who runs it loves that ****. As a result it can make actual money.
  7. No Profile Picture

Thanks Reality Hack,

I am going to focus on trail running I own more than my fair share of outdoor gear, and I can get my hands on it very easily I work in a store part time so I can get most of it at a competitive price. I am also very good at finding unappreciated items in TK maxx like Mammut fleeces and the like. I may drift to camping/hiking as and when required. I use a blog format and offer gear reviews, running stories. I think I know my stuff when it comes to technical garments and footwear.

The content I was refering to was actually the big boys in the UK they don't have a great deal of depth in their online reviews, I know they know their stuff but they don't share it with the internet. I think I can offer more in depth reviews which are also a lot more exciting.

Click through rate is a secondary concern for me I would rather the user could appreciate my content rather than clicking every ad on the site.

My aim was to get at least ten articles before I put adsense in.

I am also wanting to perfect my SEO and useability skills whilst working on the site.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Sounds like a real plan. Something you are passionate and know about.
    Your first move should probably be to figure out what platform you want to use, get a host, and play around a bit so you are familiar with how to get the blog from a word processor onto a site.

Then think about any special stuff you want, like a separate list of reviews vs. blogs, star ratings on equipment (if so what specific aspects), text call out boxes for great sentences, those kinds of things.
    Don't forget to sprinkle in a few blog posts in your initial run so people don't think it is just a review site. No surprises for users.

If the available reviews are poor you should actually have a fairly easy time getting some initial traffic once you are ready. Just poking around on forums and mentioning that you wrote a review on the thing they are considering purchasing could get you some traction.

Good Luck.