1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I Spent 40 On Facebook Adds - Have I Wasted 40 ?

My aim was to get leads from Facebook. Completion was sale of a Photograph / Canvas.

I dont think I sold one, and I believe I got poor reach and poor engagment.

Where did I go wrong ?? Should I have spent it on Adwords ?
    All The Fun Of The Fair !!!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by Glenn Kilpatric
    My aim was to get leads from Facebook. Completion was sale of a Photograph / Canvas.

I dont think I sold one, and I believe I got poor reach and poor engagment.

Where did I go wrong ?? Should I have spent it on Adwords ?
    Hey Glenn,

I want to start off by saying spending $43 USD (sorry im in US and cant put the pound symbol) will not get you much on ANY ad campaign. Especially with AdWords, because those who run their campaigns longer get loyalty boosts from Google. Maybe I can offer some advise on how to make your campaign better... but I had a few questions:

1) Were you promoting a post, page, website, or product?
    2) did you narrow down your audience?
    3) did you geo target?

Comments on this post

• Test-ok agrees : 43 bucks isn't much.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I have to second what jeffryag1026 said.

I have clients who are in a niche market and they are spending around $20k (USD) a month on their adwords campaign. Having such a small budget is going to make it tough to get the kind of visibility and engagement i'm guessing you're looking for.

In addition to the questions jeffryag1026 asked, some other questions I'd want to know are:
    what demographic are you targeting?
    Is that demographic on facebook?
    How much information can you gather about your potential clients
    - what are their peak times of day they are on facebook?
    - do they make purchases because of other facebook ads?

To me personally, I've never bought something because of an ad i saw on facebook, but that doesn't mean other people won't. However, if someone is looking for a print like the ones you're selling, do you think they would be more likely to search Google or Bing for it? If so, it might be best to use your money somewhere else.

Comments on this post

• Test-ok agrees : it's like going to the gas station for computer parts.
  7. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Yea I don't shop on FB either, I don't even look at the ads...FB isn't for shopping.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ok Guys,

I was promoting this page on my site : Whitby Photography - Glenn Kilpatrick - The Illuminated Whitby Abbey
    I tried to Narrow down my audience, but I found it difficult to understand how to do this through the options I was Given.
    I used this Facebook page to run my campaign - https://www.facebook.com/whitby.england/
    I havent used geotagging, nor do i know how to do so in facebook. Although the images are of my hoemtown, I wouldnt want to limit the advert to people only living in my hoemtown as we are a town with a mass of visitors from across the UK and growing in attractiveness to visitors from across the world. My facebook group has members in Australia dn New Zealand who have bought products form me.

I have attached a screenshot of what my ad looked like. It looked a bit of a mess to me.

I have sold prints on Facebook through another group I run - https://www.facebook.com/groups/940438095995102/

I LIKE GROUPS BECAUSE THEY are easy to engage people, sadly you cant run ad campaigns in a group. I have sold prints and such via my group.

I am looking for leads for my Business as a whole. That includes Photography Tuition, Walks, Portraits, Weddings, Prints, Canvases and all other products and services.

I tried facebook as I felt it may be helpful. I realise that leads may never come from Facebook or Google, and I remember another member here advising someone to get off the net, Ie run local campaigns, posters, Leaflets, business cards, exhibitions etc.

Any advice at all is much appreciated.
    Attached Images
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ok Guys,

I was promoting this page on my site : Whitby Photography - Glenn Kilpatrick - The Illuminated Whitby Abbey
    I tried to Narrow down my audience, but I found it difficult to understand how to do this through the options I was Given.
    I used this Facebook page to run my campaign - https://www.facebook.com/whitby.england/
    I havent used geotagging, nor do i know how to do so in facebook. Although the images are of my hoemtown, I wouldnt want to limit the advert to people only living in my hoemtown as we are a town with a mass of visitors from across the UK and growing in attractiveness to visitors from across the world. My facebook group has members in Australia dn New Zealand who have bought products form me.

I have attached a screenshot of what my ad looked like. It looked a bit of a mess to me.

I have sold prints on Facebook through another group I run - https://www.facebook.com/groups/940438095995102/

I LIKE GROUPS BECAUSE THEY are easy to engage people, sadly you cant run ad campaigns in a group. I have sold prints and such via my group.

I am looking for leads for my Business as a whole. That includes Photography Tuition, Walks, Portraits, Weddings, Prints, Canvases and all other products and services.

I tried facebook as I felt it may be helpful. I realise that leads may never come from Facebook or Google, and I remember another member here advising someone to get off the net, Ie run local campaigns, posters, Leaflets, business cards, exhibitions etc.

Any advice at all is much appreciated.

Glenn,

None of the examples you've shown are Facebook ads. Those are just post on your page telling people to buy your canvas. Also to make an ad that tells people to email you to order I think is a bit odd, why not just direct them to the site where they can buy? Another thing... Your landing page is not really making it easy for me to buy. I would suggest maybe a "buy now" button under each photo that directs them to the payment page. Although you want your ads to be seen world wide... Realistically speaking you would need millions of dollars for that to become anywhere near as effective as you'd want it to be. I think even if you targeted just your hometown on a $40 budget, you won't see any progress. PPC campaigns should be seen more as a luxury that businesses use to complement their other marketing efforts.

Moral of the story: if you only have $40... Dont even think about PPC

Comments on this post

• Doodled agrees : spot on
  13. Digital Marketing

if $40 is a lot of money to you, I suggest you get a job with a pro and learn the ropes before going out on out your own

Comments on this post

• fathom agrees : ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Very cliched. I am a Professional photographer. Your cliched response was of little help. To be honest I wish you hadnt posted at all
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thankyou Jefryag, I think Your post was perhaps most helpful.

Im new to spending money on advertisng, and I was wondering if it was worth my time pursuing this line. One of the main problems Ive had with SEO chat over the years is that a lot of the answers seem to assume everyone is some multi national company with massive budgets. I reality I need to earn roughly 250 to 300 a week to maintain my current standard of living which Im very happy with.

I think Fathom once posted something quite useful to someone about getting Off the internet. ie spend your small budget on leaflets to give out locally,Go to local business fares etc.

As all this is trial and error to em, I would appreciated helpful comments rather than the Cliched ones I see rolled out time and again on here.

Out of interest. What sort of a budget would you think about for a Months PPC Campaign ??
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Screen Shot 2015-11-10 at 11.23.01.png
    Originally Posted by jeffryag1026
    Glenn,

None of the examples you've shown are Facebook ads.
    My apologies. I attached the wrong image. I shall try again. When I set up the add, I got the feeling something wasn't quite right, but I let it roll anyway as I saw it as an experiement.

My thought process was that if I sold one Canvas I made my money back, and if I sold 2 I made a profit. I do need to point out that canvas sales is only a very small part of what i do and I mainly focus on other parts of my business, but i was wanting to see if I could boost sales.

My thought process was that if I could sell 2 of a 40 investment, then could I sell 4off a 80 investment ? Could I sell 8 off a 160 investment ??

My initial post here was to ask for help in working it out. Kernal Panics response has put me off ever asking a question again.
    Last edited by Glenn Kilpatric; Nov 10th, 2015 at 05:31 AM.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Screen Shot 2015-11-10 at 11.23.01.png

My apologies. I attached the wrong image. I shall try again. When I set up the add, I got the feeling something wasn't quite right, but I let it roll anyway as I saw it as an experiement.

My thought process was that if I sold one Canvas I made my money back, and if I sold 2 I made a profit. I do need to point out that canvas sales is only a very small part of what i do and I mainly focus on other parts of my business, but i was wanting to see if I could boost sales.

My thought process was that if I could sell 2 of a 40 investment, then could I sell 4off a 80 investment ? Could I sell 8 off a 160 investment ??

My initial post here was to ask for help in working it out. Kernal Panics response has put me off ever asking a question again.
    Everyone has a different way of projecting their ideas and beliefs so don't be put off from asking any other questions...that is what the forum is for. The truth is, with PPC there is a lot of trial and error, testing multiple ad copy's at once (A|B Testing), and most importantly money. I can see where you were going with the idea but in order to make it work, I wouldn't start a PPC campaign with less than $3K/month MINIMUM. Even then you would need to let time pass, crunch numbers, and adjust your campaigns according to the data. My advice would be go to art shows and network with your target audience and other artist. Collect email addresses and build a clients list you can mass email new products and pictures, it makes no sense to even do leaflets (which I imagine are flyers) unless you know exactly where to put them. A lot of people have the misconception that it is all about getting views to the page....but unless you are bringing the right views to your page, your campaign will fail. Go out and network!
  23. Digital Marketing

Really? My response is the only one I see that is of any use at all in this thread. If all you have is $40 you should not be doing online marketing. Same goes if all you have is $400.00! I am just trying to keep you from wasting your money.
  25. No Profile Picture

Ok Guys, Ive had a change of username / new account. AT NO POINT HAVE I EVER SAID I ONLY have a budget of 40. I don't think Ive mentioned my budget. All Ive said is I spent 40 on a trial ad.

There is a guy on Facebook whose business is not too dissimilar to mine. He seems to use Facebook to create leads and be social with his customers. I don't think he is on Facebook for the good of his health. This guys seems to have a lot of people on Facebook at the moment thanking him for their presents which they purchased off him for Christmas. Clearly people are shopping with him.

https://www.facebook.com/VillagerJim

I am pleased you are wanting to stop me wasting my money. I hate to waste money. But Im also very aware of the phrase "Speculate to accumulate".

At present I do have customers that have found me through social media. Facebook reach, I believe, is stopping me from finding more.

If I had a budget of 1000 what would your advise be then ?? Is it still not to bother ??
  27. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Hello Bishop Bob!

I'm just dropping in to ask - did you change your username on purpose, or was it because you got locked out of your old account? If it was on purpose, just ignore me. But if you were locked out of your old account somehow, shoot me an email at markr@imninjas.com and I can try and get you back in.