1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Improving site conversion

Hi,

I'm new here, so be gentle! Looks like a great community so Im happy to be aboard.

I am wondering if anyone has any tips for improving site conversion for high price tag items. I am working on a site; oakfurniturefdf.co.uk and we are now attracting decent natural visitors daily, but we are not converting as many as i would like.

Bounce is good, ave page views is fairly poor (4 page), i feel like we're 99.5% there, but we're just missing that crucial last part.

I've got a good track record in ecommerce and conversion, but not with high price tag product so Im hoping some of you experts may be able to spot anything im missing by being too close to it.

Thanks in advance
  3. A Developers Perspective
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by meltingpotweb
    Hi,

I'm new here, so be gentle! Looks like a great community so Im happy to be aboard.

I am wondering if anyone has any tips for improving site conversion for high price tag items. I am working on a site; oakfurniturefdf.co.uk and we are now attracting decent natural visitors daily, but we are not converting as many as i would like.

Bounce is good, ave page views is fairly poor (4 page), i feel like we're 99.5% there, but we're just missing that crucial last part.

I've got a good track record in ecommerce and conversion, but not with high price tag product so Im hoping some of you experts may be able to spot anything im missing by being too close to it.

Thanks in advance
    Granted im no expert in this field and im sure you know more than me.

But id personally expect a lower conversion rate when dealing with high priced items, due to the customer trying to save money. If people find a tshirt they like its normally like 15-30 and if they shop around they might be able to get something similar for 0-5 cheaper, so people dont tend to bother too much.

But with something like furniture, people will want to have a look around to see if there is anything else they can get and save money. And also furniture is more of a permanent product ( dont purchase new very often) so people want to be sure that is their favourite before making the purchase.

Thats how id perceive it but then i suppose it depends on the difference between the conversion rates.
    (ps not looked at website)
    If you are new to SEO please read these, On-Page Optimisation and Meta data before asking questions.

Or if you would just like to view my website: http://www.cwhittaker.com, State SEOCHAT for 10% off custom websites
  5. No Profile Picture

hi thanks for the quick reply.

yes this is what Id thought too, the higher the tag the tougher the conversion. Though I've read some blogs by people claiming that it is exactly the same - certainly doesnt seem to be true on this project, but that's no reason to not strive for greatness.
  7. A Developers Perspective

Originally Posted by meltingpotweb
    hi thanks for the quick reply.

yes this is what Id thought too, the higher the tag the tougher the conversion. Though I've read some blogs by people claiming that it is exactly the same - certainly doesnt seem to be true on this project, but that's no reason to not strive for greatness.
    of course not, everything can always be improved, I just wouldn't know where to advise you as I dont have the experience. Am only just setting up my first online shop myself.
  9. No Profile Picture

wasnt suggesting you thought I shouldnt strive! (been here 5 minutes and already upset a native lol), was thinking aloud really.

thanks again for your input

Comments on this post

• ChillDot agrees : haha you didnt upset me at all, i was just saying why i wasnt offering advice :)
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hello meltingpotweb!

If your site is pretty new, be patient, conversion rate will grow with your site popularity.

Do everything what is necessary to do to promote your site, don't forget about some advertising.

I've checked your site and really love it. You have such must-haves as new products and best sellers blocks on a home page as well as you have a blog that is a good promotion tool. I think that you do everything right, just be patient.
  13. A Developers Perspective

Originally Posted by Alt-team
    Hello meltingpotweb!

If your site is pretty new, be patient, conversion rate will grow with your site popularity.

Do everything what is necessary to do to promote your site, don't forget about some advertising.

I've checked your site and really love it. You have such must-haves as new products and best sellers blocks on a home page as well as you have a blog that is a good promotion tool. I think that you do everything right, just be patient.
    i completely disagree with this, if your website is up and running and finished then you should still be able to get a good conversion rate, ok so a few of your friends may check out the website with no intentions of buying with something new, but apart from that minute factor there is still customers coming looking for furniture.

They dont know whether your site has been up 3 days or 3 years, what they are interested in is the furniture and/or service that is on offer.

Yes with time your site will get more traffic, but why would this alter the conversion rate? after all if in your first week you convert 2/100 visitors and then in your 50th week you convert 20/1000, its still a 2% conversion
  15. No Profile Picture

Hi, thanks for all the feedback, quick update;

The site is now gettin between 100-300 visits a day and conversion is strong - 2-5 %, this is largely due to improvements to the site I made since posting this thread, largely bold sting selling signals, so I can now confirm - price point is not actually a big contributing factor in conversion as long as your offering is strong
  17. No Profile Picture

I managed to improve my conversions rapidly with making videos, and setting them to autoplay. What most effects conversion according to my experience are the headlines and of course subheadlines.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I am not an expert in either the UK market or the high price goods market. That said I do work in e-commerce and working on conversion rates is key.

Looking at your site I would immediately do an A/B split with simpler home page. Things keep changnging all over the place, cursor placement lights up lots of stuff instead of one item, the UK may be different than the US but look at a site like REI or even ICE they sell expensive stuff, but the homepages are simple straightforward entryways, not hyperactive navigation minefields.

Fine wood furniture is considered simple, elegant, understated, and refined. Aim to make your site sing the same song. For example that bright yellow thing that tells me why you rock... It's hard to read and looks like spam. My eye went right over it.

second, put that trustpilot seal up where people can see it. It also looks like you incorporated it into a static graphic. That may be a ToS issue. Either way get the star rating up there.
    If you are norton secured or something for whatever you have in place of PCI then get that logo up too.

Third. Start looking at your analytics. If you don't have enough visitors to get meaningful data skip this. but If you have thousands to work with... look at where they are abandoning the process. Try to figure out what information you are not giving them at the right time in the right place. Especially in the checkout.

Are you not making them fell that you are trustworthy?
    Are you not making them feel the product is top notch?
    Are you priced out of the market?

Have you tried re-marketing?

Are you attracting a big group of people from one or more keywords that all have a horrific conversion rate.. in other words can you retarget your ad spend.

Personally I hate things that zoom and change on hover. And your site feels very slow but I am in the US so I don't really know.
    Maybe spend some time on ikea's site to see how they keep their pages simple (big glorious product images) little distraction, while still giving you the information you need.

I don't want to be down on your site. Just critical enough to be meaningful. Good luck.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Forgot to add. Do you track user attention to particular products and promote them on subsequent visits? I bet a lot of people surf around, then go get their significant other after going to twenty sites and say 'look at this'. It wouldn't hurt to have the items they looked at featured on the homepage.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User