1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

How would this influence the SEO?

Hello,
    I hope I can get some founded opinions to my question. My case is: I have two websites Ė Site A and Site B. Site A is an online shop. Iíd like to use RSS emission to extract the products from it and to publish it automatically in Site B. The client would not be able to purchase a product from Site B, but in the page of each there would be a link that will send the user to the specific productís page in Site A and there he/she could place an order. Iíd like to make Site B as an affiliate to Site A, just for advertise it, to reach bigger audience. Obviously, the shop sections of both sites will have the same content, but the blog sections will be different. The reason I want to do this is that I have Site Bís domain for several years and I donít want to lose it. Iíd rather use it in a way to support the first site.
    My question is how you think this will influence the SEO and the results in the search engines for both sites? Iíd like Site B to support Site A for this, but would this have that effect or it may cause negative results?
    And if you think there could be a better way to make one site support the other, please share your opinion?

Best regards,
    Stoyan
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Each product page will have the same description, images and explanations so search engines should consider it as duplicate content.

What will happen in actually is difficult to predict.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

It is hard to say for sure but it is definitely risky.

The real question is why the heck do you want to do this? One website isn't enough work to maintain?

You yourself say that for all practical purposes site B is an EXACT copy of site A.
    So why specifically do you need site B?
    Nobody is reaching a wider audience, two sites just splits any incoming linking efforts. No different market is targeted.

What is it that site B will do (detailed user behavior) that will make you more money than just having site A?

What have you considered in terms of the cost of having site B?
  7. No Profile Picture

Thanks for you opinions!

The real question is why the heck do you want to do this? One website isn't enough work to maintain?
    I already have it anyway, so I'd like to use it, but I'm looking for the best way to do this.

You yourself say that for all practical purposes site B is an EXACT copy of site A.
    Cory will be the shop section. I can make the rest of the site different in terms of content and structure.

What is it that site B will do (detailed user behavior) that will make you more money than just having site A?
    By linking to Site A, won't that make it to appear higher in the SE results?

What have you considered in terms of the cost of having site B?
    Doesn't cost me much, I do the design and SEO myself.
  9. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

If your bound to use both sites:
    Make site A your store and site B information about your store/products (not duplicate content) and use site B to links to the different products.
    But you can do this all from one site and like reality said it can be risky if you go over the cliff.
  11. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

So site B is your old domain and site A is a new domain? And you want to make both the sites exactly the same (minus the blog which will make no difference to your rankings for the duplicate product pages), now this is what will happen!

Google will pick one of your sites as the original and use that in the SERPs - that's likely to be site B as that's aged and likely to have more authority then site A already - meaning the other site will be penalised for duplicate content and not rank anywhere high in the SERPs, meaning you will not be reaching more potential buyers but in fact giving them more steps to buy because your making them visit the pointless site B before moving on to site A to make a purchase - and that's even if they bother to move on to site A!

As suggested above you're much better of simply using site B as a blog or even a review site for your products because that will remove all the duplicate product/content problems you plan on giving yourself for no reason, which will in fact have the opposite effect to what you want!

Another option would be to simply redirect site B to site A if it has authority and link juice worth passing, and then have everything on one site, but both can work just as well, it depends on your domains and the amount of time and work you have to put into two sites?

Out of interest, was site B your old store and you're moving it to site A or something?
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  13. No Profile Picture

Out of interest, was site B your old store and you're moving it to site A or something?
    Actualy, I forgot to mention that. Both sites are several years old, but Site A is older. And it gives results, I mean it sells. As for Site B, almost no orders come from it. And that is not unusual, bacause all my efforts are concentrated in maintaining Site A and it is the older one.

Something else to add to state my reasons for this plan - I read your opinion about the duplicate content and how it threatens the results, and I've read Google's recomendations as well. But I work for maybe 5 or 6 years already in selling products in this specific field in my country. And I don't think anyone is produsing unique descriptions for the products on its sites. I mean, the company, that is representative of some manufacturer(s) for our country, imports the products and uploads them for sale in its site. Then all other companies, that distribute these product, upload them in its sites too, but the content is being copied from the represevtative's site. So, it has one site that first uploads that content, and between 10 and 20 (aproximately) other sites that copy that same content from the first. And all these sites sell. Which one is selling more and which one less, I can't say. But that's how I work all these years too. Of course, I try to make my site (consider Site A) unique in some way - add something more in the descriptions, change titles by adding something or just inverting word, add more photoes if possible, etc. But that's not much of a difference. Main difference is the site's structute - I try to organise it in better way, more user friendly and easy to browse, and to add unique content in the blog. That's it. And that's why I think by making Site B in this way, maybe that could help Site A to have better ranking results.

I still would like to see more opinions, so please, share yours. ;)
  15. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by ex3mist
    Actualy, I forgot to mention that. Both sites are several years old, but Site A is older. And it gives results, I mean it sells. As for Site B, almost no orders come from it. And that is not unusual, bacause all my efforts are concentrated in maintaining Site A and it is the older one.
    Ah you made it sound as if site B was the older of the two and site A was some sort of fresh start, still what I said about is what will and is happening because google will pick the original and most authoritative site to rank above the other.

Originally Posted by ex3mist
    Something else to add to state my reasons for this plan - I read your opinion about the duplicate content and how it threatens the results, and I've read Google's recomendations as well. But I work for maybe 5 or 6 years already in selling products in this specific field in my country. And I don't think anyone is produsing unique descriptions for the products on its sites. I mean, the company, that is representative of some manufacturer(s) for our country, imports the products and uploads them for sale in its site. Then all other companies, that distribute these product, upload them in its sites too, but the content is being copied from the represevtative's site. So, it has one site that first uploads that content, and between 10 and 20 (aproximately) other sites that copy that same content from the first. And all these sites sell. Which one is selling more and which one less, I can't say. But that's how I work all these years too. Of course, I try to make my site (consider Site A) unique in some way - add something more in the descriptions, change titles by adding something or just inverting word, add more photoes if possible, etc. But that's not much of a difference. Main difference is the site's structute - I try to organise it in better way, more user friendly and easy to browse, and to add unique content in the blog. That's it. And that's why I think by making Site B in this way, maybe that could help Site A to have better ranking results.

I still would like to see more opinions, so please, share yours. ;)
    Sorry but if you was using the exact same content as all your competitors I would see that as an even bigger reason to write all your own content!

Look at it this way, if you are doing exactly the same as your competitors who are ranking above you, the best thing you can change in your tactics is to out do them by giving google a website full of unique content which is worthy of out ranking all those using the same duplicate content!

Simply adding another duplicate site to a list of 10-20 duplicate sites will do nothing but give you a bigger work load for nothing!

If you want to increase your rankings and sales you need to make your site better, not simply produce another carbon copy of all these other sites!

On a side note, break up your posts, its harder to read when someone posts such a long reply in one huge block of text lol
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Look, here is the best advice I can give you:

Cost of having site B
    1. Duplicating even an entire section of a site makes it very risky SEO wise. At any point google could catch on and sink your ship.
    2. Any links to site B would be canalized from site A so it is likely you would actually loose link power.
    3. Even if you only maintain parts of a second site, and you do it yourself, that detracts from time spent on the main, actually selling and making money site.

Benefits of having site B
    1. You like it.

Frankly it appears you have already decided to create and maintain site B and you just want a rubber stamp that it is a good idea.
    It isn't.

You should spend your time creating unique product descriptions for your main site. If you provide 120% more product data, better product to product comparison, and clearer images than your competitors... guess where people are going to buy?
    If you spend all your time in one forum instead of split between two, guess wither you will look more responsive?

Secondary sites are almost never a good idea unless you have a second brand or clearly delineate product line and crud tons of money (big companies).
    Otherwise you end up like the LEGO site with two sites, one selling, one not, bazaar splits of information, and confused users who LOVE the product, and want to shoot the idiot who designed the site.