1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Duplicate Product Descriptions

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the ecom game and im developing a new ecommerce retail rug store. I'm running into an issue with duplicate descriptions.

So lets say I have 8 products at 30 different sizes. I'm not sure whether to do 30 separate products or have a sizing option for each of the products with the option to "choose a size"

My issue is then the consumer cannot search by rug size. What do you guys think?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

You may be able to do both.
    Check into what software is available off the shelf. This is something any clothing retailer would run into as well. Using a canonical tag you may be able to set the default size on a page while keeping one page per product and letting people search by size.
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Site Building

Originally Posted by realityhack
    You may be able to do both.
    Check into what software is available off the shelf. This is something any clothing retailer would run into as well. Using a canonical tag you may be able to set the default size on a page while keeping one page per product and letting people search by size.
    I agree. You want a user friendly site, and if you look at other retail sites, sizes are listed under just 1 listing and not separately.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

The key here is that users should be able to search by size, say from the front page ... "show me all the rugs you have which are 3' x 3'" type of thing or even between size X and size Y or by square footage.

The best approach is to organise your shop so that each rug is one product where the user selects the size on the product page.

Then it's a matter of programming a query into the shopping cart that can do the search properly because the info is all there in the database.
    Learn SEO and Online Marketing with Doodleddoes or follow me on Google+ at https://plus.google.com/+TimHillDoodled/