1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Dublicate contect 2 websites

Hey guys I posted in the google thread but I think that was the wrong spot. Sorry new to the forum.. Needless to say here is what I was asking.

I am the owner of a company that has a website that is actually 2 companies with different URLs. One is .com and the other is co.uk, but the company has the same name. On both of the websites there is duplicate content. We have a US company and UK company. Basically I have to have 2 shopping carts so there is no way around it due to them being separate companies but selling the same products (for the most part). To make matters worse there are a lot of links back and forth between the 2 websites because we have a TON of educational content.

With that said I have been told that having duplicate content is not good. Is this true? If so how do other companies deal with this?
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Yes, duplicate content can be an issue because Google could suspect the .co.uk website is trying to rip off the .com website or vice versa.

This said I suspect because both websites have links to each other that should negate the situation. I say "should" because not all search engines will take that into account.

How do other companies handle it?
    1) merge it into one shop and let the accountant apportion costs to each separate company, usually based on the revenue.
    2) Rewrite the product descriptions ensuring the .co.uk site is in UK English and the .com is in US English - e.g. color and colour.
    Learn SEO and Online Marketing with Doodleddoes or follow me on Google+ at https://plus.google.com/+TimHillDoodled/
  5. No Profile Picture

Thank you for your reply...
    We really can not combined the 2 sites but we will link back to the .com site on all the articles. I guess that would be the best work around?
  7. Contributing User

If you have the same articles on both sites then linking back to the original - .co.uk or .com - is good practice.

But if your product descriptions are duplicated and they make up the majority of your sites then there may be issues. Consider Google's thinking:
    "There two sites are pretty much the same so do I really need to keep both of them in my index?"
    If at some point it concludes no then one site could disappear from the rankings altogether in one of Google's endless updates.

Now that might sound worrying but Google has a back stop because it asks:
    "Do internet users like both of these sites?"

If the answer is yes then Google has to conclude:
    "Looks like duplication to me but internet users say otherwise so I'll keep them both".

To ensure Google comes to that conclusion have Google Analytics active on both your sites and have it set up to monitor your eCommerce.

That's Google. The other search engines have much less user behaviour data to play with so there you are on thinner ice ...
  9. No Profile Picture

I need to do more research. If you think about it there are a lot of eCommerce sites that sell the same product and have the same copy. That is pretty much how we are but only 2 (plus a few dealers).
    Thanks for all of your help.
  11. Contributing User

Originally Posted by myfipie
    If you think about it there are a lot of eCommerce sites that sell the same product and have the same copy..
    ... and there isn't a day that goes by where the owner of one of these stores pops up somewhere on this forum asking why they have just been de-indexed by Google.

The pace at which Google is shaking duplicate content out of the web has gone from a crawl to a trot in less than a year. I've no doubt they will be galloping soon.

I manage a number of eCommerce sites - some are duplicates but if you ask yourself 'Why are they duplicates' that will help you differentiate the product descriptions. Some of mine are aimed at Premium end clients, others at bargain basement hunters so the wording has to be different.

I'm not sure what you sell but the US and UK markets are different for most products so it may be worth re-writing the descriptions, not just to please the search engines but to increase sales to your target audiences ...
  13. No Profile Picture

We actually manufacture products and both are the same in the us and the UK, for the most part. The websites now are duplicate and we actually rank ok, but now we are doing a new wordpress site so trying to figure out how to do it better.
    I will look into changing the copy (for the same product) between the sites as much as possible.