1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Creating an online store ?

I put up a website a few months ago and did pretty well in my seo and the site is starting to do well etc but after 6 months Im bored and want to try something else.
    I want to put up an online store and link it to my other site so maybe I can get a few bucks out of it. I have a few questions.

Where do people get merchandise for these type stores ?

How do people get merchandise for these type stores ? Sale a little of everything.

Do you think it is best to create a website through places like weebly or godaddy or to try and buy and already exsiting site ? Have a shoestring budget though. Not looking for millions more looking for something to keep me busy.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by dogma7
    Where do people get merchandise for these type stores ?
    How do people get merchandise for these type stores ?
    Do you think it is best to create a website through places like weebly or godaddy or to try and buy and already exsiting site ? Have a shoestring budget though. Not looking for millions more looking for something to keep me busy.
    I am not sure what you mean by most of these questions. Are you looking for stock to sell? All of the questions you ask depend on your situation, what are you trying to do, do you have any experience with websites or marketing or building a new business?
  5. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

It really depends on what market you are in, and how you are planning on selling products.
  7. No Profile Picture

hi
    friend
    i devolped my buisness
    using online shopping cart service which is provided by thie site
    tucktail.com
    this helped me a lot.
  9. No Profile Picture

I'm pretty sure you should have all of that planned out well in advance of launch.

Take a look and analyze your traffic as a starting point. What type of visitors are coming to your website?
  11. No Profile Picture

If you don't have stock of your own, there are companies that will let you sell their products in your store. Google "dropshipping".

Comments on this post

• jsteele823 agrees : Nice username :)
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I you are not really a retailer then drop shipping is the simplest what to get into selling.

You set up the store with the product images description etc and then when you get an order you pass the order onto the suppling company to deliver the product, you pay them per order and hat that.

But you will have to be able to take payments on your site and deal with any return or complaints.

So you have all the usuall stuff with being an on line retailer but that of having the product physical in your possession.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Consider the affiliate market.
    Enter in a big program: linkshare, cj, etc. Join the programs you want.
    What you just did: gave yourself the possibility to sell everything.
    Now what you just have to do is organize somehow the information.

Take a look here http://www.coupodon.com/ - this is a coupon site. Still I think it sums up what you want. There are different store selling different stuff.
    For example kmart is there: but kmart sells everything.

Hope this will help you.
  17. No Profile Picture

Due to E-marketing an online shop has been made .This online shop are in the form of website.Just as the retaiker makes it shop clean and clear ,the website should also become clear.The website should be so attractive,all the collective information or point wise information.It shoul be so nice that the visitor once visit should not go to other site.
  19. No Profile Picture

Well, yes, the look is very important. But the content is also a major part of your success.
    Last edited by aheadWorks; Jul 4th, 2011 at 11:19 AM.
  21. No Profile Picture

its great to open online store

<snip>
    Last edited by ClickyB; Nov 8th, 2011 at 04:30 PM. Reason: removed sig spam
  23. No Profile Picture

Dont go for online store as it requires more bucks to spent on security(from hackers) and for safe transactions, you will need more resources
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

If you just want to play around a little than it doesn't really matter what you do. You can do a drop ship only business, or sell cement cuddlies (fill a teady bear with quick-crete).

If you want to actually do this as a serious source of income. Maybe even becoming your main source of income then you need to sit down and write a business plan. In the US many community colleges have night courses specifically aimed at people thinking of starting a business. They cover issues from margin to liability insurance.

If you are starting a store as a serious business I would pick something that is a passion for you. Something you already know a lot about or want to learn a lot about. If you fly stunt kites, look into selling those. If you have never held one, I recommend against it. The questions you will get from potential customers will baffle you and you won't be as good an advocate for your own products.

Once you have a plan I would start mapping out what you want the site to be capable of. What your front and back end minimum requirements, and wish list are. Then look at what will fill those needs the best for the least investment (including time).