1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Site structure impact on sales?

Hello,

I work at an e-commerce company which sells replacement parts, we carry thousands of products which fall into several categories & subcategories and at the same time, fit different brand, model and version items.

Currently the only way for an user to find any part he needs is to provide the brand, model and version of the item he has using a set of select boxes, after that it would be taken to a page with the list of all the categories and then after clicking one of the categories, see a list of all the parts that match what he was looking for.

There is no other way to navigate the site, there is no link to the categories or subcategories on the home page.

Would this have any impact on the purchase decision of the users?

Would the current navigation flow (via select boxes) give the users a "weird" experience and reduce the change that they place an order?

I will appreciate your thoughts.

Kind regards,
    Otto
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Can you link to the site so we can see what you're referring to?

My guess is that it can have an impact on traffic - this kind of navigation as opposed to text links is subpar for search engines.

As to impact on CRO, it sounds like your process is repetitive. They tell you what brand, model and version, then they need to click through categories? Shouldn't you be able to show them the exact product with that information? If you're wasting people's time, yes, that will reduce conversions. There's only a finite amount of patience.
  5. Contributing User

Have you ever heard about that a good design for me may not be for 10 000 new clients, even though was good for my existent 1000 clients? To test that is very simple to get an answer. The well known method with a top 5 competitors that sell same thing is the way to find out if your site converts well enough or not. Don't go to your data because 70-80% of them will probably tell you that your site looks good and they are pleased about it. Get this random questions on new clients to see either your website is decrepit.

Linkbuildingoffice.com - Houston Local SEO Agency and Inbound Marketing Services
    Follow Linkbuildingoffice on Twitter - @Lbuildingoffice
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I would test each layout for conversion rates.