1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Getting visitors and decent serps - but conversions and bounce rates are terrible

OK I am going to lay it out flat - www(dot)cheapcentralheating(dot)co(dot)uk - this is the website I am having issues with. Historically its a website that I took over from some one else (I know now that's not always a good plan) - and was asked to clean up the spammy links, increase the traffic and get more customers. I managed to do 2 out of the 3 but I am really struggling with conversions (people ringing the phone number in this case) and the bounce rate is averaging around 75 - 80%.

ANY and ALL advice gratefully received, don't spare my feelings if you have an idea or a criticism that helps - my skin is way to thick to take things personally and I really need some help with this.

Thanks for any help in advance.
    Last edited by jamespayne; Mar 24th, 2014 at 01:08 PM.
  3. Founder, SEOChat.com :)
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Sorry but that page looks terrible.

You need to clean it up and organize it. I'm thinking less text content (yes, less text content), and more "elegant" calls to action... Huge phone number in the header is horrendous!

If you are going to do long pages, they need to be broken up into horizontal segments of page-scrolls.
  5. No Profile Picture

If you get time could you take a look again for me, see if this is heading in the right direction ?

Appreciate your time
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Have you compared your site to your competitors' sites? Spend some serious time on their sites to see what they might be including that you're not. Or perhaps you are giving too much information with pricing etc. If they see your prices online (instead of calling you) and then call the competitor and find they have a lower price you might be losing people.
    Which leads to the question are your prices competitive with others in your local area?
  9. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by lemonpromotions
    OK I am going to lay it out flat Leeds Cheap Central Heating and Boiler Services - this is the website I am having issues with. Historically its a website that I took over from some one else (I know now that's not always a good plan) - and was asked to clean up the spammy links, increase the traffic and get more customers. I managed to do 2 out of the 3 but I am really struggling with conversions (people ringing the phone number in this case) and the bounce rate is averaging around 75 - 80%.

ANY and ALL advice gratefully received, don't spare my feelings if you have an idea or a criticism that helps - my skin is way to thick to take things personally and I really need some help with this.

Thanks for any help in advance.
    Learn to use Google Site Optimizer so you can compare different ways of using the same information.

Conversion Optimization is so much more about thought process than anything else.

People may type "CHEAP" into Google as a describer for a query but honesty they don't like working with (seeing) AL CHEAPO Service Providers. It's best to avoid using Cheap "ON PAGE" and use Affordable PLUS use backlinks on other domains to drive the CHEAP value to your page.

People don't get enticed all that much by FREE Quote but INSTANT Quote gets 770% more of precisely the same thing.

People don't like scrolling and they also don't like pagination all that much either. The middle ground (with the help of results) get "ONE thought on a page and sell that ONLY on that page".

Comments on this post

• lemonpromotions agrees : Thanks for taking the time to reply,...
    • GabrielG agrees
    Last edited by fathom; Apr 11th, 2013 at 04:34 PM.
  11. No Profile Picture

Thank you all for taking the time to reply....will be putting everything I have read into practice and seeing what I can do to improve things.
  13. No Profile Picture

Could someone please delete this for me - or remove the URL from the initial post for me please.
  15. SEO Since 97

lol. you made a link with cheap in it. When a mod stumbles by I'm sure it'll be taken care of.
  17. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by lemonpromotions
    cheapcentralheating.co.uk
    That is likely a huge problem if you ask me.

Are you affordable or does the reference suggest you do crappy work?

People probably don't want to find out.
  19. No Profile Picture

This webpage really shows desperation to get the enquiries by phone numbers, phone numbers are repeated, the repetition of anything doesn't look good. The page looks messy, you should make page cleaner. As some people mentioned here "follow your competitors", it can give you better planning. Check your backlinks, are they coming from irrelevant pages to your products or services, it really makes your bounce rate higher, also there are no chances of enquiries.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I would start with a deeper analysis of your site. Maybe consider some of these questions: Is your bounce rate high on the home page, or a product page? What keywords are you ranking for? Do those keywords have seem to have the correct user intent? Does your site look spammy or trustworthly? How long does it take you to complete the conversion process? Are there clear calls to actions on the homepage? . . .
    I would use whatever tools that you have available to see where the misses are. Maybe think about installing Clicktake to your site to see what users are doing when they are on it.