1. Join Date
    Sep 2012

Question Conversion rate on my site okay but could be better, any tips?

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone had any tips on conversion optimisation on my website, I am about to start A/B split testing but besides this is my site missing anything obviously that I am not seeing?

The site in question is on my profile under homepage link. (didn't want to link it here and look like a link promotion spaz).

My conversion rate is about 1% at the moment. My SERP positions for the terms and traffic I am getting is steadily increasing and now I need to polish my work and get that nice shiny finish my potential clients like so they will fill in forms etc so I can get some warm leads from it.

I have also thought about having customer feedback when a customer switches tabs from my site to another and comes back to close my site a box pops up with something like "what did we do wrong?" or something.

What do you guys think?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I dont see your site sorry

Oh and please do not use the words what did we do wrong...that sounds bad. Pop boxes, hmmm, I am not a big fan of it. But that's ok. I am fervent online dweller. For a customer who is new to the online shopping scenario (presuming yours is an e-commerce site) may love to give feedback. Just make sure to give the exit option clearly on that box. People can get frustrated while trying to find that 'X' or 'Close' sign in the pop ups. You really do not need a compromised user-experience just when you thought you were fetching the feedback for an enhanced user-experience.

I have many links on my company blog for usability and conversions which I am tempted to share with you, but I won't. Fear of getting banned.

Post your url here with (dot) (at) elements so that it doesnt post as an URL and that I can take a look at your site.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Hi James. The homepage link took me to essexseos dot co dot uk, so the observation is about that.

The first thing I saw was way too many green buttons, 6 total: "Request a Quote"/"Free Site Audit"/"Call me Back"/"Contact Us"/"View More"/and "Submit". Whew! it's a bit much.

Consider focusing on just ONE prominent "call to action" button. (that's a common CRO tactic)

Hope this helps,

Comments on this post

• GabrielG agrees
  7. No Profile Picture

I know this is not the sort of answer you're going to be expecting but go through your site with your Grandma or an elderly relative, see how they use the site and if they find it easy. Note down any stumbling blocks. Sometimes we spend so long looking at our own sites we see no faults.....
  9. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I use a free service at heatmap.ca that captures click data on my landing page. Install their script and in a few days you should be able to generate a Heat Map report to see what is being clicked or not. Make changes to you site based on that report. You can also playback visitor sessions to see how they interact with your page. Then try some A/B testing to see if you can bump up your conversion rate. Hope that helps.