1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Wordpress SEO - is it possible?

I have a free wordpress site duttadaynightfever.wordpress.com that is semi organised but definitely not SEO'd. Before I attempt a major rehaul to improve it, I was wondering if anyone can tell me whether a free wordpress site can actually be SEO'd. I am relatively inexperienced in web content SEO so apologies for any incorrect use of terminology - I hope you get the gist of what I am asking! Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments on this post

• jackaustin agrees : yeah..! rather you can also do off-page submission of your wordpress url.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You know what i would not use a free website as they r not easily good to work with SEO. i had a few ones before but then you always change your website and have to redo everything again, i would advise on getting your domain because that way if you work on your free one for 6 months and nothing happens it will affect, as if you have your own domain, it helps with submitting to google etc, as they request the domain name and im not sure if you can do it with the wordpress extension at the end unless they have a plugin, but i wouldnt use it personally
  5. No Profile Picture
    Banned

No, You can do SEO for a free website.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I would consider purchasing a domain name and paying for hosting. Website age is a part of the ranking algorithms, so if anything were to happen like Wordpress shutting down their free sites, you're S.O.L. You can get great hosting rates at web hosting hub, and domain names are pretty cheap.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Free wordpress does not have much features for SEO as hosted wordpress do. But this doesnt mean that free one is not useful at all. As we know, Google doesn't care much about meta keywords any more. Therefore, while posting new contents on free wordpress, it would be better that the content and its title is well optimized for your desired keywords.
  11. Contributing User

Ya, you can do SEO for free WordPress site. Currently, I have two free wordpress site and I am also getting visitors from that sites, but the different is that domain can be able to attract more visitors rather than free sites.
  13. Addicted to SEO

I would definietely advise you to buy your own and then use WordPress if you can't afford a dedicated CMS. The plugins I usually use for SEO are:
    - All In One SEO Pack
    -
    Google XML Sitemaps
    -
    Robots Meta
    -
    WP No Category Base
  15. Philip@SearchBenefit.com
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

This is oldish thread and I will now close it, but not before posting this highly relevant resource: Matt Cutts discussing SEO for Wordpress!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P-m2cBCJSk
    (40 + mins!)