1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Where to position keywords in your content

Hi guys!

For a while now I've been reading around the web about the use of keywords in site content. I'm fairly good at selecting keywords - mostly targeting those that are higher volume but lower competition to pull in traffic via blog posts and then hopefully get visitors to click through to our home page to check out our paid services.

My doubt is regarding where to put the keywords and how often to include them. In a typical SEO blog post I tend to follow this rough model:

* 1 post = 1 main keyword phrase (no 2 pages should compete for the same term)
    * Include a couple of variations of the main keyword phrase (i.e. different word order, semantically related terms)
    * Try to get the main keyword into these positions:
    - URL / title
    - Early in paragraph one (preferably as a link to another of my pages on a similar topic)
    - In a subheading (preferably H1 or H2)
    - About 4 more times in the body of text of a 1-page post (MS Word)
    - Omit the keyword phrase where it sounds unnatural/forced
    - Add keyword in snippet via WP SEO pluggin and write something punchy to draw interest from searchers on Google

My question is: Does the above sound right to you? I know that keywords send a valuable signal to Google and let the search engine know what the page is about...but doesn it needs to be this structured? I also read that penning longer posts about certain topics might be more beneficial than my usual length (about 1 page). Others say Google ignores the "bit in the middle" and that you should use more keywords at the beginning and end of your posts. Lots of info out there but no magic formula!

Cheers,

Alex

Comments on this post

• fathom agrees : Are searchers asking a question or just searching a phase... is the greatest issue you face.
  3. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Having the phrase in your title element will have the greatest impact. Everything else best to focus on phrase variants like using odd spellings or words when using primary phrase as a noun, verb, adverb, or adjective.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by fathom
    Having the phrase in your title element will have the greatest impact. Everything else best to focus on phrase variants like using odd spellings or words when using primary phrase as a noun, verb, adverb, or adjective.
    Odd spellings and intentional typos are probably not going to cut it for my site as we sell English lessons online. Not great if linguists are using "practice" when they should be using "practise", etc.. I get your point about variations on the KW by including different parts of speech, alternative word order, etc. What I'm doing now is probably a bit too structured/predictable. Google is cleverer than I am giving it credit for in terms of its understanding of language and the intent behind user searches. The other issue that I face is that our target audience is made up 100% of non-native English speakers...meaning that what they are typing into Google is often wrong or non-standard in terms of word order, spelling and choice. Penning stuff about "English language speaking courses online" is not my favourite job.))
  7. No Profile Picture

Primary keywords should be included in the title, the metatag description, the first paragraph and at a 3 to 5 percent density throughout the entirety of the blog post or article.Don’t put keywords solely in the headers of your paragraphs as this can interfere with their use as anchor text for hyperlinks. However, using keywords in bulleted lists can sometimes draw added attention to the text and increase click-through rates for your clients.
  9. Contributing User

Originally Posted by otuk
    Hi guys!

For a while now I've been reading around the web about the use of keywords in site content. I'm fairly good at selecting keywords - mostly targeting those that are higher volume but lower competition to pull in traffic via blog posts and then hopefully get visitors to click through to our home page to check out our paid services.

My doubt is regarding where to put the keywords and how often to include them. In a typical SEO blog post I tend to follow this rough model:

* 1 post = 1 main keyword phrase (no 2 pages should compete for the same term)
    * Include a couple of variations of the main keyword phrase (i.e. different word order, semantically related terms)
    * Try to get the main keyword into these positions:
    - URL / title
    - Early in paragraph one (preferably as a link to another of my pages on a similar topic)
    - In a subheading (preferably H1 or H2)
    - About 4 more times in the body of text of a 1-page post (MS Word)
    - Omit the keyword phrase where it sounds unnatural/forced
    - Add keyword in snippet via WP SEO pluggin and write something punchy to draw interest from searchers on Google

My question is: Does the above sound right to you? I know that keywords send a valuable signal to Google and let the search engine know what the page is about...but doesn it needs to be this structured? I also read that penning longer posts about certain topics might be more beneficial than my usual length (about 1 page). Others say Google ignores the "bit in the middle" and that you should use more keywords at the beginning and end of your posts. Lots of info out there but no magic formula!

Cheers,

Alex
    You are on the right track. I really like that you didn`t get stuck on the myth of the fixed keywords density like some "gurus" suggest. It really is more important to have quality than quantity.
    Apart from the places you suggested I also recommend placing your keywords in the meta description. It won`t do too much for SEO but it`s good to have them there.
    It is better to have longer articles because as fathom said, it`s recommended to use phrase variants and with these longer articles you will have room to target them.
    HCF - Where Every Affiliate is Happy, Calm & Focused