1. No Profile Picture

Unique content Vs Original Content

Hello Everyone!!

I really would like to understand the difference between Unique content and Original Content.

If I post regularly on my Blog(webhealthjournal) with Unique content (Pass through Copyscape Premium) then Will it help me to rank better in Google?

For e.g. Information about Yoga Poses may not have different core information. Most of the time, the information is presented in Different ways or according to the targeted keywords.

I do understand that with original content, there are lot of chances of getting higher rank in Google but this is very costly and very difficult too.

I really appreciate for any help or suggestions.

Look forward to valuable suggestions/tips.

Many Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by dzine; Nov 4th, 2015 at 03:52 AM. Reason: de-URL and approve
  3. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Hey there,

Interesting question!

I think I see what you're saying. By unique content you mean content that is not scraped or an exact duplicate of other content. By original content you mean something that has not been written about before.

I think that all content should at least be unique. And you should try to write it in an original way. When you write content, ask yourself "What makes my content better than all the content like it?" or "Why should someone read my article instead of the dozens of other ones on the same subject?"

You're right that there are a lot of yoga articles, for example, that come back to the same basic ideas. But I bet that the most successful of those offer something truly original - if not in subject matter, then in the method of telling. Yoga is a very broad topic. There are lots of different ways to approach it, even if all of them are about yoga in the end.

There's a similar debate that pops up among fiction writers. A really good story doesn't have to be free of outside inspiration - but it must be told in an original way. There are lots of fantasy novels about dragons. What makes The Hobbit so good? There are lots of stories with time machines, and in them the time machines generally work the same way. What makes The Time Traveler's Wife so good? There are lots of great stories that use common themes, tropes, and subjects, but they're awesome because they also offer at least something original. Not 100%, ripped from another dimension original...just something new, as simple as a few twists, and some genuine passion or inspiration.

Also, I think I'll move this thread to our "Content Writing/Marketing" section. As a new member, our forum sometimes glitches out when threads get moved. So you might have trouble posting in it. If you do, just PM me or send an email to markr@imninjas.com and I can fix it.

Comments on this post

• otang agrees
  5. My views are my own ;)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I tend to link to this article on how original content is more than "unique" or never published before: The Original Guest Post: More than "Unpublished" - Search Engine Journal

I think it puts it very well...
    Everything will be ok in the end

If it's not ok, it's not the end
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Distinguish of original and unique content..

A very sophisticated question that really need a right-guided answer.
    Even while I write a content, article or blog- I prefer to write unique content in my reading way.

Honestly.. unique content comes on page when you have some exceptional unique features or points to highlight. if you are referring others blog, uniqueness comes when you pen down which others haven't wrote yet about the same topic where all bloggers discussing.

Original content comes in place, where you are not copying from any source and you write down your own way and perceptions about a topic (which is usually discussed by other bloggers.)

For eg: If this kinda suggestion is given by many...then my write up will be a original content as now I haven't referred any sites rather shared my perception.
    But if you don't find this suggestion anywhere else.. Then BINGO !! I grab the unique attention!!

Hope i placed my niche rightly.. and helped you too..
  9. No Profile Picture

In that regards, If I develop my own style of presenting information and keep posting daily then it will add a lot of information (Not original though) in my blog. Will that count something?

Is it really worth to wait for a long time? Because at the end, If I don't develop relevant backlinks then I won't get the Search Engine Ranking.

Alternatively, If I have lot of information and I create Social Media presence with those information then Do you think that is worth more than Search Engine Ranking?

Appreciate the views from Senior Members.

Many Thanks in advance.
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by hdpatel
    Alternatively, If I have lot of information and I create Social Media presence with those information then Do you think that is worth more than Search Engine Ranking?
    (Un)fortunately its rarely possible to do one without the other. If you produce content that people like they are just as likely to share it on Social Media as they are to link to it.As a content producer you don't get to pick and chose.

Also remember that content which already exists can be reproduced in an original/unique way and become more popular than the original. Infographics are a good example - most of the time they are not saying anything new.

So to me the argument of Unique vs Original is pretty blurred. Both can be extremely popular as can copied but originally presented content.
  13. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

This 2012 Matt Cutts interview helps to split the hairs https://www..com/matt-cutts-and-eric...-quality-site/

Unique content DOES NOT need to add anything new to the discussion, original content sounds like a new discussion.

Spinning software creates unique language patterns but cannot start the discussion. This is your problem.
  15. No Profile Picture

As per my view, Original content is something you wrote without exactly copying others content.
    Unique content is type of Original content which talks about something unique information like- May be some content of research you did/Some case study/Some how to guide like that.

Example:
    Consider Google released a new algorithm update . You can see everyone writes about the same in all blogs. It may be Original content of their own. But theme and subject is similar. So its OK for search engines; but As a User you will not get any patience to read it.

Unique content is something Original content someone writes about How Google's new algorithm impact Websites and How to recover If your website impacted from that etc. I think now you can understand the difference i guess.
  17. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by sathyashankara
    Example:
    Consider Google released a new algorithm update . You can see everyone writes about the same in all blogs. It may be Original content of their own. But theme and subject is similar. So its OK for search engines; but As a User you will not get any patience to read it.

Unique content is something Original content someone writes about How Google's new algorithm impact Websites and How to recover If your website impacted from that etc. I think now you can understand the difference i guess.
    Your example is still flawed, "as in," if 52 talking head each talk about "PENGUIN 4.0, the date it launched, its abilit to detect UNNATURAL LINKS, the historical impact of PENGUIN 1.0, 2.0 & 3.0, what's new with PENGUIN 4.0, a unique case study, and a unique conclusion.... These are all spun from each other.

They all might be high quality but unless one breaks free and discusses something different the other 51 never brought to the table they are all inferior.
  19. No Profile Picture

Getting ideas from the write ups of other people is ok but try to write it in your style even if it is somewhat less formal . That will make your articles unique as well as original.
  21. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by Akanshadixit
    Getting ideas from the write ups of other people is ok but try to write it in your style even if it is somewhat less formal . That will make your articles unique as well as original.
    Not really true... If you never add something different to the body of work, it is neither unique nor original. Matt Cutts talked about that nearly 4 years ago.

https://www.stonetemple.com/matt-cut...-quality-site/