1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

How long should it be to write a good quality 500-word article?

How much time should it ideally take to write an original and (at least) a good quality 500-word article?

Iím a newbie in writing, I understand that Newbies would obviously require more time than established writers. But I would like to know if an average/common time frame can be considered for everyone. For me, it takes something in the range of 30 to 45 minutes depending on the subject.
    I hope that's not too long.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It depends on subject and knowledge and experience. But generally it takes 1 hour to complete for me as I do not have too much experience in content writing.
  5. Administrator
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I know an experienced editor that can easily write great 500-word pieces in 20-minutes. It's his job, and he's good at it. However, it's the research that takes the time, and it's impossible to put a time into that.
    It's not really the time that's the key, it's the quality of the article that counts most, imho.

Comments on this post

• Test-ok agrees
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

This is like asking how long is a piece of string.

What is the subject? How much do you already know about the subject? How much research do you have to do? How much research is already done that you can link to and re-use?

As the above poster said, i can write a 500 word news story in 20 minutes, with my editorial experience, but someone with a solid grasp of english and understanding of journalism could take 1 hour.

Ideally i would aim for writers who can produce 800 words per hour - but the longer the content, the time taken COULD increase exponentially depending on the topic and type of article.
  9. No Profile Picture

Agreed. The writing of the article itself will only take about 30 minutes, more or less. It's the research that's needed to be done that usually takes time. If you're very familiar with the subject you're writing on, however, it won't be much of an issue. 30-45 mins is reasonable, you're doing good.
  11. No Profile Picture

It totally depends on your research that how much time it takes you to collect the relevant information about the particular subject, your knowledge, writing style or paragraph formation. You can be able to write the article within 3-4 hours, the well-written article needs a lot of research and effort.
  13. No Profile Picture

I think it depends on what the subject you want to write and how much knowledge that you have on the said subject.
    If you have good grasp on the subject and great writing experience you can write 500 word article in less than 1 hour.
  15. No Profile Picture

I believe 1 hour is sufficient for well researched 500 words article along with editing of the article
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

i don't think y ou should be thinking about how long it takes to write an article. It will vary from article to article.