1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Blog ideas. Whether to use humour or not?

Hey, guys.

I'm about to go all out on blog posts for maybe the next 4-6 months. Probably using Facebook ads, knowing I have little chance of any getting any ROI for a very long time but it will be good for the brand. In the back of my mind, hopefully, this will yield some natural backlinks and an extra stream to the 'money' page.

My business is in the industry of driving lessons/driving tests. So writing about manoeuvres and so on is what I plan to do... Whenever I see other blogs writing about this, it's very boring. Informative, but boring. The age of my target audience would be between 17-22. Which is within my age range too.

If I was to put humour in the blogs to stand out, do you think this would be counter productive? Because the topic is reasonably serious. I'll give an example, I've been writing a blog about parallel parking, and I've written... 'parallel parking can be a bit like my ex, an absolute mind f***.' Now, 10 years ago - this would have been perceived as incredibly unprofessional. But, to me... it's different... stands out from robotic professionalism, and ultimately, the target audience aren't professionals themselves?

Thoughts?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

A bit of humor can work well AS LONG AS the important details are there, it is fine to write your content with humor. Also, you may want to add a video blog or an infographic type of content too if you want to make the content interesting and engaging to your readers.
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I have been maintaining one website where I write about driving as well. and my targeted audience is 18-65 ( All he people who actually loves to drive) . When I write about tips they need to care for I use my humor in writing and also in a picture. So they can read and also see the visible content. I prefer image because people see the image first before they proceed to read more, I keep the humor in the first section of the article and also maintain that till the end. Which actually keeps them attracted to the article. I would recommend you to use humor images also which actually drags more attention than only writing can
  7. No Profile Picture

I don't see why you wouldn't use humour in your posts, as long as it makes sense and it's tasteful. You can use funny photos, memes, some jokes, but I might stay away from swearing. That's just my opinion.

But yeah, definitely go for something different!
  9. No Profile Picture

I really enjoy reading blog posts that contain humor or a bit of sarcasm. too much boring talk and i'll go to sleep.
  11. No Profile Picture

Look at this: waitbutwhy.com/2013/11/how-to-beat-procrastination.html It's the best article about procrastination I've ever seen and it's full of humor. Humor, when used reasonably, can be a huge help in promoting your content (notice how many people shared the article above).
    Last edited by Hikin Mike; Oct 3rd, 2017 at 02:41 AM.
  13. No Profile Picture

Hey guys!
    My name is Rebecca B, a new member of this forum. I am very delighted to be part of this invaluable and exciting family.
    Permit me to say a brief introduction about myself here before contributing to the question on ground.
    I am an SEO freelance writer, blogger, affiliate marketer, and professional information product marketer. I own a blog at <removed link>.
    That is just a little intro about me.
    Now to the question: Blog ideas. Whether to use humor or not?
    You might want think this way: Readers don’t come to your site or blog to be entertained with laughs, right?
    Well, that is quite indisputably the truth – they came there for information. Because blogging is meant to be educative, informative and above all, proffer solutions to your reader’s problems. So what is the need for all the laughs? That should be thrown aside for the birds, right?
    Looking at it from another perspective, we may want to have a complete rethink. Your blog is not meant to educate or inform readers alone but also to entertain them. While humor isn’t the only way to add fun to your blog post it is definitely one of the most effective ways to make it fun.
    What to Do To Avoid Ruining Your Blog With Humor
    As you’re trying to add a little bit of humor to your blog you must never forget to strike a balance between seriousness and humor. This is important because readers tend to only scan your content and if they don’t find what is appealing to them early on your post they will most likely hit the Back button before getting to the end of the page.
    So here is what to do while trying to add humor to your blog:
    1. Don’t Make It Sound More Like Exaggeration: Everybody knows already that it is a lie and making it big will not only ruin your content but will take away the valuable time you would have had sending more useful information to your readers.
    2. Make It Relevant: It doesn’t matter a number of laughs you’re able to generate to make things fun, what really does is how you’re able to correlate that laughs to the main story of your blog and keep your readers more glued to the content. So. make ensure that every humor in your content complement it and serves a special purpose of making it more engaging to the readers.
    3.Poke Fun At Yourself: Making fun of yourself or telling your readers what a loser you’re, for example, make them see you as being realistic and helps you make things fun without offending anyone. This is the best way to easily get connected with your readers without stepping on anyone’s toes but you should never go overboard with it.
    4.Use Only Active Voice: One of the biggest mistakes most bloggers make while using humor in their blog is by using passive voice. This makes your blog less interesting and monotonous. Look at these two examples of both active and passive voices: “We made the mistake” and “The Mistake was made by us”. Going through these two examples above, the first sentence is in the active voice which is very strong, understandable and active. As for the second one, it is very tepid, boring and confusing. My advice to you is, don’t use passive voice in your blog as it makes your blog indirect and boring to the readers.
    5.Make The Unreal Like Real: This could be strange but it works a lot – making, for example, inanimate object look as if it were animate or real being make it easy for you to bring in a story to your post which could help make your post more interesting and full of suspense to your readers. Imagine telling you a story about the dream that wouldn’t die as a huge hulking beast compared to an obscure idea that someone had held onto that could only be achieved using three action bullet points.
    6.Using Someone Else Humor: If you’re a guy without a sense of humor you might face difficulty with making things fun. What then do you do? Well, very simple! Try borrowing funny quotes from funny people or learn from their blogs to make your own blog full of using humor. But don’t steal their lines or copy their post verbatim. All you need to do is when you see something in their blogs that goes well with you or makes you laugh uncontrollably take the idea and write a post around that.
    7.Be Moderate With Humor: The only reason you’re using humor in your post is to entertain your readers and grab their attention while making a point n a creative manner. There will be no gain for you if you’re getting the wrong result from this or losing your visitors. To avoid this, always use humor sparingly. Except you’re writing on a funny topic don’t turn yourself to a comedian.
    Last edited by Hikin Mike; Oct 8th, 2017 at 04:41 PM.
  15. No Profile Picture

Adding humour to a blog is a great idea however it should not deviate from the overall objective of the blog. You can also use attractive images, videos and infographic to engage readers throughout the blog.