1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Best way to title blog posts for better ranking?

Hi,
    I'm new to all this SEO stuff and I have been reading many articles to help me learn but I would like a clear answer on how to title
    blog posts to get better search results. Some articles I have read say to use your key words in the beginning of the title and to make a
    catchy and engaging title but my manager (whom I'm writing them for) says that the title should be plain and simple as possible. He
    thinks a title with just one simple keyword will help the blog rank higher on Google. Please let me know your thoughts on this, I would appreciate any helpful tips!

Thank you
  3. Administrator
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Hm! Well, speaking as an internet citizen, the articles that I click on and engage with are the ones with catchy/exciting titles. Sites like Buzzfeed and UpWorthy get lots of engagement on their blog posts and articles because, in part, their titles are the kinds of things that people really want to click on to learn more. They're mysterious sometimes - alluring, maybe - and they fire off a spark that begs to be fed in your mind. Think of a fencer or a veil dancer - you want to show just enough to get people to pay attention, but not so much that you give everything away in the first blush.

I don't know how wise it is to imitate the big players to a T, though - they know their style so well that it's like, why compete with that? So a blog's titles need to have a cohesive voice, too. If you were to post on reddit, "Give me your best impression of an UpWorthy title," you'd see that they all fit certain criteria. Same for Buzzfeed, and they'd be subtly different than UpWorthy's formula.

But that's in response to your "catchy and engaging" angle. Maybe you've read as much in your articles, but I hope that's somewhat helpful. I'm not as comfortable commenting on how to best use keywords - maybe someone else with a little more expertise than me can help you there! One question I would ask is, how does your boss define "plain and simple as possible?" Does that mean few keywords, or does that mean few words in general (i.e. direct, not flowery, bland)?
  5. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Honestly you need both.

Catchy or Exciting titles won't produce ranks on their own merits so even if you acquire links to them your new natural links will only provide link juice and will only rank the page for your Catchy or Exciting titles in Google and be of no help to any generic phrases that people type in.

So you need to "paid link" these page to other pages that rank for the generic phrases. Since these "paid links" are within your own website the "paid link" part (anchor text) is just a navigational link.

That's a multi-million dollar free post right there.

Comments on this post

• markroberts agrees
  7. SEO Since 97

I'd have your titles ask questions.
    i.e.
    Your site is selling Auto parts
    Blog title: What spark plugs do I need for my 95 Mustang

Comments on this post

• markroberts agrees
  9. No Profile Picture

a clever use of keywords will get readers reading and se's linking.

you can have keywords, but a boring title, and that may stop someone from reading/sharing.

or you can have an entertaining title that gets everyones attention and in return ends up getting shared socially a lot more, which i'm sure will only help your ranks.

no matter what your title is, you could always have something extremely accurate in the description to make up for it.

Comments on this post

• thomcraver agrees
  11. No Profile Picture

A headline of a blog always most attractive element for people. Search Engine block in only one condition, if your content not follow the Google guidelines. Many Headline Analyzer tool available on search engine, that gives you concise result to pick any relevant title for your post like Buzzsumo. It is a headline analyzer tool, that gives you a better selection in headlines.
  13. Contributing User

If you can tie your content to a trending news topic, you can title it based on what everyone is looking for and clicking on at the moment. I've done this a few times for a few relevant news stories and I still get people looking for that content years later.
  15. Contributing User

I can give some cool tools to choose your best article title:
    Tweak Your Biz Title Generator by Liam Delahunty & Anita Campbell
    Content Idea Generator - Portent
    HubSpot's Blog Topic Generator
    Great sources of clickbait titles

Comments on this post

• ThomasHarvey agrees : Thank you so much!
    Last edited by sylwestrus; Jul 9th, 2015 at 07:54 AM.
  17. rod@missionop.com

A list (title) is huge for clickbait.
    Top 5 Mistakes DIYSEOs Make!

7 of the Most Profitable Reasons to Blog!

11 Ways to Earn $5 for Every Dollar Spent!
  19. No Profile Picture

Key words are important in title, but if you have so engaging title then just go with it because there are enough space available for you on your webpage to put your key words in.
  21. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by sylwestrus
    I can give some cool tools to choose your best article title:
    Tweak Your Biz Title Generator by Liam Delahunty & Anita Campbell
    Content Idea Generator - Portent
    HubSpot's Blog Topic Generator
    Great sources of clickbait titles
    That's a great list, spent ages just pressing it looking for interesting titles. Wasted a whole 5 minutes on this. Will come in handy in the future. Thank you!
    Always happy to help in private message. | Learn about my latest project Can You Get Automated Pages To Rank In Google?
    Useful Links: Useful SEO Tools | GTmetrix | FileOptimizer | Cloudflare
  23. No Profile Picture
    Master

I honestly think that catchy titles are better. I would rather read an article with a catchy title. If it has a boring title, then I often skip over it.
  25. No Profile Picture

A combination of having a strong call-to-action title and high volume search keyword would really help a lot.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Master

I forgot to add that an headline that is catchy help your ranking when it includes one of your target keywords.
    However, it does not mean you have to add keywords everywhere in the title. As you said that you are new to SEO, you can search more about LSI. It is a technique used by Google to rank website for a keyword even if you use synonym or related keywords. Catchy keywords will increase your CTR. So, headline is just the start.
  29. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by JonnyP
    I honestly think that catchy titles are better. I would rather read an article with a catchy title. If it has a boring title, then I often skip over it.
    That's great but ONLY readers don't help produce better results... They actually need better results to happen before they can read.