Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

What is the impact of CMS on SEO?

Hi all.....

Using a CMS is quite helpful in website management but what about the ongoing SEO activities? What will be the impact of using CMS on SEO activities?
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Do you mean the impact on "on page" optimisation? Most CMS are now pretty Search Engine Friendly (which has not always been the case in the past) assuming you install the required modules to correctly handle URL and Title.

For WordPress, you need first to tailor the "permalinks" in order to make your URLs more sexy then you can install the All in One SEO Pack that will take care of page titles (and allow you to enter your own customized title and description for each article if you are not satisfied by what it has generated automatically).
    SEO for the dummies
    “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” — Groucho Marx.
  5. 魔鬼是我的背部
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by jiten702
    Hi all.....

Using a CMS is quite helpful in website management but what about the ongoing SEO activities? What will be the impact of using CMS on SEO activities?
    CMS can make or break your seo campaign. It can break, if it doesn't allow you to customize the title tags, meta description, URLs, anchor text etc. If it duplicates its own contents, create duplicate title tags, doesn't allow you to apply 301 and host dozens of other negative factors which act as impediments to rankings.
  7. Ghost SEO

I'd agree with the other SEOs before me that the SEO friendliness of a CMS makes a difference. Especially to the part of on-page optimization, like what Himanshu said (thanks for mentioning those).

On the other hand, a CMS is just a canvas for art. It doesn't have to get in the way of the idea you want to represent. If the niche/content of your site bears substance and makes people want to visit or link to it, then you won't be experiencing much of a problem, regardless of your CMS.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Anyway if we count that all current popular content management systems have decent onpage SEO capabilites
    there is one more possible not mentioned thing.

Site Speed

Google said that server speed and responce will affect ranking little bit and if we know that some CMS is heavy then it can impact server performance making high loads when traffic peaks. This probably is less then 0,1% but since we are picky

Comments on this post

• Skinny Vinny agrees : A small factor, but I believe it will carry more weight in the future.
    Last edited by SEO Peace; Jul 7th, 2010 at 03:25 AM.
  11. No Profile Picture
    ppcguy.net
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

It's not the CMS that ruins the SEO of the website, it's the person using it! If you're not proficient with the CMS you have, then either learn it, or higher someone who can help you.

Comments on this post

• Keiros agrees : Don't know what you poured in your tea, but I want some ;)
  13. Contributing User

Originally Posted by seogoat
    or higher someone who can help you.
    I'm already high, and would love to get "higher"
  15. No Profile Picture
    ppcguy.net
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Was on autopilot lol. What an awful error.

Even worse I just sent an email to a adwords client from a dominatrix email addy! Ugh to the manager aswell. ooppps
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

North East Ohio & Central/Western Pennsylvania
    Well, I agrees with seo peaces remark above, but it doesn't show. Perhaps because of the mod edit? Did we find a bug? lol

The cliche scenario was that of wordpress (just as example) published article suddenly catching a lot of attention from the likes of digg. If the site was running on a weak overloaded server (like most virtual hosting options), the massive surge in traffic to that weak host would essentially kill it.

Google has recently said speed is a consideration, but not to be concerned with it unless your site/server performance was abysmal. I believe that as more and more bandwidth and resources are coming available, that you run out of excuses for slow/poor performance and it will be considered more and more over time. Google (on behalf of the user) wants everything fast. With cloud and grid options available, there's really no reason to have a slow site anymore. If your pages frequently take a long time to load, google is absolutely correct to consider it in the rankings. If I click on a search result to a site and it hasn't loaded after say 10 seconds... I click the back button and look for the next result (or try to load googles cached version of the page).

To op, a page is a page is a page. Dynamic content (content generated from the likes of a cms) is slower than static content, but unless your server is overloaded we are talking about milliseconds. Not enough to be a factor. Simply analyze the page source output from your cms package, and modify the source/templates as needed. The same rules apply to cms generated pages as to any other page.
  19. No Profile Picture

Keyword optimization for CMS - typ03 websites?

I am doing SEO of a CMS - typ03 - property related website but not able to do the keyword optimization.I am working on this website for now 2 months but the keywords rankings are not showing improvements.Is it difficult to do keyword optimization for CMS websites? Also any idea about how much time does it take for optimization?Also I lost my page ranking.Any suggestions?..
  21. Agency SEO
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by yuga
    I am doing SEO of a CMS - typ03 - property related website but not able to do the keyword optimization.I am working on this website for now 2 months but the keywords rankings are not showing improvements.Is it difficult to do keyword optimization for CMS websites? Also any idea about how much time does it take for optimization?Also I lost my page ranking.Any suggestions?..
    Wow, I can't figure out this CMS after 2 months, oh and by the way I have lost all my rankings. Not trying to be a jerk or anything (it just comes naturally) but are you charging someone for this service?
  23. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Using a well designed CMS in building your sites would be really helpful for SEO purpose since they would usually come with a well structured site navigation system and also with some kinds of SEO add-ons.
  25. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by jiten702
    Hi all.....

As a web designer, I have many clients that wish to have a CMS, of course, who wouldn't? They seem to always ask about Wordpress, but my favorite, is Wolf CMS. It is lightweight, it allows custom Meta, simple to manage, install, theme, etc.

If you understand PHP Including, you can figure it out. Its great for SEO because on each page, post, etc. it has a tab for meta, but it doesn't add a lot of length to your page in coding because it simply uses including. Great CMS for SEOs, web designers, and in between.
  27. No Profile Picture

choosing the right CMS

In my opinion, one the most important thing is choosing the right CMS platform for your website... for example, when I design a web I usually prefer Wordpress, because it gives me the possibility of installation a lot of plugins, like “All in One Seo Pack”.
  29. No Profile Picture

I like Wordpress !

All website Owners & Search engine Optimizers should choose CMS with care. There are many free & Paid CMS's available on the net. Wrong choice can really hamper your SEO campaign and seo activities.

Most of the modern Content Management Systems are extremely seo friendly , specially open source ones like wordpress & Joomla. I prefer wordpress over Joomla because WordPress has a built-in option that allows you to configure the website's URL structure. Search Engine Optimizers Love WordPress because SEO plugins can easily improve the effect of website optimization overall. One of the most popular plugin that many wordpress users are using is the 'All in One SEO Pack'. No other Content Management Sytem has a plugin like 'All in One SEO Pack' for Search engine Optimization that is so easy to use and almost maintenance free.

East or West .. According to me Wordpress is the Best CMS !
    Last edited by seoemavens; Nov 16th, 2011 at 08:35 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: