1. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Migration to new CMS and re-build website, affect SEO?

I built a website 6yrs ago, with but its very dated now and would like to re-build it using a new CMS (wordpress?) and webhosting company.
    As a beginner, I'm concerned about how I will make this migration? and how this will affect my SE rankings/SEO?

Due to the old CMS+template I am using, the current coding is terrible and messy.

Despite this, its still doing the job and my site is still ranking for some KWs that are vital to my business. However I'm concerned
    that if I migrate, that somehow I could stop ranking for these KWs?

I cannot code, but use a WYSIWYG editor. I think a new site would be the chance to 'clean up' everything, but am worried about
    dropping rankings in the process

PS Domain is) Chiang Mai & North Thailand Tours - Responsible Travel around Northern Thailand
  3. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

The main thing to make sure when changing a CMS and URL structure is that you 301 redirect all of the old URLs to their appropriate new URL. This can be done by conditional rewriting if there is a logical manner to follow.

When changing web hosts, make sure you back up fully before changing, make sure the new site is uploaded to the new host, then change the DNS settings and transfer the domain.

When changing a URL structure in a large way and 301 redirecting you will drop in the rankings a bit, and this can last for several months. So if you can avoid changing URLs then that is best, but if you can't you must be aware that there will be some SERP turbulence.

The code you use, and whether you use WYSIWYG or hand code used to make a difference, but nowadays messy code isn't a big problem. Better code is always better for many reasons but as long as you are delivering the same page to the user it is usually OK. The thing to check is browser and device compatibility as this can effect usability which will then have a knock on effect on rankings.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Thanks for the advice. Would I need to put 301redirects though? I don't intend to change the domain or any of the urls ?
    I plan to go from an old 'Site studio' cms to a Wordpress site...... will this change any of my urls by default?
    (does wordpress have their own urls?)
    thanks, as you can probably tell, I'm a beginner at all this