1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Joomla updates , site loading and SEO are they myths ?

Hi I am looking to make a final decesion on whether to use a CMS or HTML based site ? Also being fairly sure I ought to go with CMS I am wondering how much truth there is with Joomla being difficult with site updates with template problems for example. Then also what's the truth about SEO with Joomla and is it all down to site loading speed being a bit slower - hence bounce rates.

I have a sneaky suspicion for a new site that I will be setting up that wordpress.org may be the way to go instead to get some seo advantage at least initially ? I have been trying to work out a number of things over the last few months before setting up a business with Garden Design , affiliate marketing combined on the same website. The new website I set up will be my own , I'm a one man business and intend getting shared hosting initially while traffic is building. It will be hostgator shared in theory.

I hope some of the extra detail will help the initial question about CMS and HTML sites. I understand to a very small degree editing is constant difficultly on HTML sites. Although things like webplus are crossed between your own editing , automation and some CMS also. Maybe poor indexing is achieved in webplus too amongst other things it cannot do. I have webplus but might not use it now.

Thanks very much.
    Last edited by Alpine; Jan 17th, 2013 at 06:21 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture

Hello Alpine,

If you are "in it for the long haul," which it sounds like you are, then i would definitely go with a CMS site, no question about it. Whether you should choose Joomla or Wordpress is really more of personal choice rather than a selection of "the best one." This question does come up a lot and you'll see varying arguments for and against both.

My recommendation on selecting one would be to write down on paper what you want your site to do when you first launch it as well as ideas you're like to incorporate in the future. Then take a look through the Joomla Extensions Directory and also the WordPress Plugins Directory to see what options each of the platforms provide you with. In terms of SEO for either platform, you'll find plenty of extensions to help with SEO (make sure to get a nice template/theme to wrap it in).

I've heard it argued that Joomla is more difficult to navigate in the backend, but to me, it's like any other piece of software and the more you use it the easier it gets.
  5. No Profile Picture

Okay thanks I guess my concerns are quite minor then with any drawbacks ?
  7. No Profile Picture

you are correct. while these "little factors" do have an effect on seo, the most important thing for good rankings (and more important, good traffic) is to write compelling articles that are for your readers (i.e. not for the search engines). As you continue to write original articles that are interesting as well as relevant to your audience, your traffic will grow. Search engines will see a continual increase in your traffic which is an indicator on your sites relevance in your niche. The more relevant you are, the more likely you will improve in the SERPs.
  9. No Profile Picture

Okay thanks much appreciated.
  11. No Profile Picture

I Use Joomla is it easy and good CMS and has no problem with speed, My boss used a paid CMS and he found that is slow, it is easy to control the template, they are many tutorials, if you know HTML and CSS you can control the template easy, About Joomla SEO, i think joomla is ok if you know what you are doing, and the big thing in seo is the content is the King.
  13. No Profile Picture

Okay thanks that's great!
  15. No Profile Picture

Joomla is very reliable and easy to use. But if you jump start your blogging/website career in other platforms like Wordpress and others, you will surely have to take time to learn some of it's areas.
  17. No Profile Picture

Hi Waynemorrise are you saying you are more likely to have to use code in wordpress than you are Joomla or something else?
  19. No Profile Picture

No, not really. Actually, wordpress acts like a word document everything you paste, everything you put in completes everything. One thing that makes Joomla harder to learn than wordpress because for me, joomla is best when you do it in a code way. Another thing is that it is very detailed in whatever aspect you want your website looks to be.
  21. No Profile Picture

Okay thanks Wayne must appreciated! I look it all up soon. If you have time feel free to talk about it a bit more. If you have no time or feel I'll will pick it up etc I don't need a longer answer by any means. Take care - I happy what ever!
  23. No Profile Picture

Hi it is meant to be okay. It's just you have to follow there guidelines on SEO a little more than you would with wordpress is the general consensus. If you look in there help guide that might be best if you are concerned. I think less of the SEO is inbuilt in the CMS than wordpress. ie - wordpress gives more boxes for you to fill out to make sure nothing is missed. They also have plugins too that make sure everything is in place. There might be joomla extensions for SEO but I have not used Joomla yet. There are no disadvantages with Joomla as such as long as your own SEO is done well.
    Last edited by Alpine; Feb 7th, 2013 at 05:22 AM.