Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Yahoo traffic vs google traffic

I used to get 1 yahoo referral for every 10 google visitors. now it's 1 to 100. I increased the traffic from google, the traffic from yahoo stays the same. Most of my google traffic is from 3 or 4 key phrase searches.

I know some of you here get 20-50% search traffic from Yahoo. do you get most of your yahoo traffic from 1 or 2 key phrases search, or longer search string? I'm kind of thinking Yahoo doesn't handle complext search well.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Anybody who is getting 30-40% of their traffic from yahoo needs to spend more time optimizing for google.

It just means their google traffic is way down.
  5. Contributing User

Yahoo! traffic? What's Yahoo! taffic?
    Anyone knows?

I can't understand why some people still thinks that Yahoo! will send any kind of traffic. They have their own news, content articles, shops, photo galleries, email services, chat, job search... and ads. Think for yourself.
  7. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Originally Posted by Mauricio
    Think for yourself.
    Mauricio you are describing the portal side of Yahoo. The Yahoo search function does send traffic.
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  9. Contributing User

Somebody is bound to be making money off Yahoo. If 5-50% of your competition is bumped off with questionable penalties and bans you will likely see sales increases. There are many people who probably think they know a lot about optimizing for Yahoo. The reality is the simple addition of a page, whois check, or adding links might vanish you permanently from Yahoo. Add to that some manual reviewer justifying his position by removing so many web sites a day from the index.

Overall though Yahoo is a poor quality engine for searches. Ask.com does a better job. The end result is Yahoo and its portals will drive more people away from the Internet hurting you even in Google. You don't fool people. I remember when Infoseek, Excite, Alta Vista, and Lycos were classified as the top dogs. What was that other one, I'm trying to remember. It'll come to me.
  11. Contributing User

The Yahoo search function does send traffic.
    Yes; me too. I get a website's directory in my main sites and I send traffic but I better like send traffic from those clicks on paid links.

How do you explain that most of us receive 1/2 visitors from Yahoo! each 50/100 we receive from Google if they have around 40% of the english traffic each one?
    (Please, don't forget we are here talking about SEO)
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Nevermind comparing yahoo to google. After all, you are posting your question in Yahoo optimization forum, and I don't understand why people come to this forum and tell us that we "shouldn't" even optimize for Yahoo!
    Anyway, to answer your question, my own experience tells me that yahoo puts a lot of weight on on-site optimization, with an increasing, but still low weight on off-site (backlinks). Yahoo seems sometimes to even favor spammy pages (with keywords stuffed and repeated all over the page). So I can tell you that they key to yahoo's #1 is more keywords, but keep it reasonable and don't spam, you'll eventually lose customers and not only serp. Title tag keywords, domain keywords, all help.
    And about complex searches, yes I agree with you, if you search for widget and then search for widgets (in plural), you may get totally different results: some sites are first page for the latter keyword, which the same sites do not appear in top 100 for its plural version, which I think is stupid.
  15. afkf

yahoo seem unreliable and unpredictable, if anyone can come up with a formula please tell us all
  17. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Over the last two months when I compare traffic from google to yahoo and msn. I get a 2 to 1 ratio of traffic on yahoo and msn compared to google. The real estate leads I get have better conversion rates in yahoo and msn than google as well.

My msn traffic is just under google right now but not by much. I have top 10 in google for primary key phrase and msn and yahoo as well. Right now though I have been seeing more solid leads coming from yahoo and msn. Google and their irrelevant results I believe has driven some consumers away already.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by gchaney
    Yep, that would be me at this point. Tons of traffic from Yahoo and MSN, squat from G and not ashamed to admit it either ;)

Working on the G factor now as been stuck at 190's for at least a month or more...sigh.

Cheers
    Me too. I'm making progress though. As time goes on and I increase my BLs, I get higher and higher rankings. I'm starting to break top 100 now, after 6 months.
  21. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by SEO_AM
    Mauricio you are describing the portal side of Yahoo. The Yahoo search function does send traffic.
    What he's trying to say is that Yahoo SERPS are not so "mathematical" as G. I met a guy who worked for Yahoo and he said that's really the point. Yahoo has been more focus on commercial results of their SERPS (4 sure that's why G sends much more traffic).

-Daniel
  23. Free the SB
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

I looked at the phrases from both Yahoo and google. They appear to be similar; both engines are delivering traffic for multi word phrases.

Why don't you put some time into one of those multi-word phrases for Yahoo with on page optimization and links on the phrase and see if (a) that drives your rankings higher for the phrase in Yahoo and (b) if there is yahoo traffic off the phrase.

Dave
  25. B afraid.. B very afraid!

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Originally Posted by gchaney
    I frankly am ashamed to say what my G traffic is...
    gchaney, it is much easier to crack Y and M because it is primarily on-page. With M moving to off-page more, many folks will get hit. Off-page SEO is a lot more work full of frustration and hand-wringing. The only things that can be applied is patience and tenacity, but it eventually pays off. IMO, to be successful online, most if not all players need to be placing well with Google. It takes much longer, but the effort is worth it.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I get a fair amount of yahoo traffic... msn is ridiculous but anyway....

I am in a small town so search terms are fairly short.... website design aspen usually not longer than that....

N.
  29. No Profile Picture
    EGOL

Originally Posted by jontelofot
    Anybody who is getting 30-40% of their traffic from yahoo needs to spend more time optimizing for google.
    ha ha... that is funny.... I get that much from Yahoo.... I think that you and my competitors are spending too much of your time messing around with your google rankings.

check this link for the market share
    http://searchenginewatch.com/reports/article.php/2156451

If you are getting less than 30% at yahoo maybe I am getting your traffic.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: