Thread: Yahoo traffic

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Angry Yahoo traffic

Anyone's Yahoo traffic decrease drastically since the switch?? Yahoo used to be 20% of my over all traffic. It fell to 8%. Thats a huge drop for me. I have great rank so whats the problem?? I use webtrends is it having problems tracking the traffic?? Or did it drop that much???
    -PK
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

PK,

I'm getting wierd traffic from Yahoo!. I see hits from Yahoo search for certain keywords or phrases, yet when I do a search on Yahoo! for that same keyword/phrase, we are nowhere to be found????????

You Got ME!!!!

edited to add - Hits are way down.
    Last edited by mcdar; Feb 19th, 2004 at 11:36 AM.
  5. Contributing User

Same here Google is now 91% of my traffic but it's up since the update. Yahoo stuck in the gutter.

mcdar if your using a log analyser than most of the keywords they show can have a combination. for example in travel: I see in webtrends that "travel" is my number one keyword/phrase and "costa rica" is my number 5 keyword/phrase yet I dont appear for wither of them. BUT when I type in "costa rica travel" I appear. Most weblog analysers count the number of occurances of keywords in a log even if they came in from another search term. If a user came in using "italy travel" than that would be another hit for "travel" aswell. So even if a keyword is high on a report doesn't mean it's that exact keyword users are finding your site through. IF your reading the weblog manually than I have no f*cking idea lol.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Yahoo Traffic is as Follows, all taken from Wednesdays:

rustybrick.com: 2/18 14.94% | 2/11 18.45% | 2/04 12.00% | 1/28 11.58%

seroundtable.com: 2/18 8.82% | 2/11 10.34% | 2/04 14.81% | 1/28 9.09%

You?
  9. Contributing User

TODAY 7.65%
    2/18 8.95%
    2/11 20.07%
    2/04 19.12%
    1/28 20.55%

damn it.
    i.
    dont.
    like.
    this.
  11. Savior of the Whales
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

well, the serps at yahoo look PITIFUL today .... not ready for prime time i dont think ..... the serps at altavista look much better than yahoo .... i'd say they need a few days to get their act together .... they may learn the hard way that the honeymoon is not much fun with no champagne .....
  13. Contributing User

Yeah I agree not a really good way of trying to take a larger market share of the search business. 20% falling to 5% - 10% is not really a step forward. This reminds me of Florida but no one actually gives a crap because Yahoo isn't supplying 80% of the traffic. If they were that would be a different story. Kinda funny if you think about it.
  15. Contributing User
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Well, my Yahoo traffic doubled today, so maybe it depends on the subject matter. I'm a happy little camper right now - Google is being nice to me, yahoo is being nice to me, heck even MSN is being nice to me. I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts (which sometimes is only a day or so).
  17. Savior of the Whales

well ... the only thing LESS WORSE (i flunked 6th grade grammar) .... bout the yahoo debacle and florida ... is yahoo did not have a good thing going before they screwed it up .... they just tripped on their way out of the gate .....

personally ... we got really mixed resutls at yahoo .... some good and sum bad ... which is norml in any change ... but overall, the serp quality i see at yahoo does not even put them in the SE game yet .... example .... one search i did showed 6 of 10 serps from one domain ie

xx.com
    usa.xx.com
    xx.com/beans.htm
    usa.beans.xx.com

etc .,..

this is ELEMENMTARY stuff yahoo needs to get a handle on ....
  19. Contributing User

one search i did showed 6 of 10 serps from one domain ie
    LOL I mentioned that on another thread. I use virtual session IDs so everytime Ink comes to my site it indexes the homepage with a new session ID (should dump it like Google does) BUT keeps the old one too thinking it's a different page. I HAVE AROUND 6000 IDENTICAL HOMEPAGES INDEXED!! bullcrap. ohh and they appear many times in the SERPs. Not really anything to brag about since my traffic from Yahoo is down to 7.55%
  21. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

My position for certain keywords improved a lot (from nowhere to top5) since Yahoo moved away from Google,but anyway I'm not seeing any traffic improvement for these keywords,it seems a bit extrange to me.
  23. Savior of the Whales

i think the users are probably just not getting warm and fuzzy feelings when they look at the serps page there .... to many flaky looking serps ... so maybe they are just leaving instead of clicking on things .... or maybe they are clickin on the pay clicks more ..... ???

i have my overture turned off at the moment .... is anyone using overture there the last few days noticed an appreciable increase in pay per view clicks??
  25. No Profile Picture
    Tripper

Same here guys; but I am pretty sure it all has to do with my rankings in yahoo. Although it is great for all the top level pages (non dynamic), yahoo is definitely missing several 1000 inner pages. Compared to one week earlier, the traffic from yahoo halved. The main reason (in our case) is the parsing of multiple parameters (2) in a db generated site. We haven't implemented a mod_rewrite and frankly I wouldn't know where to start there (if anyone wants the job and knows what they are doing - site is coldfusion - feel free to send me a pm with a quote!!). It is managing to get through some pages but only those that have remained the same for the past 6 months or so.... slow going in other words if you don't pay per page! And at 25 bucks a page for several thousand pages, no thanks At the moment, I am estimating it will cost us about 10 000 visits a month but it's still early days and it will be interesting to see if yahoo updates more frequent now that they are competing with google.

On a good note, if you have a non commercial site and would like all your pages included, there's an email address that you can send your links to to have them all included - like the paid version for big sites but then free. I would have to dig around to find it but let me know if anyone wants it....

Sam
  27. No Profile Picture
    Xia
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Sam I Am
    And at 25 bucks a page for several thousand pages, no thanks
    Isn't it 25 bucks per SITE? NO matter how many pages? Dat dacht ik toch.. Anyway, even if you do want to pay the 25, better wait till april when yahoo will mention their own pricing, Inktomi inclusion doesn't mean yahoo inclusion..
  29. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by JoeBob
    example .... one search i did showed 6 of 10 serps from one domain ie

xx.com
    usa.xx.com
    xx.com/beans.htm
    usa.beans.xx.com
    etc .,..

I'll bet these guys have a paid inclusion program with all of those pages enrolled. I have paid inclusion there and see this happening with my own site. It doesn't happen on competetive searches but where the competition is low I can have three or four pages showing on the same SERP. They rank every page that you pay for.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: