1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Yahoo Paid Submission

Does anyone know if paid submissions actually increase ranking? And if so, do you have to renew it every year in order to maintain your ranking? I am assuming that if you pay for one year and get a good cross-linking strategy going, you don't need to renew the paid submission ...

As well, another Google vs Yahoo question ... is it true that relevant links back to your website is becoming more important for Yahoo rankings (like it is for Google?). As well, would too many cross-links drop your ranking (as search engines are becoming smarter .. and cross-linking is becoming more of a grey area)?

Any recommendations/suggestions/comments would be welcome. Thanks.

Mike
    Last edited by dazzlindonna; Aug 1st, 2004 at 09:39 PM. Reason: no fake sigs allowed
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Does anyone know if paid submissions actually increase ranking?
    - Yes
    And if so, do you have to renew it every year in order to maintain your ranking?
    - You should, it's not that much...
    is it true that relevant links back to your website is becoming more important for Yahoo rankings (like it is for Google?).
    - It appears so. There are threads from months back on Yahoo Bombing too.
    As well, would too many cross-links drop your ranking (as search engines are becoming smarter .. and cross-linking is becoming more of a grey area)?
    - I'm sure that at some point Google would drop you from their index if you put too many cross-linked sites together for the purpose of gaining rank position. It's against their TOS, but I think you know that.
  5. No Profile Picture
    God save the Queen

- You should, it's not that much...
    You dont think that minimum 15 cents a click is a little steep ?
  7. Contributing User

I've seen a 15% decline in Yahoo Directory listings within a month in my areas. Apparently people aren't renewing their listings or Yahoo is penalizing some of them when they renew.

If you're using Google Adsense Yahoo Sitematch could negate your revenues.
  9. Contributing User

I thought you were referring to Yahoo's Express Submit - paying to be listed in the directory. It's only 299 a year, no cpc.
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/suggest/busexpress.html
  11. No Profile Picture
    LPH

I paid for submission, received a receipt email but never an explanation for the review. The control panel shows denied so I emailed and asked why. I was told an email was sent (not received) and they'd send another. Still nothing, so I emailed again. They said I should challenge the denial -- except that I never received an email with an explanation -- so why would I challenge?

No answer.

I tried to call and was told that they only discuss things in email.

Based on my experience, save your money and give it to Google Adwords.
  13. No Profile Picture
    User Contributor

LPH did you get your money back?
  15. Contributing User

Forget giving your money away to Yahoo. You can get listed for free, it just takes longer. As to getting a response, good luck. They suck for follow up. I think they are swamped trying to run a se with their own tech. Better to spend the money on ADwords or even searchengine feed (you may actually net a few links that way). Some people do get traffic from a Yahoo directory listing, but it heavily depends on the market.

Boulder City NV Real Estate | Las Vegas Retirement Communities | Las Vegas Golf Homes | Dogs for adoption in Las Vegas
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

As far as I am concerned paying to be listed in the Yahoo Directory is a complete waste of money. A user actually has to click on the Directory Link to get any of the results in directory.

They claim that if you pay the $299 you will be added into the main results somewhere.

One of our clients has a #3 ranking in the directory but can not be found for the most pertinent keyword or even the same keyword in the main results. This tells me that the directory is a waste of money.

I have never paid to have our site listed in the directory and we have awesome rankings in Yahoo.

The pay per click to me is also a waste of time. Yahoo will find your site and list it for free. It may take a few weeks but they will find you.

Again we have awesome rankings in Yahoo and we have never paid a dime to Yahoo.

In fact I haven't even recommended it to any of our clients in over 3 years and they all have great rankings in Yahoo.

The only way I could see paying for Yahoo is if you have a client that wants to be listed with in 72 hours versus waiting two to three weeks for Yahoo to find and index the site.

If you have advertising budget and funds allotted for Yahoo, I would use the funds for Google AdWords.
    Google produces more traffic but most importantly produces more buyers!

One of the biggest keys to SEM is maximizing your ROI while reducing your advertising spending and determining where the funds are most effective.

From my experience you can produce a higher ROI spending the same amount of money with Google.

Just my two sense.

Ray Gonzalez
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I'm currenty getting about 7 clicks a day from the Yahho directory. Thats 12 cents a click. I'm paying a whoooole lot more with my adwords campains.
  21. Unclassified

We have a three month old site which currently has around 20 pages of a site indexed by Yahoo compared to Google which has indexed nearly 500 pages of the site.

Google's indexing of the site is growing with the site but Yahoo seems to be slow to do a deep crawl.

Is it wise to still pay for Yahoo's Express Submission? I had planned to do so but don't know if it will have any effect. Yahoo seem to promise to visit with their bots more often if you pay.

Also has anyone any suggestions for other pay for directories worth subscribing to? We don't have a huge budget but are prepared to pay for the right directories.
  23. Contributing User

Yahoo's bot is visting one of our sites over 40 times a day. The pages in their cache and index are still over a month old. Paying will initially get you in quicker but doesn't seem to help thereafter. Thus, if you're already in, don't pay.
    Derryt