Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Give me Backlinks
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Yahoo makes 50% of my traffic!

So how much has Yahoo affected your traffic as a new search engine? For me, while the traffic from Yahoo prior to 18 Feb was 20-25%, now it's a staggering 50% for the websites which are doing as well at Yahoo as at Google.

Also, I would mention, one of my websites which seems to have been penalized by Yahoo (I'm wondering why just like these folks- www.webmasterworld.com/forum35/1845-4-15.htm ) has recorded a drop in traffic by 50%. Just goes to show how all of a suuden Yahoo has become as momentous as Google! We all knew Yahoo would pose a tough competition to Google, but how many of us had ever imagined that we'll see Google and Yahoo fighting neck to neck?

Right now, Yahoo's support really sucks! Also, their bot crawls the web like a sloth. (Well, that's what 'crawling' is! )So basically, there's still some room for improvement, and still some more scope to give Google a hard time, much harder than this.

Best of luck everyone with Yahoo optimization!
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

I'm getting around 7% from Yahoo.

How much traffic is your 50% Maneesh?? If your not getting a boatload of traffic from and both have the same amount of pages indexed than a 50/50 split is possible. My 7% is close to a 1000 daily visits so I dont see this head to head batte everyone is refeering to. Unlike Google, Yahoo is having a problem indexing my site so I'm sure that has something to do with it.
    -PK
  7. Contributing User

Yea, most my sites are 6% - 10% Yahoo.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Percentages are a weird beast. I am reminded of the case in Mexico where they had a traffic problem (Added: I mean real traffic, with cars, not web traffic...thought I better add that). Anyway, the governments solution was simply to repaint the roads, changing two lanes to three. That was a 50% increase in lanes. There were so many crashes, that they had to reduce the roads back to their original size. But here is the thing, the government claimed a 50% increase in lanes (2 to 3), but a reduction of only 33% (from 3 to 2) leading to a net gain of 17%!! There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.

So, while 50% is possible, neigh, probable, for one site here or there, that may not be the norm. Previously, a reduction in Google rankings would hit Yahoo equally, so percentages stayed pretty static, where as now the two are independant. We'll have to wait to see the marketshare at years end before making too many comments.
    Last edited by projectphp; Mar 16th, 2004 at 04:42 PM. Reason: (clarrification. traffic means something different to SEOs)
  11. Give me Backlinks

RB, PK, php,

I have a matrimonial site. I use awstats (I know it's not as good as some others, but still good enough to report the accurate hits for a keyword ).

As far as pages referred to by an SE is concerned, Google has around 55% as compared to 35% from Yahoo, but that's because Google has far many pages indexed than Yahoo. As of total number of visits from an SE, stats show 35% for Google and 44.8% for Yahoo!

So I guess it's safe to say that I'm getting 50% traffic from Yahoo!

PK, I also think that 6% traffic has more to do with less number pages indexed by Yahoo. I have other sites with lesser number of pages indexed getting lesser Yahoo! traffic. One (seemingly) banned site is getting no Yahoo traffic at alll and the overall traffic dropped by around 50%. BTW, I'm really surprised to know you guys are receiving 6-7% traffic. I hope my stats are OK!
  13. Contributing User

As you know, there can be a dozen reasons.

(1) More pages in one index then the other
    (2) One SE found more important links then the other
    (3) Your Web visitors tend to use Yahoo over Google (Maybe people who are searching for your keywords are more likely to use Yahoo over Google). Tech sites, I would guess, get more traffic from Google in relation to Underwear sites - as a ratio to the industry.
  15. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I see percentages similar to pk_synth... Search engine traffic when Yahoo was using the Google index was: 84% Google and 12% Yahoo. With Yahoo using it's own index, it's 89% Google and 6% Yahoo.

We get roughly 10,000-15,000 unique visitors from search engines per day, so while it's not a indicative of the whole Internet, it's a good sampling from a medium sized site.

- Shawn
  17. Contributing User

Yea, but I have a strong feeling more of your traffic comes from Google because your a tech related site. Your products are more likely to be using Google as their primary search engine over Yahoo. Whereas someone searching for your other secret business, you know the one that sells tea cups, they might be using Yahoo more. (let me clarify that I am not saying that Yahoo is used more by your tea cup searcher. I am saying that there is a higher percentage of tea cup searchers using Yahoo then ISP billing software searchers using Yahoo).

And to respond to your post, I see similar numbers as both PK and DP. But my sites are mostly tech related.
  19. Give me Backlinks

RB, you explanation seems accurate. Most of our visitors are those you'd prefer Yahoo over Google for searching a matrimonial site. So yes, it depends on the type of products or services being searched for. But what amazes me is that after Yahoo broke up with Google, the use of Yahoo as a search engine has increased dramatically.

That's also one reason why I have become toooo concerned about yahoo serps. And also, just now I understood why people here are not too concerned about yahoo optimization- apparently, they are not receiving as much traffic as I am.

Good or bad?
  21. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

RB, you explanation seems accurate. Most of our visitors are those you'd prefer Yahoo over Google for searching a matrimonial site.
    Maybe more of you traffic is coming from Yahoo Stores and Overture than Google or Adwords. How do you run your campaign?

I get more traffic an equal amount of traffic from Overture as I do from Yahoo at his moment. But recently noticed Dynamo isn't Yahoo friendly so I'll update once that's fixed.
  23. Give me Backlinks

PK, we don't pay for any program and rely solely on organic listings on both Google and Yahoo. That's what I'm paid for

How much traffic is your 50% Maneesh??
    The average number of visitors to the site I'm taliking of is a little over 1600. The average number of unique visitors is around 1200. Not massive traffic, but my question is- how come the traffic from Yahoo increased so much exactly after it broke up with Google?

PK, check your PM section.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Xia
    Contributing User

Your site is probably just ranked higher in Yahoo than it is in Google, which leads to more people finding your site. I don't think more people have now started to use Yahoo because of their new Search Engine.
  27. Give me Backlinks

Xia, I said I am receiving 50% traffic from Yahoo for a site which is 'doing as fine at Google as at Yahoo'.

For one big keyword, the positions at google and yahoo are similar. (amongst top 3)
    For another big keyword, I'm 4th at yahoo and 9th at google.
    For many smaller keywords, which in fact bring in a lot a traffic, my serps at google are much better than at yahoo.

For the second one (4th at yahoo and 9th at google) I am getting second highest number of total hits. The hits for this one have increased after the keyword began to rank well at yaoo, that is after 18 Feb. The one at the top in terms of most hits is obviously the one that ranks well both at google and yahoo.

Now does that suggest that ranking well at yahoo means a lot of traffic for the site in question? To me, it does.
  29. America fights back

Your ranking can play a huge factor....

If you are #1 spot of a listing with a good description in the listing - you might get 99% of the searchers for the KWP to click on your site.

Same KWP at #3 might get you 45% of the searchers clicking

Same KWP at #6 might get you 3%

Simple math says - get the #1 spot!! (I know you know this)

Basically the graph on click throughs goes from high to low very quickly, which is why a second page listing might get you 1 click a day if that.

So if you are #1 at yahoo at 1,000 people search for that KWP that day you would probably get 990 visitors. And if Google you are at #6 with 10,000 (10 times as many) searches for that KWP you might get 300 visitors. More people might use google but you rank would send you less traffic.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: