1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Yahoo & Keyword Tags

Honestly, I have never really cared about paying attention to Yahoo search because it was a lot lower in search quantity than Google.

But since clients seem to care about the ranking of their results in other places than Google, I started to look into it more.

One thing I realized and didn't really care about before is the keyword meta tag. It seems like in my opinion that yahoo uses the keyword tag a lot to rank sites. A lot of the top results all use optimized keyword tags.

Has anyone else thought this?

I always knew it was a factor but didn't think it was that strong of a signal.
    Last edited by ericwoo; Jul 20th, 2012 at 11:22 PM.
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by ericwoo
    Honestly, I have never really cared about paying attention to Yahoo search because it was a lot lower in search quantity than Google.

But since clients seem to care about the ranking of their results in other places than Google, I started to look into it more.

One thing I realized and didn't really care about before is the keyword meta tag. It seems like in my opinion that yahoo uses the keyword tag a lot to rank sites. A lot of the top results all use optimized keyword tags.

Has anyone else thought this?

I always knew it was a factor but didn't think it was that strong of a signal.
    Keyword tag?...aha no...I don't optimize or keep up with yahoo or Bing (which are the results Yahoo is using) but just optimizing for google pretty much works for Bing...You can fill in that keyword tag if it makes ya feel better though...it won't hurt ya.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Okay well, I forgot to mention that a lot of the results are at the top 5 spots in google, and not even in the top 5 pages in yahoo.

I use to think the same thing, but when I realized this, it made me start thinking- what are they doing different here. A quick look at the google results show that they are either non-targeted or no keyword meta tags.

Then look at yahoo, and the top 10 all use very optimized targeted keyword tags. If you don't think that is it, you might be right?! - but there obviously is something very different that yahoo is using to rank websites.

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    Keyword tag?...aha no...I don't optimize or keep up with yahoo or Bing (which are the results Yahoo is using) but just optimizing for google pretty much works for Bing...You can fill in that keyword tag if it makes ya feel better though...it won't hurt ya.
  7. No Profile Picture

Each search engine has their own algorithm to crawl website and give ranking them. When you got ranking in Google and not in Yahoo, that means your website fulfill Google's rules and not Yahoo's.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Founder, SEOChat.com :)
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

The meta keywords tag, no, never, but I do still like to make sure that every page has a meta description.
    Darrin J. Ward, the Founder of SEO Chat (this site
    FREE CHAT BOX FOR YOUR SITE OR BLOG
  11. No Profile Picture

According to me if you want to rank your website in yahoo and bing too then you need to tack care about content optimization like keyword density, proximity and semanticity etc.

So go for all and sure your ranking will increase.

Comments on this post

• ClickyB : keyword density :crazyeyes Noooooooooooooo.......
  13. No Profile Picture

Actually they still index it. I ran a test and my page shows up in Yahoo for my special word. So it's just search engine propaganda again. Still, I have not used meta keywords in years and wouldn't change my recommendation on that.
  15. No Profile Picture

As i think if you are targeting yahoo search engine then you need to work our in well manner for your content, yahoo and bing both has the almost same algorithm both consider the more density for the targeted keyword in web page.

So we need to tack care about this factor and hope our rank will increase in both the search engine.
  17. No Profile Picture

I would lean towards social networking sites as a general guide, but as I said, it depends on your industry.
  19. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the reply
  21. No Profile Picture

yahoo and bing search engine still look for keywords in meta tag whereas google claim that it doesn't consider them.
  23. Contributing User

Originally Posted by apnavaru
    yahoo and bing search engine still look for keywords in meta tag whereas google claim that it doesn't consider them.
    Are you absolutely positive of that? The reason I ask is because I have read other discussions here by veteran members saying that there is absolutely no reason to use META keywords anymore.
  25. No Profile Picture

keyword ......... i dont care