1. Son Of Spam
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Is Yahoo Getting More Strict Then Google?

Has any one else noticed Y is getting more strict then G lately? I can get indexed faster on G with more pages too! While Y continues to drop some of my pages! It use to be the other way around! I feel like I've fallen in a parallel universe or something. I just don't get it. It seems G is loosing up, and Y is tightening up!

Comments on this post

• crxvfr agrees : Used to be easy to rank at Y! Not anymore. Don't see any logical pattern to the changes either.
  3. SEO Earthquake!
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

I get indexed fine, but appearing in the SERPs is easier in G than Y! for me. Y! doesn't seem to like my sites. But my SERPs have been improving this week so maybe it's just a big fluctuation...
    14th Colony: The hardest working websites online!

Looking for links? Join the Union and don't miss English Grammar rules, tips and explanations
  5. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I've always viewed Y as "less efficient".
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  7. My SE ran out of Gas...
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

May be for older sutes... I am experiencing HARD to get into the Yahoo..SERPs. But She cares my newbies...much better than Google. May this coz of Yahoo eeds more index volume than Google Anyway I know after sometime, those new sites are going to drop in Yahoo, but Top in google...

This may coz of We are optimizing for Google, and less cared abt Yahoo... ('specially once you start getting from google)...

just a thought...
    KICHUS - SEO KiD
    "Sooner or later, those who win are those who believe they can."
    • Virtue SEO - "a plan with the virtue of being practical"

SEO Consultant India
  9. Son Of Spam

Inconsuistencies!

What I'm seeing is a lot of inconsistencies with y!

I can't say with just old or new sites, it's a bag of mixed nuts! Y will index 200 pages one day, then changer her mind the next day and take back over half! Then the next day she gives them back, but the day after I end up with like 60 pages indexed! Keep in mind, getting indexed in Y takes longer then G now! G will not usually give and take like Y. For example, if G indexes 200 pages one day, they will stick.

Also I'm seeing worse serps too. Not just for my sites, but also the relevance is getting worse on serps. I was of the opinion that Y had better relevant serps then G for a long time, but now, I'm not so sure. May be it's just me. If not too many other people are seeing this, then it may be nothing.
  11. SEO Earthquake!

Y! has been all over the map for a while now. Ever since they expanded their DB to make it bigger than G's. Then that update they did a couple weeks ago (right in the midle of Jagger so I think a lot of people missed it) which made things worse.

I'm seeing a lot of these posts in various forums. What's more I'm hearing complaints of ranking well and not getting any traffic.

That could be troubling.
  13. No Profile Picture
    CSS/xHTML coder
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

yeah same here , I dopped soo low for my popular keywords.

bah ! it very difficult to have good ranking in all search engines with same keywords.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I was just curious, for the people having a hard time getting good SERPS in Yahoo, are you in their directory? Since joining their directory I have always been on page 1 or 2 for the last year or so. I got clobbered in the last GOOGLE update, but my SERPS have increased in YAHOO (just became #1 for a major kw). I consider myself extremely lucky since my listings in YAHOO saved my business this year.

m4k
  17. Contributing User

Originally Posted by More4kids
    I was just curious, for the people having a hard time getting good SERPS in Yahoo, are you in their directory? Since joining their directory I have always been on page 1 or 2 for the last year or so. I got clobbered in the last GOOGLE update, but my SERPS have increased in YAHOO (just became #1 for a major kw). I consider myself extremely lucky since my listings in YAHOO saved my business this year.

m4k
    You wouldn't be alleging that Yahoo might favor in their organic serps those who have paid Yahoo $ to get into their directory, would you?
    If they do that, thay are going to go out of the SE business, I think.
  19. Self-managed!
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by expat
    You wouldn't be alleging that Yahoo might favor in their organic serps those who have paid Yahoo $ to get into their directory, would you?
    If they do that, thay are going to go out of the SE business, I think.
    You're right that if they'd do it they'd probably go out of the bussiness, but do you think they'd ever admit it ? I don't think so, so IMHO if it would be to happen that way it would be just another "cold war".
  21. No Profile Picture

I have about 300 one page domains that were banned from google and when yahoo had its update (same time as j3 i beleive), a lot of those sites are ranked extremley well on yahoo. These domains were not touched for at least a year and some even longer. Once I got wind of the serps for y on them, i have been building 10 sub pages per domain (takes about a wekk a domain) with orginal content and It is not only sticking, but it is also getting rankings for boolean kw's from those sub pages.
  23. Ditzy

Originally Posted by Bud Wiser
    What I'm seeing is a lot of inconsistencies with y!
    Definetly. Sure would like to know whats going on. Even older, previously top ranked sites of mine (in their shopping directory too) have recently been lack-luster. Other similar sites haven't moved.

What are they they looking for? Hopefully they're just re-arranging but the serps have not been fluctuating (for me). Just lost lots of indexed pages awile back and slipped to page 2.
  25. SEO Earthquake!

With Y! it almost seems like there are 2 personalities at work. One set of DCs that is the "old guard" and another new set that does things different. It's like there is a tug-o-war over the SERPs. I wonder if they are phasing something in? Or maybe, phasing something out?
  27. Son Of Spam

Originally Posted by sensei
    You're right that if they'd do it they'd probably go out of the bussiness, but do you think they'd ever admit it ? I don't think so, so IMHO if it would be to happen that way it would be just another "cold war".
    Well I happen to know for a fact because I have tested this out to the point of exhaustion, that Y! has lied in the past!

About 3-4, may be 5 months ago, G announced they would begin observing the nofollow tag to combat referral spam. MSN quickly jumped on the bandwagon, and in a official press release, Y! said they thought it was a great idea, and they would begin observing the nofollow tag too! Every one thought that was fantastic, the top 3 SES agreeing on something and willing to work together for a common cause. While G and MSN has since been observing the nofollow, Y! has yet to start observing it. True, they never said *when* they will begin observing it, but they did seem to imply soon! Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, and hope Y! never observes the nofollow

But isn't this another example of how ses are not always completely honest or straight forward?

But back to the subject of what the hell is going on at Y!, I am really concerned at the length of time Y! is taking to get what ever it is they are changing/doing, completed! They use to be much more consistant, and reliable then G, at least imo.
    They still list BL's faster then G, but they do not index as fast or as much as G, it use to be just the opposite! I can get new sites indexed now faster in G with more pages, while Y! seems to be on a cigarette break, or out to lunch, and when they do get around to indexing my new sites, they can't make up their mind how many pages to index! One day it will be 6, the next 206, the next back to 6 the next 36, the next up to 60, too much back and forth! I'm seeing a lot of this!

And I don't rank as well any more either, and on the sites I do manage to get in the top 20, I don't get as much traffic any more either! All these so called improvements Y! has been working on does not seem to be improving too much. I wish they would go back to the way they were say 4 months ago.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Sorry, but if you think any of the search engines are totally honest and straight forward, I have a bridge to sell you.

While I'm not entirely sure it helps, paying the $300 is probably a good idea unless you really need that title tag.

My biggest beef with Yahoo is simply that they often appear to lack rhyme and reason in their serps and updates. For me, I still get better positions than Google though. Yahoo needs to clean up their results, as MSN is gaining ground fast (and will likely overtake Y after IE7 is released).
    Last edited by devilfruit; Dec 7th, 2005 at 09:39 PM.