1. Stephen M. Noton
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Yahoo employees are manipulating the search results

I had heard about this one, but until Yahoo! sent us a screen shot I couldn't confirm it but it would seem that Yahoo! employees are able to report using the:

ystmap.search.corp.yahoo.com

system at Yahoo! now I have no problem with this but its interesting, anyone have some friends over at Yahoo! ;) I'm sure there are some interns that might be looking to make some sideline money...

(attached is a screen shot from a Yahoo! employee's computer)
    Attached Images
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Wow, that's for real?
  5. Self-managed!
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Hmm ... that's definitely interesting. Your bad luck to have a spammy site and an Yahoo! employee to search for something and get your site on the first SERP
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

They are totally gonna ruin the bagel toaster market..lol But seriously that is interesting, probably only one of a thousand things search engines do that we dont know about. Its all shady, its impossible and stupid for a business not to manipulate their product to increase their earnings. Me personally if I had the cash I would roll out a kick *** search engine that requires inclusion for commercial sites. Right now with the right capital it would be easier to start a search engine because you could just build on what people have already built.

Comments on this post

• crxvfr agrees : Thats funny. I wouldn't call it 'Manipulating' as much as 'reporting'.
  9. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

strange
  11. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

either tha's a fake or yahoo is incapable of communicating with their employees in any other fashion but to remind them via the public engine. plus, since, in my experience, yahoo is easy to rank with, and in my experience nobody uses yahoo to search, paying off interns wouldn't be worth it unless it was done in cheap draft.... very cheap, like the stuff from the carpet.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by djstreet
    either tha's a fake or yahoo is incapable of communicating with their employees in any other fashion but to remind them via the public engine. plus, since, in my experience, yahoo is easy to rank with, and in my experience nobody uses yahoo to search, paying off interns wouldn't be worth it unless it was done in cheap draft.... very cheap, like the stuff from the carpet.
    I don't know. It seems like a no brainer to me. Why WOULDN'T you make it easy for your employees to report spam if you own the search engine? I mean they have a link for users to do the same thing. The screen shot still doesn't tell you what they do with the info.

"Live never to be ashamed of what is written about you. Even if what is written is not true" -- Richard Bach

Yahoo Store SEO
  15. Contributing User

Seems right our site just got wiped off of Yahoo.

No explanation at all. Hopefully we can get it back on the map for 3 keyword terms it literally cut our traffic in half.
  17. Think Out of the BOX...

Originally Posted by S.E.O.
    I had heard about this one, but until Yahoo! sent us a screen shot I couldn't confirm it but it would seem that Yahoo! employees are able to report using the:

system at Yahoo! now I have no problem with this but its interesting, anyone have some friends over at Yahoo! ;) I'm sure there are some interns that might be looking to make some sideline money...

I totally disagree with Stephen M. Noton the image he shown is fake and created by any graphics software... any one who created this image forget to mention login status of yahoo employee on top and if non one is login how can yahoo detect that user is Y employee.

I was worked for yahoo uk 6 months ago no such thing was exists, its just rumor.

Comments on this post

• brandall agrees : Oooooh... busted.
  19. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Cool Re: Yahoo Employees tweaking like google does

Originally Posted by S.E.O.

You know thats not a bad idea, hey did you do take that right off your last power point presentation?
  21. Need a Phone Card?

Trust me Yahoo knows what they are doing and even it this was true I am sure they are aware of the potential "abuses" that would result from this and have additional means of screening reports.

What you don't see from the screenshot is what would happen after one of their employees clicks on the link (if that link does actualy exist).

By the way what's up with the user name al-zarqawi?
  23. Ditzy

Could it be dis-information?

Wouldn't bet the farm on it.
    nothing came up for me when I tried that address.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by crxvfr; Nov 28th, 2005 at 12:28 AM.