1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Yahoo deindexed except default

Group:
    Our site www.cheeseline.com has been up about a month. Slowly adding decent backlinks etc. Have a urllist.txt for Yahoo to slurp. Was getting heavy slurps. Had 50+ pages indexed in Yahoo, until the past weekend when all pages were gone except for the default page. We are appearing the SERPs, try old amsterdam cheese as an example...

What have we done wrong?

TIA,
    Bill
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by Bill_H
    Group:
    Our site www.cheeseline.com has been up about a month. Slowly adding decent backlinks etc. Have a urllist.txt for Yahoo to slurp. Was getting heavy slurps. Had 50+ pages indexed in Yahoo, until the past weekend when all pages were gone except for the default page. We are appearing the SERPs, try old amsterdam cheese as an example...

What have we done wrong?

TIA,
    Bill
    You are not the only one. I have seen a couple of sites lost pages at the same time old and none existance urls appeared when you do "site:" search.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Any ideas as to what might be happening?

TIA,
    Bill
  7. Contributing User

Group:

What have we done wrong?

TIA,
    Bill
    Probably nothing. Yahoo is still in the middle of an update and lots of people have lost many pages. My advice: don't panic, wait for Yahoo to finish its update.
  9. Self-managed!
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

I have seen it happening. I'm also seeing an odd behaviour from their crawler's side. Just like expat said, I'd say not panic, just wait. You'll know how to react to this when this update will be complete ( although on www.ysearchblog.com says the update has been finished Monday morning ).
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by seo_sensey
    I have seen it happening. I'm also seeing an odd behaviour from their crawler's side. Just like expat said, I'd say not panic, just wait. You'll know how to react to this when this update will be complete ( although on www.ysearchblog.com says the update has been finished Monday morning ).
    Thanks, we will continue to hang on...

Cheers,
    Bill
  13. Wine Geek
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Removing all pages, usually leaving the index, is how a Yahoo engineer told me they institute bans; check it by doing a search for a unique phrase that only occurs on your site -- if you're near the end of the results, chances are the domain was dinged for some reason.

Fill out a reinclusion request; they'll at the very least let you know if the site meets quality guidelines...not the easier road to follow, but it's better than nothing.

Cygnus
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Cygnus may be correct. (Well, he is correct about bans occuring that way. He may be correct about that being what is going on with your site). I had 3 clients havethis happen to them. BUT, I've also had a couple new sites go through this at Yahoo with no penalty. I had one site launched, it took about a month to get the 1st 100 pages indexed, and then down to just the index page. It took 3 months and several emails, but at the end of that time, every page was indexed and ranking appropriately.

If the site is:
    - an affiliate site without significant unique content, or
    - interlinked with other sites you own having substancially the same content, or
    - using other obvious black hat techniques
    I would lean toward worrying. The first 2 caused the issues for my clients. The 3rd is just common sense. If none of those are in play, write to Yahoo and ask, but you'll probably be back before too long.

"Live never to be ashamed of what is written about you. Even if what is written is not true" -- Richard Bach

Yahoo Store SEO
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Brandall:
    To address your points, it is far from an affilate site, only interlinks to the site are on Froogle, and I don't feel as if the site is in the last bit spammy.

You can check it out at www.cheeseline.com

We have been slow and careful building BLS, have spent a lot of time building content and making the site easy to use for visitors.

When we first were listed, on our principle keywords we were below the 1000s in Yahoo, came up about a hundred places a day to about 300 and then fluctuated wildly up and down by hundreds for about a week. It would actually fluctuate every few hours. Then bang, we were deindexed except for the home page and don't come up in any searches.

Thoughts?

TIA,
    Bill

Originally Posted by brandall
    Cygnus may be correct. (Well, he is correct about bans occuring that way. He may be correct about that being what is going on with your site). I had 3 clients havethis happen to them. BUT, I've also had a couple new sites go through this at Yahoo with no penalty. I had one site launched, it took about a month to get the 1st 100 pages indexed, and then down to just the index page. It took 3 months and several emails, but at the end of that time, every page was indexed and ranking appropriately.

If the site is:
    - an affiliate site without significant unique content, or
    - interlinked with other sites you own having substancially the same content, or
    - using other obvious black hat techniques
    I would lean toward worrying. The first 2 caused the issues for my clients. The 3rd is just common sense. If none of those are in play, write to Yahoo and ask, but you'll probably be back before too long.
  19. Wine Geek

Cheeseline isn't banned. If you do a search for 'cheeseline.com', it shows up first, where a banned site would show up near the end of the results.

If I had to guess, I think Yahoo might have goofed when trying to read those gastly variable strings...when following through the site I saw 4-5 variables deep, and they weren't very specific. This has been known to cause problems in all engines from time to time, so it might be wise to revise how you go about pulling content from the DB and how the URL structure will look.

Definitely fill out the quality report though; I like the site and will bookmark it for my next wine/cheese tasting.

Cygnus
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Cygnus:
    Thanks for the feedback and kind words. The variable strings are not more than 3 variables deep, and the first variable is not really necessary. The first variable is the actual product name, which I thought might gain some notice in the SERPS on searches for individual product names. I have noticed that already we are in several top tens on Google for specific products, although we are absolutely nowhere on keywords so far.

I do the same thing with the page title, it is dynamic, with the title changing for each product.

Is this the wrong thing to do?

Cheers,
    Bill

Originally Posted by Cygnus
    Cheeseline isn't banned. If you do a search for 'cheeseline.com', it shows up first, where a banned site would show up near the end of the results.

If I had to guess, I think Yahoo might have goofed when trying to read those gastly variable strings...when following through the site I saw 4-5 variables deep, and they weren't very specific. This has been known to cause problems in all engines from time to time, so it might be wise to revise how you go about pulling content from the DB and how the URL structure will look.

Definitely fill out the quality report though; I like the site and will bookmark it for my next wine/cheese tasting.

Cygnus
  23. Wine Geek

Well shoot. If you're in there with Google, I wouldn't mess around with things too much. It has just been my experience that it seems easier to rank for a product or phrase on domain.com/productorphrase.aspx than domain.com/Lists.aspx?CId=2&MId=0&LTId=0&TId=2 [4 variables on the assortments page I randomly pulled]

You're best bet is still contacting Yahoo about the indexing issue, but if you're happy with Google traffic, then don't change the URL structure.

I change title, headers, keywords, description, etc dynamically too (though I'm more of a PHP guy). However, I never like showing a string of variables in the URL -- if you can set all those variables to equal a particular URL name for future sites, do that instead.

Cygnus
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Cygnus:
    Well, you did find the one area where the variables are long indeed, they are lists of products by best selling, best rated and alpha. You got those from the tabs. Most of the other links domain.com/products.aspx?PN=Product Name start with the product name as I mentioned.

What concerned me about Yahoo is prior to last weeks update, we had 70+ pages indexed and came up, well, in the 300s in the Serps. We plummted afterwards. Now only the default page is indexed by Yahoo. I was worried even about that one as our default page features the featured item which changes about every 48 hours. Accordlingly the page title for the default page changes every 48 hours, but that also depends if you are getting the page constructed from the server or pulled from the cache.

Since the page title is dynamic, it changes to show the product name if the page is generated from the server, but if it is pulled from the cache it is missing the product name. One of the idiosyncracies of .NET. I wonder if this might cause a problem?

Oh yea, I contacted Yahoo as every one suggested. I will post what sort of response I get if any. Now if I can just figure out why our Froogle store suddenly disappeared...

TIA,
    Bill

Well shoot. If you're in there with Google, I wouldn't mess around with things too much. It has just been my experience that it seems easier to rank for a product or phrase on domain.com/productorphrase.aspx than domain.com/Lists.aspx?CId=2&MId=0&LTId=0&TId=2 [4 variables on the assortments page I randomly pulled]

You're best bet is still contacting Yahoo about the indexing issue, but if you're happy with Google traffic, then don't change the URL structure.

I change title, headers, keywords, description, etc dynamically too (though I'm more of a PHP guy). However, I never like showing a string of variables in the URL -- if you can set all those variables to equal a particular URL name for future sites, do that instead.

Cygnus
  27. Contributing User

Cygnus:

What concerned me about Yahoo is prior to last weeks update, we had 70+ pages indexed and came up, well, in the 300s in the Serps. We plummted afterwards. Now only the default page is indexed by Yahoo.

As far is this part is concerned, you are a member of a fairly large club. Yahoo seems to be having a major problem with either its caching or its new algorithm, or both. The current serps seem to me to be a throwback to about 6-8 weeks ago. Either they are having big problems with their latest tweaking, or they have decided to go back to an older algorithm.
    Last edited by expat; Nov 21st, 2005 at 03:55 PM.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Cyngus:
    I received an answer from Yahoo. I was not banned, they had no problems with the site, but they felt that their bot was having a hard time following the multiple parameters in the links. AS you said.

But. Big but. They are the same links that were there when 70+ pages were indexed and have now entirely disappeared.

They also suggested adding a sitemap linked to the home page with static links.

So I rebuilt the site overnight, no area that I want bots to follow has more than two parameters, no strange text in the params and I added a basic sitemap of static links to get their bot started.

Only time will tell. Their answer seemed logical, but does not address how they indexed our site previously. I can only conclude that something changed recently with slurp that gave it trouble with our links.

Have a good holiday all!
    Cheers,
    Bill

Cygnus