1. Savior of the Whales
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Yahoo.CA vs Yahoo.COM ??

I see slightly different serps at yahoo.ca compared to yahoo.com ... Does anyone know WHAT is different?? (i am using the "search the web" feature .... NOT the "pages from canada" feature .....

Is it a different algo al-to-gether .... OR .... are the MANUAL adjustments yahoo makes to its .com index just not in force at yahoo.ca??

*****ALSO ***** Is it still safe to assume that the "search the web" feature makes NO DIFFERENCE about the IP of the host machine for the website as far as the serp position or has that changed recently??
    Last edited by JoeBob; Dec 15th, 2005 at 08:28 PM.
    *** Search Engine News, Jesus helps JOE BOB SEO save the whales. ***
  3. Savior of the Whales
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

i have been studying this some more and it looks to me like the yahoo.com and yahoo.ca use an entirely separate algo .... however some sites rank the same there and otheres different ....

can some sites that rank the same or different there post here and idicate if they host their site in the USA or canada or where else and if they are higher or lower on .ca or .com .... it may be that yahoo is ranking sites differently for USA or canada depending on where their host machine is .... can anyone else confirm this??
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I cannot confirm at all this point of view. I see sites hosted for years outside the US or Canada and they rank extremely high. They don't have a .com or whatever. they run with country tlds. I don't think it matters at all where you host but two things (and take my advice as a guess, because I am not sure):

1. Your backlinks, mainly the language of the pages from whom you get backlinks.
    2. Some meta-tag missing, but I higly doubt is this.

My sites and my income are hurt VERY MUCH because of this country filter and I am looking right now at a way to get out of it. I changed the meta-tags and I am waiting for a new index of my pages that will reflect the changes.

But, as I said, I don't think it's the meta-tags. It would be too simple.