1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Will duplicate content IN-SITE get a Yahoo ban?

On or around July 20th, my top site bascially got banned by Yahoo. I went from an average of 4500 referrals a week to an average of 6 now.

I am very confused, because my site is squeaky clean and legitimate: lots of good, themed inbound links, few outbounds, lots of original content, etc. It does very well with Google.

The only thing I can think of is that I do often have duplicate content on many of my pages. I wrote it, and it's pertinent to my site, but I do have the same paragraph(s) on many, I mean hundreds, of pages on my site.

Other than that, is there any reason Yahoo may have dropped me like this? I'm also confused as to why I still get a teeny bit of traffic. If I'm banned, why not 100%?
  3. Contributing User

I f your site has been de-indexed then you should look at their policy guidliness. If that doesn't help then I would send an inquiry to them.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Here are the guidelines from Yahoo. I am guilty of the point in bold, true, but of course I can find a million examples of sites that rank well in Yahoo which break many of these rules.

Pages Yahoo! Does Not Want Included in Its Search Submit Index:
    Some, but not all, examples of the more common types of pages that Yahoo! does not want included:

-Pages that harm accuracy, diversity or relevance of search results
    -Pages dedicated to directing the user to another page ("doorway pages")
    -Pages that have substantially the same content as other pages on the web, including affiliate content
    -Pages that change user preferences, reset default home pages, resize browser windows, disable back buttons, or otherwise interfere with a user's ability to navigate.
    -Pages with automatic software downloads including viruses, adware, spyware, or other self-installing programs
    -Sites with numerous, unnecessary virtual hostnames
    -Pages in great quantity, automatically generated, with minimal content or of little value
    -Pages using methods to artificially inflate search engine ranking
    -Pages with text that is not easily read, e.g., text that is too small or is obscured by the background of the page, or is located in an area of the page not visible to users.
    -Cloaking or stealth; a technique used by some web sites to deliver one page to a search engine and a different page to all other users
    -Cross-linking to inflate a site's apparent popularity, including participation in link exchanges or "link farms" ", and the use of non-navigational links
    -Pages built primarily for search engines or pages with excessive or off-topic keywords
    -Misuse or inaccurate use of competitor or brand names
    -Duplication of content, either by submission of multiple pages with same content, submitting the same content from multiple domains, or submitting the same content from multiple hosts
    -Pages that rely heavily on content or links to content created for another web site, such as affiliate content
    -Pages that have pop-ups, pop-unders or exit consoles
    -Pages that seem deceptive, fraudulent or provide a poor user experience (Descriptions that are not relevant to the page content)
    -Pages that result in a 404 error
    -Content, domains, titles, metadata or descriptions that (i) violate any applicable law or regulation; (ii) infringes in any manner any copyright, patent, trademark, trade secret or other intellectual property right of any party; (iii) breach any duty toward or rights of any person or entity including, without limitation, rights of publicity or privacy, or have otherwise resulted in any consumer fraud, product liability, tort, breach of contract, injury, damage or harm of any kind to any person or entity; (iv) are false or misleading; and/or (v) are defamatory, libelous, slanderous or threatening.
    -Online Gambling Sites: Yahoo! Search Submit does not accept URLs from online gambling sites. Online gambling sites are those that have gambling as their central theme, including those that accept wagers or require payment in exchange for the chance to win prizes, as well as sites that offer both information and links related primarily to the promotion of online gambling.
    -Prescription Drug Sites: Prescription drug sites are those that sell prescription drug products, as well as sites that offer information or links related primarily to the sale of prescription drugs. If a site is a prescription drug site and either sells prescription drugs or facilitates the sale of prescription drugs (via links), these sites must take part in an approved qualification program. SquareTrade, an independent third-party, manages Yahoo!'s approved qualification program. For more information please see https://www.squaretrade.com/sap/jsp/pharma_choose.jsp.
    -Tobacco products: Yahoo! Search Submit does not accept URLs for tobacco related products
  7. Croatia - Hrvatska
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

you got probably something like doorway pages or duplicate pages to get traffic, lots of site has, but maybe you got lots of them
  9. Contributing User

True I have seen site rank well that break those guidelines. I don't think Yahoo reviews every site to see if they have violated the guidelines. Your site may have been submitted by a competitor.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'll say exactly what I've done.

I made my website advertising my services (let's call it "toilet cleaning") in my home city. My site did so well, that I started listing toilet cleaning services in other cities. I made hundreds of web pages, all with the same text, but inserted different geographical regions. So I have pages like:

Boston Toilet Cleaning
    Philadelphia Toilet Cleaning
    Houston Toilet Cleaning
    Montgomery County Toilet Cleaning
    Lincoln County Toilet Cleaning
    Alabama Toilet Cleaning
    Minnesota Toilet Cleaning

...etc etc. I list all 50 states, 250 different cities, 200 different counties. I sprinkle geographic text throughout the pages, but other than that, the text is all identical.

Now before you just go saying, "yup, that's what got you banned", keep in mind that other sites in Yahoo do this more than me, my main site has over 100 pages of unique, originial content, Google loves it, etc.

Of course, it would be a disaster if Google banned me, Google was getting me 4x the traffic of Yahoo when I was doing well in Yahoo, and now Google is everything.
  13. Contributing User

My best guess for what happened to you is that a competitor wanted your site out of the way and submitted it as being in violation of those policies. I am dealing with a similar situation.
  15. Croatia - Hrvatska
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Now before you just go saying, "yup, that's what got you banned",
    before you ask for explanation, give link then, becose we all can just guess without it
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

From Yahoo:

My site used to be in the database. Why did it drop out of your results?

To see if your site is indexed but is not showing up in search results for a particular query, search for your site using the title and an identifiable unique phrase from the text on your page.
    If you want a page to appear in web search results, make sure that page includes some unique text to be indexed. Pages with no unique text or no text at all may drop out of the index or may never be indexed. Also, refer to the Site Guidelines to see whether your site is in compliance with Yahoo's content policies. Sites that violate the Yahoo! Site Guidelines may be removed from the index.

Lastly, it is possible that your site was unavailable for crawling during an index refresh, and it could re-appear following another index update.

....hopefully this was the case, but it seems unlikely. Only my index page is in Yahoo, and even that ranks very poorly. I'm having trouble finding a contact for Yahoo, but from what I've read, contacting Y! is a pointless endeavor.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I wrote to Yahoo, claiming that I believed my site had been banned, and got this response. I will bold the important parts. I guess I'm screwed. It's very unfortunate for me, because my site is actually very nice and helpful and legitimate. I'll see if I can lose the ban, but I'm not optimistic. Here's their letter:

Hello David,

Thanks for writing the Yahoo! Search and Directory Support.

I understand that you have a question about why your site was dropped
    from Yahoo! Search.

It has been determined that your site may not comply with Yahoo!'s
    Content Quality Guidelines located at:

http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/ysearch/deletions/deletions-05.html.

Below are some answers to common questions regarding this issue:

Q: What are some of the common reasons that a site may violate Yahoo!'s
    Content Quality Guidelines?

A: Yahoo!'s Content Quality Guidelines (link above) outline what we are
    and are not looking for in pages that we index. Listed below are some
    of
    the more common examples of how a site may violate these guidelines:

- Cloaking (showing crawlers deceptive content about a site)
    - Massive domain interlinking- Use of affiliate programs without the
    addition of substantial unique content
    - Use of reciprocal link programs (aka "link farms")
    - Hidden text
    - Excessive keyword repetition

Q: If my site violates Yahoo!'s Content Quality Guidelines, can I still
    use the Search Submit inclusion program?

A: All pages submitted to Search Submit are editorially reviewed. If a
    site has is not in compliance with the content policy guidelines, it is
    likely to be rejected by the Search Submit program.

Q: If my site violates Yahoo!'s Content Policy Guidelines, can I use
    the
    Yahoo! Directory Submit program?

A: The Yahoo! Directory and Yahoo! Search Index are different systems.
    Inclusion or exclusion from one does not affect the other.

Q: How can I have my site re-reviewed?

A: Please review our content quality guidelines to make sure that your
    site meets all of them. When you feel the site is ready, please
    complete
    the form located at:

http://add.yahoo.com/fast/help/us/ysearch/cgi_rereview

to request a re-review of your site. You may wish to include an
    explanation of unique features on your site, or details of changes to
    your site's content that may assist our editors in their evaluation.

Please allow several weeks for the review process, YST indexing, and a
    complete refresh of the database before checking
    http://search.yahoo.com
    to see if your site is listed in the Yahoo! Search Index. We do not
    offer specifics detailing how an individual site is not in compliance
    with our guidelines, but we will review your site individually. You
    will
    not be receiving further notification regarding your request for a
    second review, and we are not able to offer the option of another
    review.

Thank you for taking the time to make the Yahoo! Search Index even
    better.

For answers to other questions you may have regarding Yahoo! Search,
    please see:
    http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/ysearch/

For answers to other questions you may have regarding the Yahoo!
    Directory, please see:
    http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/dir/

Search & Directory Support
    Yahoo! Inc.

Comments on this post

• pteam agrees : Sorry to hear that for you.
  21. Contributing User

Thats what I was talking about. So you need to make some changes and then submit it for re-evaluation.